Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It was looking a little dicey for my first character. But since I bought a metal armor and a high-calibre assault rifle things are looking up. Enemies don't live all that long now, thanks to the burst fire feats.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks and brofists ArchAngel, Kem0sabe.
dankk2.gif

So I guess you're a guy "from the next tunnel over", even though that tunnel can't be found in the game, and now you're here to help out. Maybe some dude from another cave, where resources were too scarce so he moved on to look for work elsewhere, and found his way here, perhaps while drunk, sick, or hung over, because he has no idea exactly how he got here and can't find his way back. That fit about right?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Thanks and brofists ArchAngel, Kem0sabe.
dankk2.gif

So I guess you're a guy "from the next tunnel over", even though that tunnel can't be found in the game, and now you're here to help out. Maybe some dude from another cave, where resources were too scarce so he moved on to look for work elsewhere, and found his way here, perhaps while drunk, sick, or hung over, because he has no idea exactly how he got here and can't find his way back. That fit about right?
A bit more complicated than that. You passed some tests although nobody goes into details about them, only that they became harder in time. Also seems most of this area of Underrail is very chaotic so you could have been anything and from anywhere.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Also, is there a key to prevent movement during combat?

It's really annoying to misclick a dog (very small "clickbox") and end up walking all the way towards the enemy.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A bit more complicated than that. You passed some tests although nobody goes into details about them, only that they became harder in time. Also seems most of this area of Underrail is very chaotic so you could have been anything and from anywhere.
Thanks. So my story can still work as long as I add: and then some stranger said, "Yo, want a job?" and they put him through unspecified tests and job interviews for an unspecified amount of time and he slept in the HQ which explains why he still doesn't know his way around.

Alex

Arcane
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I was wondering about those psychic abilities. Each seems to have a minimum skill level associated, but I still can't buy them even though my effective skill level is higher than what is needed. Do you need to have actual skill on that level? If so, why?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I was wondering about those psychic abilities. Each seems to have a minimum skill level associated, but I still can't buy them even though my effective skill level is higher than what is needed. Do you need to have actual skill on that level? If so, why?
Trainers only consider your base ski level and not you stat adjusted skill level.

Ein Axt

Educated
I'm having a blast with my knife fighter. Until it hit me that I'm almost at... Depot A. I hope 10 agi+cave hopper steak in combination with max dodge will get me through.

Also is there a way NOT to use a melee weapon's electrical charge? I can imagine charging up my knife only to encounter rathounds wasting my charge.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I really appreciate the new "introductory flavor description" most NPCs have received, even though they're sometimes worded a bit awkwardly.

epeli I'd intended to help with the grammar and typo cleanup as you invited me to do months ago, but earlier this year I was quite busy (moving to a different city, settling an estate, etc.); also, I thought there would be another Early Access version prior to 1.0 and had been waiting for that.

Is that still on the table? Tanner offered me some "money coins" earlier today on my way out of SGS. ;)

Ellef

Deplorable
Any way to get merchants to refresh their inventories?

FFS, the first time I visited Junkyard everyone and his dog had awesome carrier vests for sale. Ofc I could not buy them that early in the game. Now that I've more than enough cash, not a single carrier vest in sight. And I can't face the dogs/mutties in depot A because my DR is too low.

Help?

Do you mean the armor or the component to make armour? Anyway they refresh when you level I think, they have for me.

Just found my own insulated vest finally to make my Insulated Tungsten Steel armor. The clang it makes when plebes try in vain to penetrate your armor is so satisfying :D

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Any way to get merchants to refresh their inventories?

FFS, the first time I visited Junkyard everyone and his dog had awesome carrier vests for sale. Ofc I could not buy them that early in the game. Now that I've more than enough cash, not a single carrier vest in sight. And I can't face the dogs/mutties in depot A because my DR is too low.

Help?

Do you mean the armor or the component to make armour? Anyway they refresh when you level I think, they have for me.

Just found my own insulated vest finally to make my Insulated Tungsten Steel armor. The clang it makes when plebes try in vain to penetrate your armor is so satisfying :D

Yeah, I found a crappy carrier vest from the chick that sells electronics stuff. Made a metal armor, but now I got a very nice galvanic carrier vest and I'm going for that tactical vest I always wanted.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm all for a grammar cleanup, but I hope "money coins" stay in! :lol:

MONEY COINS HAS TO GO!

A week from now, Codexers in this thread will be divided into MoneyCoiners and Anti-MoneyCoiners, and the arguments will span dozens of pages.

ST'Ranger

Augur
Thanks. So my story can still work as long as I add: and then some stranger said, "Yo, want a job?" and they put him through unspecified tests and job interviews for an unspecified amount of time and he slept in the HQ which explains why he still doesn't know his way around.

South Gate Station (SGS) is an up-and-coming geopolitical power in the local underrail. Their leader has transformed them in recent years from a scrapheap to a resourceful haven home to military and scientific experts to rival the best available. They're highly dependent on their experts and the expertise available to them to not only solve the daily difficulties of life in the underrail (food, clean air, power) but also to stay ahead of the vast political game that's being pushed by the big players like the Protectorate/United Stations.

Your character is someone who applied to join this extremely exclusive station and passed the rigorous tests supplied by the leader. It's not clear where you're from - maybe from Core City or Foundry or Camp Hathor. Maybe you used to be one of the pirates in the waterways or ran with the Black Eel gang. It could be that you're a Biocorp defector or a disillusioned ex-Protectorate. Either way, your past is not important, what's important now is that you prove your worth to the leadership and make your place in your new home. You made it to the top of the scrap heap, and it's in your best interests to earn your keep to stay there.

Tigranes

Arcane

South Gate Station (SGS) is an up-and-coming geopolitical power in the local underrail. Their leader has transformed them in recent years from a scrapheap to a resourceful haven home to military and scientific experts to rival the best available. They're highly dependent on their experts and the expertise available to them to not only solve the daily difficulties of life in the underrail (food, clean air, power) but also to stay ahead of the vast political game that's being pushed by the big players like the Protectorate/United Stations.

Your character is someone who applied to join this extremely exclusive station and passed the rigorous tests supplied by the leader. It's not clear where you're from - maybe from Core City or Foundry or Camp Hathor. Maybe you used to be one of the pirates in the waterways or ran with the Black Eel gang. It could be that you're a Biocorp defector or a disillusioned ex-Protectorate. Either way, your past is not important, what's important now is that you prove your worth to the leadership and make your place in your new home. You made it to the top of the scrap heap, and it's in your best interests to earn your keep to stay there.

All this is true, but god help me, I can't bring myself to ever give the tiniest of shits about any of the writing. I mean, it's all there - Fallouty faction struggles in Junkyard, the effort to colonise or at least safeguard the dangerous areas by SGS, the hodgepodge of slums, mass media and cult in Core City.... all great stuff, but then the actual minute-to-minute talking is so boring.

Ah well. This game could have zero writing and I'd still be happy with it. Going through xbow/stealth on Hard and it doesn't seem any harder than before, but still challenging enough to make you use your resources and fun.

epeli

Arcane
Blaine The very short beta and sudden release was a complete surprise for me as well. There was no time for thorough QA. We barely had enough time to ensure all the new content works and isn't impossibly hard for certain build types.

StygSoftware will keep polishing Underrail post-release, so yes, reporting bad grammur and tyops is still on the table. Would be great to have a native english speaker actively helping. Much of the community on underrail forums seems to be eastern european. Can't expect us to write coherent english posts, much less fix english grammar.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'd like to help. I'm not a native English speaker but I'm trained in linguistics.

epeli

Arcane
Of course, anyone willing to spare the time and effort can do something to help. All you have to do is take notes/screenshots of issues you notice while playing and post them at the grammar sticky on underrail forums: http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=241.0

Anything that gets reported will be fixed very fast and the fixes usually go live within the next hotfix.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Cool. I'll be overseas till next week, but will see if I can get in some gaming time after that. I also want to write a GOG review for Underrail (and consequently pushing the retarded reviews to the second page). Might as well do it for Steam too since I've got a Steam key for it.

Zetor

Arcane
All this is true, but god help me, I can't bring myself to ever give the tiniest of shits about any of the writing. I mean, it's all there - Fallouty faction struggles in Junkyard, the effort to colonise or at least safeguard the dangerous areas by SGS, the hodgepodge of slums, mass media and cult in Core City.... all great stuff, but then the actual minute-to-minute talking is so boring.

Ah well. This game could have zero writing and I'd still be happy with it. Going through xbow/stealth on Hard and it doesn't seem any harder than before, but still challenging enough to make you use your resources and fun.
Yea, I have to agree with this (though I'm just finishing up Junktownyard, maybe it'll get better later). Going with a terse / plain writing style is not a problem by itself -- I know that the game wasn't made by native speakers, and simplistic ESL writing is much better than tryhard ESL writing. Thing is, if a game is hyped as "a worthwhile successor to Fallout", it sets some expectations for the writing as well... and imo the game doesn't live up to that, even assuming the typos / grammatical errors will eventually get fixed.

Game's still p. good, though.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
In my view, Underrail blows Fallout away in virtually every category except atmosphere (they're more-or-less equal here; Fallout may be a scosche better) and writing. Fallout wins hands-down in the writing department. In particular, the black humor and interesting/zany characterizations of Fallout are hard to beat. Writing is intertwined with atmosphere, so that is a factor.

I've always hesitated to call Underrail a "successor to" Fallout. Instead, I would say that it is absolutely worthy to stand on the same podium, although its place on that podium depends on how polarized you are into the storyfag/combatfag camps. For combatfags (or more properly, game-mechanics-fags, because there's far more meat there than just combat), Underrail is vastly superior. Hardcore storyfags who go in hoping for Fallout: Chris Avellone Drives to Your House and Gives You a Blowie While You Play Edition will probably be disappointed.

If Underrail had writing on par with Fallout's, it wouldn't be a "successor," it would be the new and indisputable king of all Codexia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom