Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

CHEMS

Scholar
dont bother with 160 lockpicking and 140 hacking doors in dlc area, nothing there.
Hacking and opening something at first stop of the train actually opens something... Had to return to that area later. Or perhaps some styg sneaky fix?
After talking to commander and walking back, there was extra section with lunatics. Or perhaps styf fix. Again no idea

New rift at top left corner of second DLC area, you can get there without combat.
yes, and Ive confirmed that you need juice while speaking with their commander. Speaking of, im stuck there now
battlefield. Each direction give hints at enemy numbers. Seem to be following homm vocabulary
Few: 1-4
Several: 5-9
Pack: 10-19
Lots: 20-49
Horde: 50-99
Throng: 100-249
Swarm: 250-499
Zounds: 500-999
Legion: 1000+

However, did few tries on dominating and I just cant clear it(dunno if its difficulty related). What I gathered so far:
rifts numbers appear to be random.
north squad gets anihilated on 3rd turn. Always, even against vulnerable gate.
Have trouble assessing mild thread. Sometimes was able to clear it with 1/3 of the troops, sometimes not.
Not sure if I must assign troops to all gates or not. If i get legion everywhere and defend, it doesnt seem to matter much between defending all spots versus going all single
I often get legion all the way 3 turns in the row. Try to defend on those, be it evenly or concentrated and I just keep losing numbers until its game over

anyone with proper tactics? Or is it dominating diff being a problem?
The real question:

DO THEY DROP COOL SHIT?

MerchantKing

Learned
dont bother with 160 lockpicking and 140 hacking doors in dlc area, nothing there.
Hacking and opening something at first stop of the train actually opens something... Had to return to that area later. Or perhaps some styg sneaky fix?
After talking to commander and walking back, there was extra section with lunatics. Or perhaps styf fix. Again no idea

New rift at top left corner of second DLC area, you can get there without combat.
yes, and Ive confirmed that you need juice while speaking with their commander. Speaking of, im stuck there now
battlefield. Each direction give hints at enemy numbers. Seem to be following homm vocabulary

However, did few tries on dominating and I just cant clear it(dunno if its difficulty related). What I gathered so far:
Have trouble assessing mild thread. Sometimes was able to clear it with 1/3 of the troops, sometimes not.
Not sure if I must assign troops to all gates or not. If i get legion everywhere and defend, it doesnt seem to matter much between defending all spots versus going all single
I often get legion all the way 3 turns in the row. Try to defend on those, be it evenly or concentrated and I just keep losing numbers until its game over

The real question:

DO THEY DROP COOL SHIT?
Does it matter? Just kill them all.

CHEMS

Scholar

The real question:

DO THEY DROP COOL SHIT?
Does it matter? Just kill them all.
Yes it most positively, absolutely matter. I must loot.

I must loot.

I kept trying and eventually I won. I think it was just luck. I didn't do anything different, I just lost less guys, which meant I had more available to attack/defend so I didn't lose any more. And since clearing a side stops it attacking it just got easier and easier. I only lost four men in the entire thing.
The real question:

DO THEY DROP COOL SHIT?
You get 10 xp for winning, so that's a lot.
It also lets you peacefully take the commander's helmet. Though you could already murder him and take it, so that's just if you want to feel nice.
+3 psi slots, +40 to all psi skills, +5 psi regen, +1 will, but increases enemy crit chance by 10%, and completely fucks perception/initiative/dodge/evasion/stealth. Might be useful for some weird metal armour pure psi build, but definitely not for general use.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Spark Mandriller did you do it on dominating?
also I found out that with each conquered square it gets harder. As such I tried to defend and attack only in single direction. Indeed it allowed me to go further but in the end I failed as even with full squad you cant attack into swarm.

did you find out what to do with that fuse switch and computer in the cave?

DO THEY DROP COOL SHIT?
nah, coolest shit you get at the very beginning, the lazor gun. There is also heavy plasma gun later on.
Dunno what you get for surviving training area fight with 40 or so enemies, my build cant handle that

CHEMS

Scholar
I kept trying and eventually I won. I think it was just luck. I didn't do anything different, I just lost less guys, which meant I had more available to attack/defend so I didn't lose any more. And since clearing a side stops it attacking it just got easier and easier. I only lost four men in the entire thing.
The real question:

DO THEY DROP COOL SHIT?
You get 10 xp for winning, so that's a lot.
It also lets you peacefully take the commander's helmet. Though you could already murder him and take it, so that's just if you want to feel nice.
+3 psi slots, +40 to all psi skills, +5 psi regen, +1 will, but increases enemy crit chance by 10%, and completely fucks perception/initiative/dodge/evasion/stealth. Might be useful for some weird metal armour pure psi build, but definitely not for general use.
This makes the Al Fabet in me very angry and can only be resolved through supreme murderhobo'ing.

I'll genocide these things today when i get back from work

also I found out that with each conquered square it gets harder. As such I tried to defend and attack only in single direction. Indeed it allowed me to go further but in the end I failed as even with full squad you cant attack into swarm.

Yeah, dominating. Eventually.
And I did it again just now because I saw a tattoo in the new images section of the wiki, so that was another 2 hours or something. And once again it was just luck. I did the same thing I always did until it felt nice and started spawning swarms instead of legions so I could attack/defend more easily. And then once I took the second front so I only had two left to split guys between it was incredibly easy.
You brought the torch, right? If you have it in inventory then it pops up. Must be a buff of some sort, you can move it between fronts. Has to help somehow.
I did get a new tattoo (+50 resolve) but it wasn't the one on the wiki, so I don't know where you get that one. Maybe it's for the training room with like 20 guys? Except I can't clear that room so I can't test.

Update:
Did manage to finally clear the training room. I had to spam napalm grenades everywhere to funnel movement, and got really lucky since some of the bad guys seemed to get lost. I actually managed to end combat at one point, which I really needed since I was out of psi reserves (metathermics build from years ago, so old it doesn't have plasma beam).
No reward just for beating it, but it does unlock the mystery tattoo. It's +2 psi crit chance when wearing chest armour with 50% penalty or more. Not very useful. But I suppose most tattoos aren't.

Last edited:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
I'm getting there, I'll get there, this is all I wanted
1anbpyw.jpg

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Newbie question:

I played UR some years ago (2016 or so) and was somewhere halfway thru the game when I had to drop it, and later lost my saves.
I had started it twice to fix my build before, but I couldn’t bring myself to play again through the beginning, which I found very tedious.

Now, I’ve read that over the years Styg has modified the game quite a bit. Did he by any chance get rid of the boring bits?

Vatnik Wumao
Newbie question:

I played UR some years ago (2016 or so) and was somewhere halfway thru the game when I had to drop it, and later lost my saves.
I had started it twice to fix my build before, but I couldn’t bring myself to play again through the beginning, which I found very tedious.

Now, I’ve read that over the years Styg has modified the game quite a bit. Did he by any chance get rid of the boring bits?
The big change is psi. You need to "memorize" spells and memorizing spells from different schools causes casting cost to go up. Natural regeneration of psi points is also capped, you need drugs to refresh that cap.

jackofshadows

Magister
He didn't get rid of anything. In fact it's the opposite: even not counting both new DLCs there's a lot of content has been added. So if you found the beginning tedious, it's still there however once you get past the Depot A - the game really opens up so you can find content for your liking.

That said, I think fun in UR very much correlates with the character build so I'd advise look for them here in the next thread or elsewhere until you really like the idea of a build and then just take it or modify somehow.

Because the game's essentially about exploration (here I'd say where the Expedition really shines) and combat, combat and combat again so if combat itself feels like tedium it won't worth it. For sure there're some notable characters and quests but again - not the game's focus.

There's also global map now and the in-game speed hack so to say.

actually no torch, was wondering about it. I went there with mere lvl18 save and I dont think like repplaying huge chunk of content.
I'm not sure it'd even be possible without the torch. Unless I'm missing something.
He didn't get rid of anything.
He added extra gate parts in DC, so you can skip some of the areas there. Which is great if you ask me, labyrinth sucks and I don't want to go there.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I'm not sure it'd even be possible without the torch. Unless I'm missing something.
that confirms all the suspicions that I had. Thanks!

Since its not like it will unlock anything extra I'll just call it a day. Maybe in future when I think like replaying everything again.
Too bad I lost all my completionist saves

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Thanks all for the answers.
In-game speedhack sounds like an acceptable compromise, I will take another shot at the game after Colony Ship.

Will skip the rec to follow builds tho, won't deliberately play a gimped char, but minmaxing every step of a playthrough makes it a chore for me.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Will skip the rec to follow builds tho, won't deliberately play a gimped char, but minmaxing every step of a playthrough makes it a chore for me.
just pick proper difficulty. People in this thread play optimized builds for dominating. You should be able to beat hard with whatever(stick to some theme obviously), as long as its not throwing knives.

Can always use build planner and post it here for some pointers. Its not good idea to play on dominating as 1st playthrough anyway

Is full Psi reasonably possible now with the change to needing psi reserves refilled? Because I'm totally spent just killing the rathounds and a refill costs an arm and a leg.

Parabalus

Arcane
Thanks all for the answers.
In-game speedhack sounds like an acceptable compromise, I will take another shot at the game after Colony Ship.

Advice for a first playthrough is take a build with stealth, makes your life much more comfy.

that confirms all the suspicions that I had. Thanks!

Since its not like it will unlock anything extra I'll just call it a day. Maybe in future when I think like replaying everything again.
Too bad I lost all my completionist saves
You can add items from other playthroughs to your current one, e.g. add Phreak quest items so you can skip phones etc. Or Juice stockpile from lvl 1.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
decided to do some math regarding lazor pistol vs stunner.
Well, its hard to compare apples to apples
tl;dr; if you discard all the utility bonuses for simpler math, avg round is comparable in dmg output to 155q lazor pistol
19dex character, 50AP, focus stim, infused rathound, seeker googles, better criticals obv

lazor pistol(155q)
20-27(23.5 avg)
15 AP(8)
10 range
6% crit chance
315% crit bonus(530)
10/151 magazine (can go down to like 2.5 usage if you forego polarizer)
45% to polarize

the stunner(cant be refubrished, at least by myles)
25-40(32.5 avg)
12 AP(6)
11 range
10% crit chance
175% crit bonus(250)
5/100 magazine
always polarizes
35% to immobilize(cheap shots is at 15!)
bypasses 25% energy shield
extra 10%dmg to robots

crit chanceavg dmgap costavg crit dmgshots per roundoops all crits roundavg shotavg round
155lazor
0.58​
23.5​
8​
124.55​
6​
747.3​
82.109​
492.654​
stunner
0.62​
32.5​
6​
81.25​
8​
650​
62.725​
501.8​

yes, looking only at base wpn dmg in here. Stunner in my tests was immobilizing a lot, up to the point where I was questioning if its 35% chance. In single round you are expected to immobilize 2-3 targets.
Which trigger opportunist. Also its even better robot killer than lazor pistol already was. With 100% polarize chance I view it as ultimate naga beater.
Knowing it performs so well, one can skip practical physicist feat, or even some electronics skill points. Unless someone is able to find 170q+ laser emitter, it will improve avg dmg by 1-2. Still not sure if Id consider it worthy investment.

Zeem

Learned

Yeah, dominating. Eventually.
And I did it again just now because I saw a tattoo in the new images section of the wiki, so that was another 2 hours or something. And once again it was just luck. I did the same thing I always did until it felt nice and started spawning swarms instead of legions so I could attack/defend more easily. And then once I took the second front so I only had two left to split guys between it was incredibly easy.
You brought the torch, right? If you have it in inventory then it pops up. Must be a buff of some sort, you can move it between fronts. Has to help somehow.
I did get a new tattoo (+50 resolve) but it wasn't the one on the wiki, so I don't know where you get that one. Maybe it's for the training room with like 20 guys? Except I can't clear that room so I can't test.

Update:
Did manage to finally clear the training room. I had to spam napalm grenades everywhere to funnel movement, and got really lucky since some of the bad guys seemed to get lost. I actually managed to end combat at one point, which I really needed since I was out of psi reserves (metathermics build from years ago, so old it doesn't have plasma beam).
No reward just for beating it, but it does unlock the mystery tattoo. It's +2 psi crit chance when wearing chest armour with 50% penalty or more. Not very useful. But I suppose most tattoos aren't.
I've heard that TC skill also affects it, so psiless characters are effectively boned, even with Torch.

Comrade_Xi

Novice
Wumao
Is it true that ''Expeditions'' is basically Deep Caverns 2.0 (read it on some random Steam review)? Is it worth playing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom