Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

hell bovine

Arcane
Psi points used to be based on Will and/or character level (possibly even Intelligence, not sure), but were reworked into this new, standardized system. It makes sense, because many psi spells remain strong and useful from levels 2-30 and if their costs remained the same while psi points continued to climb, at high levels psi users wouldn't need to carefully manage their Premeditation, Thermodynamicity combos, feat cooldowns, medicine cooldowns, etc.

After a certain point, a psi user will be out of psi, all medicines on cooldown, and just barely fizzling out a little bit of bullshit each turn. I'm enjoying psi because deciding which spells to cast and in what order, and when to pop consumables is like a little puzzle with multiple solutions during each challenging combat.
The problem with such a system is that - from my testing, which admittedly was done mostly on Wyatt in the mutant junkyard, because he can take a lot of a beating :P - it favors the characters who use psi as a minor skill as opposed to dedicated psi users. I found combining the area effects of grenades with magic far more potent than combining only magic effects, because even with psi boosters and adrenaline shots, due to psi costs it simply takes more turns to set something up. And most of the time it is less of a hassle to spam cryokinesis, due to the range and low cost.

Fry

Arcane
Really enjoying how the oddity system makes exploration rewarding, rather than the usual OCD-driven chore to clear maps just because they're there to be cleared. Well done, Styg.

A couple of small QOL suggestions..

- It would be cool if you could remap not only the base action bar keys, but also the shift- and ctrl- slots.
- Not a fan of right-click scrolling in windowed mode. It's very jumpy for me. It would be nice to have an option to lock the cursor to the window so edge scrolling works. You could assign a key (such as ALT) to lock and unlock it as needed. Alternatively, how about a mouse sensitivity option so the jumpiness can be toned down.

Zetor

Arcane
Yea, I find that a psi/guns hybrid works well -- psi for major area damage and crowd control, guns for taking out the stunned enemies. Crossbows may be even better, since you get range and stealth advantage... easier to stay at max hp for that -5 psi power cost feat. Don't even need to max int, natural regen at 8 is fine when combined with all the efficiency / psi pool management feats (probably would be fine at 6-7 even).

Traps is also a natural fit, since winning the tougher encounters as a psi user seems to be all about setting up the battlefield and not allowing any of the harder-hitting enemies to get even a single hit on the player (I've been one-shot by random crossbow shots too many times to count). Setting up a deathtrap maze at the ironhead warehouse and then watching the raiders stumble into them just to melt to ranged psi powers followed up by some gunfire to pick off the stragglers felt strangely satisfying. Perhaps I should rename my character 'Jigsaw'...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
- Not a fan of right-click scrolling in windowed mode. It's very jumpy for me. It would be nice to have an option to lock the cursor to the window so edge scrolling works. You could assign a key (such as ALT) to lock and unlock it as needed. Alternatively, how about a mouse sensitivity option so the jumpiness can be toned down.

You could rebind the Character Sheet to another key, the first four Quick Buttons to F1-F4, and use WASD to scroll.

Personally, I use the thumbstick of my keypad to scroll the screen, works like a charm.

fc028eee2e.png

Raapys

Arcane
Anyone know if the Conditioning feat is actually working? The bonus (10% mech/heat/cold + 1% per constitution over 5) is not showing up in combat stats.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Styg is the conditioning feat bugged? it doesnt show up on my combat stats, sez i have no resistances whatsoever despite having 10 CON

Conditioning is a feat. It does not increase your armor resistances, instead it reduces the final amount of damage taken (after resistances/thresholds) by said amount. Thus it works against armor-piercing attacks, but doesn't show up on Combat Stats menu nor in combat log as resisted damage.

ST'Ranger

Augur
There is a veritable barbarian horde invading this thread with bad information, miscommunication, and ill-informed conspiracy. And they will smash bleeding into the solid gates of knowledge.

1) The answer to "is X required in Underrail?" is "no". You don't need psi. You don't need stealth. You don't need constitution. You don't need heavy armor. You don't need anything in particular except to learn the game mechanics and the statistics system.

2) Dodge and Evasion are perfectly fine, learn to read others' thoughts in context. What Lhynn is saying is that Dodge and Evasion are no good on a heavy armor character. Heavy armor means massive armor penalties which means massive Dodge and Evasion penalties. These are essentially wasted points on such a character. Dodge/Evasion on a lightly armored character is superlative. Refer to 1).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

How Does Underrail Work?

The statistics system in Underrail is as follows. Skills (e.g. Guns, Melee, Mechanics) are the ultimate factor in consideration for determining the effectiveness of your character. Attributes (e.g. Strength, Dexterity) scale points spent on skills. Therefore, if you want to be amazing at something (like Dodge/Evasion), you will need to pump the skills as high as possible and have a corresponding high attribute to get the absolute most juice out of those spent skill points.

Because of this very simple scalable concept, almost any character you can imagine will work in Underrail if you can work out a way to efficiently combine the two main concepts of Skills and Attributes. The easiest way to build a character is to choose an offensive method and a defensive method and build the character's skills and attributes around those two things.

The offensive methods in Underrail are mostly obvious, with perhaps it being worth mentioning that Psi skills offer as much offense as e.g. Guns or Melee. The defensive methods are less visible to a novice player.

Defensive Methods
a) Dodge/Evasion/Stealth
b) Constitution
c) Armor (light, "medium", and heavy)

a) Dodge and Evasion are the go-to for almost any conceivable Stealth-based character. Pump that Agility up and reap massive rewards from your 3 main defensive skills. Light armor fits into these with no or very few penalties, providing a slight amount of protection but mainly skill bonuses and whatnot. D/E will not save you alone. Use your Stealth to initiate and give yourself better odds in the fight.

b) Constitution + "medium" armor is a great defense system because it's generally good against all comers. High-quality flak armor blocks obscene amounts of damage from many weapon types, and the beefy HP pool deals with the rest. Poisons and other fixed damage are laughable against this defense. There is a pretty diverse array of "medium" armors with slightly different uses.

c) Light armor provides essentially no protection but can give many other benefits like attribute and skill increases, higher movespeed, and other interesting bonuses. Medium armor tends to mean Flak armor or similar, but technically any armor with 20% or greater penalty is not going to be considered light. Heavy armor requires high Strength (up to 9 to the best of my extensive knowledge) and huge armor penalty with immense damage reduction.

These defenses can obviously be mixed and matched to an extent. Dodge/Evasion do not combine with heavy armor because heavy armor means massive penalties to Dodge/Evasion (and Stealth).

Alfons

Prophet
Hell, you don't even need any combat skills. Take all the speech and crafting skills and intimidate, craft, convince, and barter your way through the whole game.

Ein Axt

Educated
I'll weigh in about the font issue.

The font, even at large option, is not very comfortable to my eyes. It's not bad enough that it would prevent me from playing the game. But I'm thinking maybe people with worse eyesight than me is not having the best of times playing this glorious game.

Getting a very large or modded font uploaded somewhere will make some people's Christmasn even merrier.

-

Edit: Anyone else having trouble finding the nightvision component for the goggles? I'm already level 16 and I haven't seen a single one in any shop...

Last edited:

Fry

Arcane
It's more an issue of style than size. Pointillism is a cool art style from the 19th century, but probably not the best option for a computer font.

Alfons

Prophet
Edit: Anyone else having trouble finding the nightvision component for the goggles? I'm already level 16 and I haven't seen a single one in any shop...
The wonders of randomness. Check the electronics shops and general stores, wait 2 hours and try again. I found one on a shelf before I was level 4.

Ein Axt

Educated
My mistake. I wasn't level 16. I am level 18. That is some fucked up RNG right there.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I got the part from the Junkyard Depot A and managed to reach lvl 9 along with it. Spent most time running around in stealth bypassing as many enemies as possible. Killed the Mutant and his dogs with combinations of Caltrops, HE grenades, Flashbangs and Shock Bolts. Noticed that Sentry Bots cannot kill me anymore now that I got a nice Kelvar Vest with decent mechanical resistance and my Evasion score is approaching 60. I also got myself mechanics to 50 and can now craft a better crossbow.
I am still in Depot A, it is fucking huge and I cannot carry all the items I looted there :D
I will need to do another trip into it to clean up the rest and scour every corner for oddities :)

This game is becoming more and more fun with each hour played with is opposite of PoE and WL2 which became less fun as times passed...

epeli

Arcane
It's more an issue of style than size. Pointillism is a cool art style from the 19th century, but probably not the best option for a computer font.

Pointillism? That would be witty... if the dotted logo font was the one people are complaining about. :roll:

2vMLH5y.png

Fry

Arcane
Yes, I can read that. if I squint. Not a great standard of quality, but that's a silly example in any case since it's unrealistically small.

I'm 10 hours into the game playing at 1920x1200 on a 24" monitor with all fonts set to large. With those settings, it's mostly ok. Still don't enjoy reading big blocks of text, but I can live with it.

Here's a little game designer/customer service tip... if several people among this small sample size of Codexers are telling you there's a readability problem with your font, then there's a readability problem with your font. Is it worth Styg prioritizing font work over gameplay issues? No, but it should be on a list of QOL improvements.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I have several hours in the game (by the way, this game completely fucked up my vacation ... but whatever) and the first impression is good:
- The beginning is slow as shit but it starts to pick up after a few hours,
- The amount of customization is staggering but tbh I'm not yet comfortable with the combat mechanics.
- I really love the fact that every skill is useful.
- I'm really impressed by the oddities system - I love it. It rewards exploration. I'm free to creatively kill something or avoid the fight. How come this was not implemented earlier? :)

Now I go back to lurking. This thread spoils stuff.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes, I can read that. if I squint. Not a great standard of quality, but that's a silly example in any case since it's unrealistically small.

I'm 10 hours into the game playing at 1920x1200 on a 24" monitor with all fonts set to large. With those settings, it's mostly ok. Still don't enjoy reading big blocks of text, but I can live with it.

Here's a little game designer/customer service tip... if several people among this small sample size of Codexers are telling you there's a readability problem with your font, then there's a readability problem with your font. Is it worth Styg prioritizing font work over gameplay issues? No, but it should be on a list of QOL improvements.

You are right. There is a problem with the font size. Odd decision, it should be easy to fix.

However don't let this crap diminish your experience. Use a smaller resolution and enjoy the game. I think it looks better in a smaller resolution (perhaps big pixels bring back nostalgia ... idk).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom