Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
System.Exception: Failed to load locale 'LU-SouthGateStation - Lower Underrail: South Gate Station'. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryObjectWithMapTyped.Read(__BinaryParser input)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.ReadObjectWithMapTyped(BinaryHeaderEnum binaryHeaderEnum)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.Run()
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
at byw.DeserializeFromBinaryInternal[T](Stream stream, SerializationBinder binder, Int64 dataModelVersion)
at byw.DeserializeFromBinaryFileCompressed[T](String filePath, SerializationBinder binder, Boolean tryToRetrieveDataModelVersion)
at agb.a(String A_0)
at ato.xu(ep A_0, Boolean A_1)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at b4d.LogAndThrow[T](Exception innerException, LogSeverity severity, String message, Object[] messageArgs)
at a7e.ab8(Boolean A_0, Boolean A_1)
at avz.wj(af8 A_0)
at wv.c(af8 A_0)
at a4j.a(af8 A_0)
at a4j.b(af8 A_0)
at a4j.cw(af8 A_0)
at wv.e(af8 A_0)

Latest zone transition error. Any fix?

Bobby_Typhoon

Novice
This HAS to be satire or a troll, he hit every point of decline.

94b64e8aff.png

Just gave this jabroni a thumbs down... cause Steam hasn't implemented a way to reach through the internet and choke people with my own two hands.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is it a good idea to start my 1st playtrough with oddity system?

I remember it for the first few hours I put in some time ago. I have no idea if it works for the whole run.
It works great and encourages exploration. Go for it. You also get XP for doing quests, BTW.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I remember it for the first few hours I put in some time ago. I have no idea if it works for the whole run.
It works great and encourages exploration. Go for it. You also get XP for doing quests, BTW.
Well it allowed me to sneak through Burrowers, pick up a oddity from a stone and get hell out of Dodge without needing to fight any of them. I only needed to kill a few small spawn at entrance. So oddity system is cool. It makes Stealth characters seem even more fun

Villagkouras

Arcane
Ok, so I bought it and it's downloading.

I have about 30 minutes to start playing, so, this got to be quick:

I haven't played it at all, I'm completely noob into this game, any non spoiler tips for the character creation? Basically, I want to experiment but I don't want to slam my head on a gimped character. Is there anything to look out or is this balanced?

Oh and another question: Is stealth mandatory in this game? I hate stealth in games.

roshan

Arcane
Really don't understand all the fuss about Fallout. I played most of Fallout last year and it had really terrible writing. Underrail's writing is quite a bit better.

Could be the rest of us are tasting that delicious nostalgia frosting. It's been a while since I've played either of the originals, so it's hard for me to compare and contrast; I finally got tired of playing them 5-6 years ago.

Pop culture references or no, I think that Fallout 2 had the best characterizations. Myron, Marcus, Sulik, Hakunin, First Bitchizen Lynette, and Dick "McCock" Richardson really stand out.

Oh yeah, the characters in Fallout 2 were definitely well done, the talking heads in particular were quite memorable and certainly better than Underrail. There's a massive improvement in actual characterization and writing from Fallout 1 to Fallout 2. I had posted some of my impressions of Fallout in this thread:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/underwhelmed-by-fallout.96549/

It's really just the original that I think was pretty terribly written. At one point I had enough of Fallout 1, and started up Fallout 2 again, and it was almost a shock how much better written even the most boring locations like Arroyo and Klamath were compared to the original.

Bobby_Typhoon

Novice
I'm playing on the classic system and am still finding oddities and earning experience for them. Unless I failed to actually choose classic and am using oddity. Either way, no junk pile/rubble pile/barrel has gone unsearched.

Mac_Orion

Stygian Software
Developer
System.Exception: Failed to load locale 'LU-SouthGateStation - Lower Underrail: South Gate Station'. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryObjectWithMapTyped.Read(__BinaryParser input)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.ReadObjectWithMapTyped(BinaryHeaderEnum binaryHeaderEnum)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
at byw.DeserializeFromBinaryInternal[T](Stream stream, SerializationBinder binder, Int64 dataModelVersion)
at byw.DeserializeFromBinaryFileCompressed[T](String filePath, SerializationBinder binder, Boolean tryToRetrieveDataModelVersion)
at agb.a(String A_0)
at b4d.LogAndThrow[T](Exception innerException, LogSeverity severity, String message, Object[] messageArgs)
at avz.wj(af8 A_0)
at wv.c(af8 A_0)
at a4j.a(af8 A_0)
at a4j.b(af8 A_0)
at a4j.cw(af8 A_0)
at wv.e(af8 A_0)

does this happen all the time on this zone transition?

also there is a known issue with long hours of play, if it happens often and you played for long hours just restart your computer.
We will check tomorrow what exactly creates that bug, but 99% of the time a restart will fix it.

Mac_Orion

Stygian Software
Developer
Ok, so I bought it and it's downloading.

I have about 30 minutes to start playing, so, this got to be quick:

I haven't played it at all, I'm completely noob into this game, any non spoiler tips for the character creation? Basically, I want to experiment but I don't want to slam my head on a gimped character. Is there anything to look out or is this balanced?

Oh and another question: Is stealth mandatory in this game? I hate stealth in games.

No, stealth is not mandatory, neither is any of the skills (even a lot of players like to use lockpicking), just dont stretch your skill points on to many skills, everything else is possible.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
at agb.a(String A_0)
at avz.wj(af8 A_0)
at wv.c(af8 A_0)
at a4j.a(af8 A_0)
at a4j.b(af8 A_0)
at a4j.cw(af8 A_0)
at wv.e(af8 A_0)

does this happen all the time on this zone transition?

also there is a known issue with long hours of play, if it happens often and you played for long hours just restart your computer.
We will check tomorrow what exactly creates that bug, but 99% of the time a restart will fix it.

Happens all the time. Tried restarting but nothing so far :/

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So... 15 hours super short "review" from my part:

The good
- For an indie game from a small developer the amount of content is astounding.
- Seems completely bug-free so far.
- The battle system is really well done and although it could have a couple more thingies(like crouching for aim or some cover bonuses from tall items in front of the character) it is very enjoyable
- The amount of crafting possibilities is insane.
- The freedom on how you approach battles is exceptional and reminds a lot of Fallout1&2.
- The Oddity system is really good in pushing you forward to explore

The bad
- Visuals and sound are mediocre. I would have liked a bit more "impact" on the gun sounds specifically. The graphics are obviously nothing to boast about.
- The game lacks in character and story. For these 15 hours I feel I'm just going to places that people tell me to, I have not "connected" with anyone and don't really remember any NPC, because they are , to be honest, kind of bland.
- The amount of crafting possibilities is insane(and it drives me crazy because it's hard to keep up with).
- I seriously miss the opportunity to have more people adventuring with me.

Generally the game is good and applies well to my autism but I'm sorry, I do not see it as the "ultimate" incline. And I do not think it's fair for it to be compared with the Fallouts(1&2) since it's not on the same level in anything apart from combat where it surpasses them easily (although it would have been even better if the player controlled more characters).

Styg and the gang did a really good job and they deserve congratulations for it, but the Codex did over-hype the game for me and my expectations were probably a bit too high going in it.
That being said, I will keep on playing because it IS a good time - and it doesn't need a "legendary" status to be so. :)

Sundevil96

Educated
Tutorial:
  1. If you select to begin tutorial and after the initial dialog is complete, if you open either of the desks or file cabinet you immediately enter combat with Vencel. If you outrun him, and make into the storage room, the door closes behind you; you wait a few turns, combat ends and you are able to interact with the intercom as if nothing happened.
  2. When speaking to Vencel on the intercom if you select the dialog option, "Hey, Vencel, what weapons should I use against bots?" Please remove the comma after "Hey".
  3. Vencel's answer to the dialog option listed above, you should replace ain't with aren't.

In regards to number 1, once the tutorial is complete, Vencel after talking to you through the whole tutorial will then finish shooting and killing you when you exit.

hell bovine

Arcane

I think either one is fine, but feel different in terms of rewards. After trying both, I went with the classic system for my "if you can't freeze it, you can electrocute it" mage. It felt a bit too disappointing to slay some tough critters, only to gain nothing from it, because even the body parts they dropped were too high level to use in crafting. Her locker was starting to look like a deranged butcher's shop.

I'd probably choose oddity for a rogue-ish character though, because it seems to fit the "Indiana Jones" style of exploring the world better. (where you are more interested in exploring every part of a dungeon, but don't try to murder your way through to achieve that)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
cover bonuses

:popamole:

Visuals and sound are mediocre. I would have liked a bit more "impact" on the gun sounds specifically. The graphics are obviously nothing to boast about.

I mostly disagree. Gun sounds are debatable, but explosions really crack, the environmental audio is extremely well-done, the music is fantastic, and Underrail's graphics are eye candy for people who like a 2D isometric style (me, for example).

ST'Ranger

Augur
My first 15 hours on the first character I made probably didn't even get past Junkyard. Making a review at that point is like reviewing Planescape after walking out of the mausoleum. I really do think your opinion will change dramatically the more of the game you see.

Also, the story at the very beginning of the game is at its weakest. Without getting too much into spoilers, this is entirely intentional.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My first 15 hours on the first character I made probably didn't even get past Junkyard. Making a review at that point is like reviewing Planescape after walking out of the mausoleum. I really do think your opinion will change dramatically the more of the game you see.

Also, the story at the very beginning of the game is at its weakest. Without getting too much into spoilers, this is entirely intentional.
That's good news :)
And indeed I'm just into Junkyard. But I thought it was kind of a 60 hour game, so I guessed 1/4th of it is a good amount to judge the content

Elthosian

Arcane
Just cleared burrowers nest in vault with a well placed molotov+gas canister. While burrowers and their spawns melting and burning, I laughed at them behind my metal armor and energy shield.

Only got 2 oddity xp and not so phat loot though, phat loot indeed...

:negative:

I didn't even get any oddity xp at all :/ Although the battles were quite satisfactory regardless, killed them one by one making use of Pyrokinesis, Cryokinesis, Pyrokinetic Stream and the Thermodynamicity and Premonition feats, along with a few well placed bear traps, a molotov and some caltrops. Whenever two or more of them showed up at once I used Cryostasis + Fear to avoid getting clobbered.

Interesting thing is that cryokinesis and pyrokinesis count as silenced attacks so whenever I saw spawn alone I could kill them without worrying about bringing the whole cave upon myself, which was quite the relief since a single one of these fuckers could take out 70% of my char's HP if allowed to carry out a full round of attacks.

Spent all of my five psi boosters in the fight tho :negative:

Whiran

Magister

How much RAM do you have?

That looks like a system error and not a game error from running out of.. well.. memory.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

How much RAM do you have?

That looks like a system error and not a game error from running out of.. well.. memory.

Got 6GB of RAM :/

Whiran

Magister
Got 6GB of RAM :/
Allow me to rephrase, how much memory do you have available when playing?

Although it looks like underrail only uses around 400-500 meg of RAM.

Edited to update RAM use: it does go up as you load zones. So maybe it is running out of RAM. After a couple of screens the RAM usage popped up to 650 megs. I wouldn't be surprised if it went higher - I don't tend to pay that much attention.

Do you have enough harddrive space or video ram? I dunno, grasping at straws.

Lhynn

Arcane
my character is psikyn unarmed

my stats are

str 3
dex 10
agi 5
con 3
will 10
int 6

Been thinking i should have gone with agi 6 and then upgrade it to 7 for fancy footwork, leaving int at 5. what do you guys think?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom