Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I don't understand how cRPG's with decent story, writing and gameplay are considered niche and Diablo 3 gets 30 million copies sold. Mystery.

Hyperion

Arcane
Because Diablo III has Blizzard's polish, and marketing power. It is also part of a franchise loved by millions, including many of us here, and shaped our preferences more than we realize. I think you're vastly underestimating what Diablo 1 was to gaming in people ages 25+.

Also, true RPGs always have been and always will be a niche market. The truly great RPGs thrive on what the industry considers archaic mechanics. Things like reading, minimal tutorials, complex mechanics (even if only for complexity's sake), puzzles, and no handholding (just to name a few) are out of place in mainstream gaming. It's why places like the Codex exist.

Oh, and comparing Tyranny and Diablo III is apples to oranges. The similarities begin and end with an isometric camera angle.

Last edited:

Ezrite

Learned
I don't understand how cRPG's with decent story, writing and gameplay are considered niche and Diablo 3 gets 30 million copies sold. Mystery.

Cause it is braindead and action oriented and most poeple enjoy bashing the mouse 20000000 times rather than reading and looking at the world built up, in more ways than seeing if there is something to bash in the corner.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I just hope there won't be a lot fort invasions theme but more world building and fantasy oriented stuff.
Cause it is braindead and action oriented and most poeple enjoy bashing the mouse 20000000 times rather than reading and looking at the world built up, in more ways than seeing if there is something to bash in the corner.
So, 30 million people are decieved by mindless braindead mouse-bashing agenda? That's it. We tried, we failed. Thanks for all the fish.[/QUOTE]

Sizzle

Arcane

Sannom

Augur
Is there at least a single video of someone going to Apex instead of Crossing? This seems scripted
I had the exact opposite problem until this morning, so the answer is "yes". I think the two-part pcgamesn (that was them, right?) video goes there too.

And I want someone to go to Stalwart, I haven't seen it so far.

Sizzle

Arcane
I really hope there will be actual consequences to all of these choices - like NPCs outright refusing to join you if you were personally responsible for fucking up their homes and lives.

The worst thing will be if all it amounts to is just slightly different flavor text.

Ezrite

Learned
I just hope there won't be a lot fort invasions theme but more world building and fantasy oriented stuff.

So, 30 million people are decieved by mindless braindead mouse-bashing agenda? That's it. We tried, we failed. Thanks for all the fish.
[/QUOTE]

And millions play that horrible Kardashian game or Clash of Titans.

It is simple bashing. Sadly, people enjoy simple stuff, bashing stuff. I got Diablo III to and see why it is fun but damn, it is not worth 30 million sales.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Why Brian keeps telling us his team made an awesome job with the game? Is it hard to notice or what?

That's how they brainwash you - not too long from now you'll be speaking of "an amazing job Obsidian did with their last game" to your friends.

Nice video, btw, though I can't really tell how I feel about it. It looks like an interesting concept but also it seems to be a really private experience of gaming - forging your own dark path. These two chubby guys (with all due respect) are too distracting.

Can't wait to get my hands on the game to try it myself.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Someone at the Paradox Tyranny forum was asking if Kyros is female. I responded Kyros is evil incarnate, that makes the character female by default.

It took the mods five minutes to delete my post. Never change Sweden. :salute:

Gremius

Augur
Sometimes it's good to live in Potatoland.

SH7vuqq.jpg

1. Game
2. Soundtrack
3. 112 pages artbook
~28 EURO / 30,5 USD

Sannom

Augur
There are also physical edition in the UK.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom