Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Two Worlds 2 on GamersGate

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Gwendo said:
Yeah, i didn't like Risen, but that's a matter of taste.

That's exactly the point. I you didn't like Risen, which was pretty great by modern standards (also by codex consensus) - then your opinions about TW2 are completely irrelevant.

Gwendo

Augur
Crispy said:
Pray tell, what exactly was it about ArcaniA that struck you as being superior to Two Worlds 2's tutorial so far?

It's a more polished game. And even if it's all about boring and somewhat pathetic fetch-quests, with bland characters, TW2 manages to be even worse. That's why I'm wondering if the game was even finished or went through a beta test. It all feels so disjointed, the voice acting, the animations, the story...

At least ArcaniA was a "correct" game. It was flawed in many ways, but technicaly it was fine, just as the production values. It sucked badly in other key areas.

About Risen, as I've said, it's a matter of taste. And when I say I did have a bad first impression of TW2, it's not because of my taste. It's really flawed in many ways. Objectively speaking.

I'll play it some more, as sometimes certain games can "grow" on us, but I doubt it.

Mortmal

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
Gwendo said:
Yeah, i didn't like Risen, but that's a matter of taste.

That's exactly the point. I you didn't like Risen, which was pretty great by modern standards (also by codex consensus) - then your opinions about TW2 are completely irrelevant.
And sadly hes the only one giving an impression yet, anyway most will say its shit without even giving a single example of why, last time it was the same for new vegas ten pages of shit and whinng about unsignficant stuff, no argumented opinions at all.
Ii'll have to buy it and check myself tommorow.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Gwendo said:
Crispy said:
Pray tell, what exactly was it about ArcaniA that struck you as being superior to Two Worlds 2's tutorial so far?

It's a more polished game. And even if it's all about boring and somewhat pathetic fetch-quests, with bland characters, TW2 manages to be even worse. That's why I'm wondering if the game was even finished or went through a beta test. It all feels so disjointed, the voice acting, the animations, the story...

At least ArcaniA was a "correct" game. It was flawed in many ways, but technicaly it was fine, just as the production values. It sucked badly in other key areas.

About Risen, as I've said, it's a matter of taste. And when I say I did have a bad first impression of TW2, it's not because of my taste. It's really flawed in many ways. Objectively speaking.

I'll play it some more, as sometimes certain games can "grow" on us, but I doubt it.

I've been researching this for a while, because I'm about to pull-the-trigger for TW2 on GG (rather than my usual full trial from TPB) and everything I've read - from the couple of Euro reviews, to miltiple forum posts from people that are playing it - TW2 is a VAST improvement to the first game.

Considering, when all patched up, I actaully thought TW1 wasn't too bad for an open world ARPG, this all bodes well for TW2.

Your's is the only negative report I've come across so far - and now it's the only thing stopping me from picking it up - so you better be legit mofo
:x

Blackula

Educated
Silly Eurofags; no shit the game is in alpha. YOU are the beta testers

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm going with this guy's impressions instead, because I refuse to believe my nearly $100.00 to import the game could possibly go to waste:

So I just finished playing about 2 hours worth of TW2 PC version I picked up from Gamersgate today and all I can say is ...WOW! This game has exceeded just about every expectation I had. Here's a few important points that stood out for me:

1. Controls - I'm not much of a mouse and keyboard guy in my old age (pushing 40 lol) as being hunched over a keyboard for hours leaves me with an aching back, so I was blown away to discover you can use the Xbox 360 controller seamlessly with this game. In fact, when you plug it in the game immediately recognizes it and converts the entire interface over to console style to work with it! All on screen guides display Xbox button help and all tutorials switch to support game pad interface...freakin awesome! No more fumbling through menus to config the controller or using third party software with some bastardized keyboard hybrid config. This made my night!! Hats off to RP for this! The interface itself has a small learning curve, but after 30 minutes of game play it feels like second nature. Magic takes a little getting used to..not casting, but setting up your spells and combos..it's not hard..just pay attention to your guide books and on screen prompts and it becomes easy really quick. Combat feels fluid and natural, and it's easy to switch and hot key specials. 10/10 for controller ease here.

2. Graphics - Simply beautiful. I'm running the game on an Alienware netbook mx11 gaming system, plugged into my Samsung 60 inch DLP HDTV and all I can say is WOW again. I'm running with max'd graphics options and I have no slowdown..no stutter...and very very little tearing and the game world is stunning in details, color, and vibrance. Little things catch your eyes here and there, like exotic birds hiding in foliage, to a sea teaming with fish as you swim. Textures are excellent; not overdone to the point of lagging out the system, and not to simple as to make an ugly game world (IE Risen..which I loved anyway). Combat and spell effects are awesome and eye-popping at times, and the bullet time cinematic kills are terrific when they fire. The world feels alive and draws you in to the point you feel like you are a part of it..immersion achieved. I have yet to experience any graphics glitches (although I am not shortsighted enough to assume they won't happen either) and have been fairly shocked to see that my Mx11 is playing this game with no slowdown at all so far. I'm far enough into the Savannah to really test it well too. Armor and weapons look like the devs put some real work into their skins and textures. This game was obviously a labor of love and it shows...and it also shows they learned from their first game and they listened to the community as well. Graphics 9/10.

3. Story/Dialog(English Language version) - This game isn't going to win an academy award for voice acting BUT...my God they improved the voice acting compared to the first one. It's not only tolerable, it's actually not bad at all! The orcs are particularly well voiced, and the hero has a Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western quality to his dialect that works very well. The story can seem a little sparse at times, especially if you haven't played the first TW, which I'm sure would be very confusing to a newcomer. All I can say is stick with it, and read your quest log!! It's critical to completing some quests. The game strikes a fine balance between hand holding, and tossing you in the deep end to let you learn on your own. Once you exit the tutorial it opens up to a massive open world teeming with life and what appears to endless possibilities only hampered by the nagging feeling you should be working on those pesky quests piling up in your log. Some of the dialog options and arcs and nothing short of hilarious and had me laughing out loud when they occurred. Story/Dialog 8/10(probably higher than most would give it, but I'm a fan of soft spoken, smart ass protagonists)

4. Sound/Music - I've got my system plugged into my home theater 7.1 so I'm taking full advantage of surround sound and its been quite adequate so far. Most sound effects come across as being neither overdone, nor underdone, leaving them just about right. The soundtrack is moody and inspiring at times, although their are occasional awkward moments when the music will simply stop and recycle at an inappropriate time, but it's certainly not an immersion killer unless you are looking for it to happen. All in all it contributes to the atmosphere an immersion quite well for the most part. 7/10 here just for the quirky music issues..which aren't really a huge issue.

Without droning on forever, I just want to say..RP nailed it on this one. I'm usually very skeptical of EU RPGs..as I've been burnt in the past by a few really bad titles (Gothic 3-4 anyone) but I have to say, RP just re-established EU devs as a force to be dealt with in the future of gaming. This title is simply fun, absorbing, beautiful, and packed with open game play...everything a RPG fanatic could want. They have erased the disaster of the previous title with this one...you can tell they worked hard on it, and nailed down just about every aspect of the game play with a top notch title that will catch the eye of more than just the hardcore fan. This was money well spent at any price and my only real complaint is there isn't enough time in the day, or enough energy left in my body for me to keep playing it right now. Overall I would give the game a solid 8/10. It delivers...period.

http://board.zuxxez.com/showthread.php?t=35345

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS TW ONE WAS MISERABLE AND SHITTY IN MOST NORMAL PRODUCTION VALUES

HOWEVER IT HAD SOME C AND C ALBEIT VERY LIMITED AND IT HAD EXPLORATION WHERE IF YOU WENT TO AN AREA WITH HARD MONSTERS THEY FUCKED YOU UP AND THE LOOT SYSTEM WITH WEAPON COMBINING WASNT BAD

BROS ANYWAYS MOST OF THE NEGATIVE POINT MENTIONED HERE AND ELSEWHERE ABOUT THE FIRST ONE WERE NEWFAG SHIT OR STUFF THAT ISNT PERTINENT FOR A DIABLOESQUE ARPG IN THAT SENSE THE FIRST WAS SUCCESSFUL I WOULD TAKE THAT INTO CONSIDERATION WHEN READING THE REVIEWSD

made

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
I you didn't like Risen, which was pretty great by modern standards (also by codex consensus) - then your opinions about TW2 are completely irrelevant.
I thought the consensus was that Risen was decent in the first half and rather lame thereafter, making for an average game overall - certainly not a milestone of the genre by which all future aRPGs would be judged.

Still no torrent of the PC version btw? OMG PC gaming is dead!

Well so far it looks like reviewers and forum users around the globe agree that the game is good for what it is. Unfortunately no codex monocle has layed eyes upon the game yet, might be related to the fact that there is no torrent. Of course, consoletards(x360) already have their torrent ready up and running.

CrimHead

Scholar
Two Worlds is a good game. Not great, mind you, but good. I'm a loot/customization whore though, so try to understand where I'm coming from.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Gwendo said:
Crispy said:

So are you ever gonna tell us why TW2 is bad, or are you just gonna continue spouting bullshit?

adure

Liturgist
made-in-polska.gif

thx for your support!

p.s.
gwendo sounds like a gothic fanboi graphic whore

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
made said:
AlaCarcuss said:
I you didn't like Risen, which was pretty great by modern standards (also by codex consensus) - then your opinions about TW2 are completely irrelevant.
I thought the consensus was that Risen was decent in the first half and rather lame thereafter, making for an average game overall

Yeah, which makes it a great game by modern standards :smug:

Anyway, I decided to pull the trigger on GG and now I've just left the starter dungeon.

Have to say it's making a great first impression. Production values are high, voice acting is actually quite good (which is a massive incline over TW1, which were atrocious).

Someone asked about performance - well I'm running it @ 5760x1080 across three 23" screens in nVideo surround @ max settings and getting a solid 60-70 FPS. I have a resonably beefy rig, but I'll say it's running a lot smoother than Divinity 2 - DKS (for a recent comparison). Looks pretty fucking sweet too.

That's pretty much all I can say so far, but I can't wait to get back to it so that's a good sign. :incline:

I'll try to post some impressions later as I get further into it. Of course my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt - according to two senior and very highly respected codex members (skyway & 1eyedking), I'm a terrible judge of games ....

Gwendo

Augur
Hobo Elf said:
Gwendo said:
Crispy said:

So are you ever gonna tell us why TW2 is bad, or are you just gonna continue spouting bullshit?

I've already told why, what did you miss in my previous posts?

BTW, I should have said before, I've played the X360 version. But I doubt that there will be diferences compared to the PC version (besides higher resolution and some other graphic shit, but I didn't complain about the graphics, except the animations).

Do you want more examples of the gameplay (besides the one with the staff tutorial)?

Dele

Liturgist
Combat is similar to first one, just bash mouse button and sometimes use a special skill so nothing remarkable there.

Voice-acting is a bit better which means it isnt so bad its funny anymore, though there are some strange moments like people cursing in german for some reason.

I usually skip quest text in action-rpgs like this but some of the dialog was interesting enough to actually read.

Gameworld itself is pretty large, larger than the first one and after my 10 hours of playing i've explored a really small part of the world map.

The UI is horrible, especially when you start racking up lots of loot and want to break the items to components.

If you liked the first one you'll like this, the game looks good except ridiculous amounts of bloom at some points(also it runs really well on my 3 year old computer).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom