Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tunnels and Trolls

Lord Rocket

Erudite
1eyedking said:
Tunnels & Trolls...
Dungeons & Dragons...

God you morons are fucking pathetic. Yes, it sounds like Dungeons and Dragons. That's because it was the second PnP game ever, and in a lot of ways it was kind of a parody (the writer, Ken St. Andre, thought D&D was unnecessarily complicated and wrote the system as a reaction against it).
A variant of its system was used in Wasteland, so you fuckheads should already know this.

I never got to play the old computer game, though I wanted to.

The tabletop RPG is still in print and they just did a nifty new edition.

If anyone doesn't mind me whoring my blog, I did a review of it there:

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2008/09 ... first.html

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2008/09 ... rolls.html

It'll also be handy if anyone does an LP of the computer game as the rules aren't too different. (Basically the computer game is based off of 5th edition. 7.5 adds in a magic stat so mages dont need to have high STR to power spells, and they add in a couple new classes and the Spite System.)

Also I call a character in the LP if it gets done.
And NOBODY PLAY A HUMAN OTHERWISE ITLL BE A SHORT GAME.

Stats ARE T&T as opposed to a minor thing in D&D derived games.

If anything, those console RPGs most folks here hate? Their game system is heavily based off of T&T. Armor reduces damage, pretty much nobody ever misses, stats keep increasing with level, spell points, ect.

I have it here. Bought it when it came out. It is fairly good, and can still be bought today. Where did I see it?

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/software.htm

There we are. I knew I had seen it not long ago.

The main thing that put others off is the humourous side to it. It was very anti-hero in its jokes and puzzles, but the game itself was always a nice RPG.

obediah

Erudite
sah said:
Anthony Davis said:
When I was in the Army is 1989

surely you must have served with Cleve :salute:

Cleve was his own platoon, company, battalion, yadayada...

With his 74" biceps he was a walking - nay hulking rail gun. He would throw depleted uranium slugs the size of a ueberhuman head at 99/100ths the speed of light.

I'm sure you've heard about the billion man chinese army. Well, they were three billion when they pissed Cleve off.

Andhaira

Arcane
Well I have to say this was one game thats escaped me. Sounds very intruiging (albeit frustrating)

1eyedking

Erudite
Lord Rocket said:
God you morons are fucking pathetic. Yes, it sounds like Dungeons and Dragons. That's because it was the second PnP game ever, and in a lot of ways it was kind of a parody (the writer, Ken St. Andre, thought D&D was unnecessarily complicated and wrote the system as a reaction against it).
A variant of its system was used in Wasteland, so you fuckheads should already know this.
Chill.

Redeye

Arcane
T&T reminds me of the scene in Pulp Fiction where that kid's head gets blown off by accident as a black humor non-sequitor.

An FP version would be great, especially if the art was done in the style of Grimtooth's Traps. I mean the old black and white interior illustrations, not the cheesy color stuff.
Special detail to pain effects, facial expressions, screams, etc.
The sheer deadliness would make it the best mmorpg ever. Permadeath.
Missing limbs.
Scars.
Stuff from old psychedelic album covers.

I would change it, though.
Players would only know something like 1 or 2 pages worth of rules.
Everything else would be a mystery.

oh, and the Wasteland article for you forgetful heathens

Morkar Left

Just installed the game: Wow!
A written introduction over a dozen pages and lots of writing in just the first 5 minutes I tried the game. The gfx are shit (I think CGA, not even EGA) but the controls are very, very well done especially for such an old game. Will be my next rpg to play after I finished gothic 3. Thanks for bringing this gem up!

burrie

Scholar
obediah said:
sah said:
Anthony Davis said:

With his 74" biceps he was a walking - nay hulking rail gun. He would throw depleted uranium slugs the size of a ueberhuman head at 99/100ths the speed of light.

I'm sure you've heard about the billion man chinese army. Well, they were three billion when they pissed Cleve off.
When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Cleveland Blakemore.

Cleveland Blakemore doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Cleveland Blakemore has allowed to live.

Outer space exists because it's afraid to be on the same planet with Cleveland Blakemore.

Cleveland Blakemore does not sleep. He waits.

Cleveland Blakemore is currently suing NBC, claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

Cleveland Blakemore is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

Cleveland Blakemore counted to infinity - twice.

When Cleveland Blakemore does a pushup, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down.

Cleveland Blakemore is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head.

Cleveland Blakemore’ hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Cleveland Blakemore can lead a horse to water AND make it drink.

Cleveland Blakemore doesn’t wear a watch, HE decides what time it is.

Cleveland Blakemore can slam a revolving door.

Cleveland Blakemore does not get frostbite. Cleveland Blakemore bites frost

Contrary to popular belief, America is not a democracy, it is a Clevetatorship.

mondblut

Arcane
Morkar said:
The gfx are shit (I think CGA, not even EGA)

Not at all, its 16 colors and some custom semi-hi resolution like 640x200. Looks pretty weird for an unaccustomed eye with its double-height vertical pixels.

AmigaOS had the same resolution. In fact, even the font and the look of interface windows in T&T appear to be a direct AmigaOS ripoff. I wonder if the game was originally intended for this platform. There seems to be no Amiga release though according to Moby. There is a "PC" logo in the upper left corner of game's main screen, which kinda hints it was supposed a multiplatform title.

I remember there was an old 4x space strategy called Imperium from EA, for Amiga and DOS, it also had AmigaOS-like resolution, font and interface. I wonder if Amiga version of T&T would look better than it did on PC. Too bad we'll never know...

sheek

Arbiter
obediah said:
sah said:
Anthony Davis said:

Jealous much? :roll:

Morkar Left

mondblut said:
I wonder if Amiga version of T&T would look better than it did on PC. Too bad we'll never know...

Usually Amiga gfx were much better.

But I used the wrong exe for this game.Its better now. Ok it´s still lame, but the game has something appealing to me. Most old games need usually some time for me to get into them. This game got me hooked in right from the start.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom