Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tunnels and Trolls

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
When I was in the Army is 1989, there was a PC game I bought in Germany called Tunnels and Trolls (I think) that I seem to remember being VERY cool.

Granted, this could very well be "Last Star Fighter Syndrome", but I seem to remember it having a lot of cool aspects to it, including choices and consequences.

I seem to remember things like limb removal, devious traps, interesting characters, and philosophical discussions.

I remember one of my characters climbing to the top of a mountain and reaching through a portal, which was described as reaching into the stars. Something tried to pull him through, but when he pulled back his arm had turned into a diamond. This arm could then never be cut or removed, or something like that.

Another character lost his arm when he failed to disarm a trap and he was one armed for the remainder of the game.

I found a group of brigands surrounding a pit where they had captured an ogre or a troll that was a peaceful sheperd. You could either kill the brigands and save the ogre, or kill the ogre (I think). This tied into a recurring theme in the game on what it meant to be human. That theme was revisited again in a bar where these two patrons were arguing over what was more human, a troll that could speak and rationalize or an undead skeleton that was formerly human. I seem to recall this being a big theme, humanity and racism.

That was just a couple.

Now, has anyone else ever played this game? Am I wearing a pair of rose-colored glasses here, or was it actually pretty good?

I tried to find it on several abandonware sites but was not successful, but if I could find it again I think I would like to play it again.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Yeah that link seems ambiguous as towheter I am getting the CD with the game, the cover art, the map, or all 3.

That is definitely the game though.

Zomg

Arbiter
I remember Tunnels and Trolls being a P&P system.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Black_Willow

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:
Black_Willow said:

I've looked at that site before, but it requires registration AND uploading before you can download it. For some reason, that strikes me as sketchy. Thanks for the link though!

There is a PnP version of the game that the computer game was based on I think, but I never played it.
I don't really now why but I downloaded it without any fuss. PM me your mail and I'll send it to you.

Cynicus

Augur
Yeah that link seems ambiguous as towheter I am getting the CD with the game, the cover art, the map, or all 3

You get the game and scanned copies of the rulebook and map on a CD for $10. If you want a printed map, you have to order it separately. That's how the description reads to me, anyway.

Now, has anyone else ever played this game? Am I wearing a pair of rose-colored glasses here, or was it actually pretty good?

I tried to find it on several abandonware sites but was not successful, but if I could find it again I think I would like to play it again.
I found this somewhere for download (don't remember where), and I tried playing this a little while ago. The game seems pretty cool, but it has absolutely no qualms about outright killing party members. For some reason, it brought to mind those old Dragon's Lair/Space Ace games - one wrong move, and someone's dead. For instance, there are several exits from the sewers under the beginning town (one of the early dungeons). All of the ones I found required every party member to make one (or more) attribute checks, or be killed.

Another character lost his arm when he failed to disarm a trap and he was one armed for the remainder of the game.
Something similar happened to me, as well. One of my characters lost a hand to a trap. However, in the beginning town, there's a place that can attach a prosthetic hand - a Gremlin one. I have no idea if there's any later repercussions because of it. Its possible there are other places that can fix other, similar wounds.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Flux_Capacitor said:

I found this somewhere for download (don't remember where), and I tried playing this a little while ago. The game seems pretty cool, but it has absolutely no qualms about outright killing party members. For some reason, it brought to mind those old Dragon's Lair/Space Ace games - one wrong move, and someone's dead. For instance, there are several exits from the sewers under the beginning town (one of the early dungeons). All of the ones I found required every party member to make one (or more) attribute checks, or be killed.

Something similar happened to me, as well. One of my characters lost a hand to a trap. However, in the beginning town, there's a place that can attach a prosthetic hand - a Gremlin one. I have no idea if there's any later repercussions because of it. Its possible there are other places that can fix other, similar wounds.

Yeah, this all seems VERY familiar. If I remember correctly though, the game was just as quick to kill NPCs too.

I never knew about the prosthetic hand shoppe. Man, I miss this game.

If you don't mind putting up with all of that, and some wacky spell names (eg. Hidey-Hole and Take That You Fiend!), the game can actually be pretty decent, although I haven't gotten too far. The combat isn't bad, the writing is generally very good, and there's a lot of interesting, if somewhat bizarre and random, encounters.

I can upload a copy of the game somewhere, if you're interested in it.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I have it now thanks to Black Willow, and this is indeed the game.

I wish I still had my boxed copy. I remember the manual and box had a bunch of extra neat stuff with it.

I was shocked that the game had mouse support, I don't think I even had a mouse for my PC back then.

I won't be able to tonight, but I am totally going to be playing this soon. I might even attempt a Let's Play.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Lemunde said:
Who's talking shit about Last Star Fighter!?

Come on man...

I'm the guy who is getting 'Sharks in Venice' delivered from Netflix tomorrow and will probably BUY Mega Shark versus Giant Octopus tonight, so I know bad movies.

There is a difference between a bad movie playing up the camp and the cheese factor and a movie that you would have SWORN was a work of art and in the case of The Last Starfighter, something that COULD HAPPEN!!!@one!

Watching The Last Starfighter now is just painful. Painful because it is not as good as you *remembered* it being and...and...

BECAUSE I NEVER GOT PICKED TO GO FIGHT THE KODAN ARMADA!!! *sob* *sob*

My dreams...my precious dreams...

mondblut

Arcane
It was a wonderful game. Other than less than stellar combat (basically, whoever gets initiative wins) and idiotic spell names, it was really fun.

Likely the first RPG ever to have a paperdoll inventory. A waist-high portrait where armor, helmet and hands content are shown. Also, it had horsies, ships, like a dozen of languages to learn - lots of shit to do. And probably the longest introductory sequence ever.

Those countless uberviolent events made the game a saveloadfest though. I remember spending like half an hour reloading on an islet with a dragon, where you had to pass like a dozen of checks for each party member just to escape alive - and you never knew what's coming at you until you hit that particular cell on the map.

Savescumming at magic chests to arm everyone with a death wand (one strike, one kill) rendered all other weapons irrelevant though, and made combat too easy. That is, unless enemies have higher speed, then they kill you anyway in first round.

I remember some grinding-friendly spot early in the game (about the second town) where you could trigger a horde after horde of rats to level up relatively easily... except that the rats scaled up too, and about level 7 suddenly started tearing the party to shreds. Then I found a spot at the entrance (one of several, methinks) to some orcish mine in the mountains, where you could step south (2) at impassable mountain, trigger some event like "you notice guards at the entrance", choose (2) for "no, do not enter" and get xp for that... in other words, just hold "2" down and watch your levels climb :) Those were the days.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
mondblut said:
It was a wonderful game. Other than less than stellar combat (basically, whoever gets initiative wins) and idiotic spell names, it was really fun.

Likely the first RPG ever to have a paperdoll inventory. A waist-high portrait where armor, helmet and hands content are shown. Also, it had horsies, ships, like a dozen of languages to learn - lots of shit to do. And probably the longest introductory sequence ever.

Those countless uberviolent events made the game a saveloadfest though. I remember spending like half an hour reloading on an islet with a dragon, where you had to pass like a dozen of checks for each party member just to escape alive - and you never knew what's coming at you until you hit that particular cell on the map.

Savescumming at magic chests to arm everyone with a death wand (one strike, one kill) rendered all other weapons irrelevant though, and made combat too easy. That is, unless enemies have higher speed, then they kill you anyway in first round.

I remember some grinding-friendly spot early in the game (about the second town) where you could trigger a horde after horde of rats to level up relatively easily... except that the rats scaled up too, and about level 7 suddenly started tearing the party to shreds. Then I found a spot at the entrance (one of several, methinks) to some orcish mine in the mountains, where you could step south (2) at impassable mountain, trigger some event like "you notice guards at the entrance", choose (2) for "no, do not enter" and get xp for that... in other words, just hold "2" down and watch your levels climb :) Those were the days.

hahaha, yeah this is really waking up the old neurons. I remember a part about a unicorn..either being chased or they player's party had to chase it? I don't remember.

What else do you remember about the game?

Any party creation tips? I kind of remember there being something that happened with either specific races...maybe when you drew your fortune cards? Not sure.

Oh, the fortune card drawing part was like a direct rip-off of the 2nd Edition DnD 'Deck of Many Things'...or vice versa. I think party members were individually allowed to draw 3 cards...everything which would in turn could cause everything from money loss, money gain, stat loss, stat gain, gender change, or straight up death.

mondblut said:
Yeah, I found some of those pretty early, too. In the first town sewers, you can encounter a wraith (a minor demon), where you're given several options. Try to run (chance for someone to die), try to fight it (most likely, everyone dies), or play its game. Basically, you have to guess the outcome of a die roll (50% chance), and get it right two out of three times. If you fail, you die. If you succeed, you get exp and gems. From what I've seen, that encounter seems to pretty much sum up the game.

Any party creation tips? I kind of remember there being something that happened with either specific races...maybe when you drew your fortune cards? Not sure.
I just went with a Dwarf Warrior, a Human Warrior, a Hobb Rogue, and an Elf Wizard. Seems like the 'right' party.

mondblut

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:

Not sure how exactly did it work at fortune cards, but it allowed to switch two stats. Meaning, take something which grows a lot, like health or strength, and switch with speed which only goes up 1 point per level. Once you do that (lots of reloading, of course), your character always acts first and coupled with death wand, is unstoppable.

Another exploit was wasn't touching the recruitable NPCs until you are higher level. Their equipment was scaling along with their levels (unless they were already recruited once), and in the end you could go on a recruiting-and-firing spree, grabbing dozens of expensive plate mails to sell.

Come to think of it, the game was all about exploits. Serves them right for those nasty events :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom