Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
Most Wizardy fans denigrate the M&M series (especially 3-4-5) as "Popamole"
Newsflash: popamole encounters are designed that way, for trash mobs your party can easily beat, the designers made it so your characters can trounce them in a second so as to not drag the gameplay down. In fights vs difficult encounters you need to take each turn carefully, have every caster carefully chooses his spells, have your thief uses his stash of wands and potions you've accumulated, etc.

Contrats this to Wizardry 6-7-8, where every single trivial fight vs some stupid bats, rat men, beach crabs, or small plant, takes a fucking year.

Lemming42

Arcane
Wizardry wins because of Wiz8. It's just that good, and Wiz7 is not far behind. Wiz6 does admittedly get extremely boring thanks to the graphics; in addition to everything being a stone corridor, it just looks fucking shit in general. It's not even an attractive stone corridor, and the UI looks awful too.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
they are popamole regardless of how wizardry plays, in M&M 4 the hardest enemy is the dragon king, which you defeat by planning a route to get all fountain buffs and then teleport to him and kill him

xeen himself ofc is a joke

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm probably not gonna make any friends with this post, but here goes...

1) The Might & Magic series as a whole trounces the Wizardry series. Every Might and Magic release since the first one is superior to its closest Wizardry contemporary, with the sole excepion of MM9 vs Wizardry 8.
Even what most people consider the 2 best entries, Wizardry 6 and 7, don't hold a candle to MM2, MM3 and World of Xeen.
Wizardry 6's sole tile set is gray stones, even you go into a "forest". They had time to draw pixellated boobs, so they had time to draw a decent 2nd tile set. MM1 came out in 1986 and had 6-7 different tile sets! And I'm not even mentioning MM2 which came out in 1989, also before Wiz6.
Wizardry 7 makes you fight (or talk to) annoying rat men for the entirety of the game. I swear for a super long game, most encounters are either rat men, orcs, or those blonde chicks on hover bikes.

This will be frowned upon by the bicycle connoisseurs.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Newsflash: popamole encounters are designed that way, for trash mobs your party can easily beat, the designers made it so your characters can trounce them in a second so as to not drag the gameplay down. In fights vs difficult encounters you need to take each turn carefully, have every caster carefully chooses his spells, have your thief uses his stash of wands and potions you've accumulated, etc.

Contrats this to Wizardry 6-7-8, where every single trivial fight vs some stupid bats, rat men, beach crabs, or small plant, takes a fucking year.
This is only true of Wizardry 8 (the bad one). 6 and 7 fights are mostly pretty quick.

Namutree

Savant
Diablo 1 is actually good, but it never got a real sequel.

Fallout 2 is shit.

Pillars of Eternity is good.

There, and I mean every statement.

Solo was peak Star Wars and Erenreich nailed the character wow 10/10
It was a decent heist movie, the actors did well. The shitty parts that dragged it were the cringe Fembot and the Marvelized ending with the literally who space-Somalis. I assume they were tied to some other garbage because the film assumes the audience knows them. Probably the best of the Disney films due to Ron Howard's directing, but nowhere near peak Star Wars imo.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Solo was peak Star Wars and Erenreich nailed the character wow 10/10
It was a decent heist movie, the actors did well. The shitty parts that dragged it were the cringe Fembot and the Marvelized ending with the literally who space-Somalis. I assume they were tied to some other garbage because the film assumes the audience knows them. Probably the best of the Disney films due to Ron Howard's directing, but nowhere near peak Star Wars imo.
How dare you, Phoebe Waller-Bridge was the cornerstone of the movie and her character "13-37" the droid was inspired. The way she became the Millennium Falcon was peak Star Wars

HumanMech

Literate
Baldur's Gate 3 target audience is the RPG Codex audience

RPG Codex is a highly prestigious gaming magazine

Lhynn

Arcane
Colon shit fanboys have less awareness and critical thinking capabilities than your average bethesda fan.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I pirated all my games in my teens, my English was rudimentary, didn't have manuals, still managed to figure out how to play all of them.

All the "tutorial" a game needs is an options menu that shows you the controls (and lets you customize them) so you know which button does what.
Anything else is superfluous.
Games that don't require tutorials are by definition simplistic games for children.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I pirated all my games in my teens, my English was rudimentary, didn't have manuals, still managed to figure out how to play all of them.

All the "tutorial" a game needs is an options menu that shows you the controls (and lets you customize them) so you know which button does what.
Anything else is superfluous.
Games that don't require tutorials are by definition simplistic games for children.
Even the most complex games can be learned by doing. All you need is tooltips that tell you what the interface elements do... or just make the interface symbols easy to read.

I managed to learn Master of Orion 2, Civilization 4, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate 2, Gothic 2, Morrowind without having a manual for any of them. I just checked the options menu for controls and learned by doing. I didn't even know how THAC0 worked and that lower AC is better, still managed to figure out how to play BG2.

Later, when I knew how AD&D worked, I played Pool of Radiance... without a manual! Even that old game tells you enough in its interface to use it without one.

Gregz

Arcane
Administrated-Love.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom