Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

A user named cat

This isn't a translation but there isn't a rom hack thread and some of you may find this very interesting, I'm gonna try it later today. Know how damn slow the ATB gauge is in Final Fantasy IX? Always hated that. Looks like someone finally addressed this nuissance with a simple hack that you apply like any PPF translation patch. Hell yeah.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1799/

Final Fantasy IX was a great game. One of the best in the FF-series in my opinion but it has it flaws. One of them being the ATB gauge moving to slow. If you agree, then this patch is for you.

What this hack does is to make the battle ATB gauge move faster. If you choose the battle speed to be at the middle (default) speed, the gauge moves at a speed like FFVII and FFVIII. If you choose the fastest speed it will not be insanely fast, but fast enough. You try it out to see what suits you best.

This game has been tested with the NTSC US version. Use PPF-O-MATIC to patch the game.

EDIT: Can't get the hack to work. Just tried on five different rips and the same thing happens for all of them once patched in both ePSXe and Mednafen. Screen goes black soon as you're asked to change Zidane's name at the beginning. That sucks.

I think it's because I can't find an exact matching copy the hack requires. None of the crc32's match on any rips I'm finding online. Dammit, wish I hadn't sold it years back.

Last edited by a moderator:

spekkio

Arcane
You can check CRCs of images:
http://redump.org/discs/quicksearch/final-fantasy/

Judging by the hack's site on romhacking, it's created for 1.0 US release (SLUS-01251 - SLUS 01297).
I own this release, CD1's CRC is 49521342 (which matches with the info here: http://redump.org/disc/73/), .bin format, used PPF-o-matic 3.0 to patch the image.
Game works fine for me (sorry about the screens, Peopsoft internal shots), epsxe 1.9.0:

zLzNCn4.jpg

s05KCgN.jpg

6jdpgC7.jpg

:codexisfor:

Don't ask me to try if the ATB works faster than in vanilla...

*Edit
What did you need 5 different rips for? Just check the CRCs and find the correct rip.

:smug:

*2nd Edit

Oh. :(

Last edited:

A user named cat

Yeah I installed HashTab so I've been checking the crc's on all the rips, but then just trying to patch them anyway. The crc in the read me shows: 9154AF35

I actually have the same version as you except all my PS1 rips are in 'ccd/img/sub' format. The img file has the same crc as yours but the bug still happens after I patch it. Not sure why. Guess I'll try to hunt down a redump of the game then in bin/cue.

spekkio

Arcane
What's important is the binary file, .img or .bin extensions don't matter. If your CD1 image has CRC=49521342 then it's the proper rip (matches redump info), plus it's the same file as mine, which works. Try different patcher maybe?

*Edit

Subchannel emulation can be responsible too. If your images are in CloneCD format (img+ccd+sub), make sure you use "Run ISO", not CD emulation via Daemon tools or sth. Or just rename your image to .bin / delete the .ccd & .sub files.

Last edited:

A user named cat

What's important is the binary file, .img or .bin extensions don't matter. If your CD1 image has CRC=49521342 then it's the proper rip (matches redump info), plus it's the same file as mine, which works. Try different patcher maybe?

*Edit

Subchannel emulation can be responsible too. If your images are in CloneCD format (img+ccd+sub), make sure you use "Run ISO", not CD emulation via Daemon tools or sth. Or just rename your image to .bin / delete the .ccd & .sub files.
You found the problem, it does work when I use 'run iso'. I always ran my games through a CD launch via Daemon Tools though, it's also what my frontend (Hyperspin) does as well since it's the proper way when it comes to reading multitrack cue files. Never had a problem before, even played through most of a patched/translated Policenauts that way.

I tried with bin and cue, same bug happens. Only works with run iso. Ah well. The patch certainly does speed up the ATB gauge but this game has slow combat animations too, so it doesn't really change much. It's at least not as bad as Wiz 8 when it comes to incredibly long battles.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember my biggest annoyance with FF9's battles was the loading of them -- the swirling of the screen, then the loading of the characters, and then a couple seconds of the camera moving around. Combined with, as you said, the combat animations, I can't imagine a faster ATB gauge really making a dent in the tedium that eventually builds after a few hours of playing.

A user named cat

Yeah just about everything takes longer in it. Chrono Cross was overly sluggish in that manner too with its panning camera before every battle. They both came out around the same time so it's no coincidence, don't know what the hell they were thinking by making shit slower.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, both of them were released during the last days of the PS1 (Hell, I think FF9 was actually released the same year as the PS2), so they probably pushed the PS1 to its limits. For Chrono Cross, though, enemies at least showed up on the map, allowing you to possibly to avoid them (then again, the maps tended to be narrow and corridor-ish, so avoiding them wasn't always possible).

A user named cat

CC might as well have had random battles, many of them were near impossible to avoid for reasons you stated. Could be pretty annoying.

Anyway, to get back on topic: just saw a new translation came out today for Record of Lodoss War on SNES. I only played the Dreamcast version which was essentially a Diablo clone, wasn't bad though if a bit mindless. Wonder how this one is, looks to have more traditional mechanics.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2155/

Seems to have a basic but tactical grid-based combat system, interesting. I don't know anything about the source material, so no idea if it's any good or just typical anime stuff. Still could be worth checking out.

7Z3DDUf.jpg

B2DDI6a.jpg

CWHYitQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerKnee

Arcane
I don't know anything about the source material, so no idea if it's any good or just typical anime stuff.
The source material was, historically speaking, literally Japan's equivalent of D&D. In fact, RoLW was based off a D&D campaign, ran into some legal shit because TSR were huge assholes back then, which lead to the invention of the JP P&P RPG called "Sword World", which is basically Japan making a D&D Retroclone decades before it became the in-thing. I'm pretty sure it's still being played today in said country.

Don't know anything about the videogame though, doop dee doo.

deuxhero

Arcane
s. For Chrono Cross, though, enemies at least showed up on the map, allowing you to possibly to avoid them (then again, the maps tended to be narrow and corridor-ish, so avoiding them wasn't always possible).

And people say CC isn't a faithful sequel.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
CC might as well have had random battles, many of them were near impossible to avoid for reasons you stated. Could be pretty annoying.

Anyway, to get back on topic: just saw a new translation came out today for Record of Lodoss War on SNES. I only played the Dreamcast version which was essentially a Diablo clone, wasn't bad though if a bit mindless. Wonder how this one is, looks to have more traditional mechanics.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2155/

Seems to have a basic but tactical grid-based combat system, interesting. I don't know anything about the source material, so no idea if it's any good or just typical anime stuff. Still could be worth checking out.

7Z3DDUf.jpg

B2DDI6a.jpg

CWHYitQ.jpg
quite fun. Also some of the picaresque parts of D&D made the jump... apparently, from the plot, the first scenario main character is true neutral (that is, evil as fuck :M), the second lawful evil (or at least lawful neutral) and the third lawful good.

Also funny enough i'm starting the 4th scenario now and the pattern is that the protagonist gets less and and overpowered. In the fourth it starts at level 1 :M

Last edited:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Crowdsourcing SRW Alpha

Okay, so, it´s no secret that Super Robot Wars Alpha has a staggeringly huge amount of text. While it only took speed-demon Tyria a year to translate, the text is frankly really messy and wasn´t really suitable for prime-time. As many of you will recall, I started hunting around for an editor shortly thereafter, and settled on Antialias, who I recruited on 4chan´s /m/ board. In the last several years he´s managed to edit about a third of the story dialog text (if we consider duplicate strings to be distinct, anyway) but work has been slow in large part because the script is so dauntingly large.

Some time ago, we decided that it would be a good idea to get multiple workers on the script, but had no real way to manage that. Well, yesterday Antialias set up a Perforce repository on Assembla, and we´re ready to put together a small team. Antialias himself will be handling the vetting process, in large part to to minimize style conflicts. Style conflict is one of the big reasons I didn´t want multiple editors in the first place, but given the size of things, better a little awkwardness in this matter than no translation at all.

So, if you´re interested in editing, send an email to the AEUG Recruiter and it´ll get forwarded to Antialias who´ll send you a test file and, if you pass, will get you set up with the repository and tools.

Sorry it´s taking so long!

Figured something had to be up with it. Really glad they're trying to fix the problem rather than just putting it on the backburner for another five years.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Crowdsourcing SRW Alpha

Okay, so, it´s no secret that Super Robot Wars Alpha has a staggeringly huge amount of text. While it only took speed-demon Tyria a year to translate, the text is frankly really messy and wasn´t really suitable for prime-time. As many of you will recall, I started hunting around for an editor shortly thereafter, and settled on Antialias, who I recruited on 4chan´s /m/ board. In the last several years he´s managed to edit about a third of the story dialog text (if we consider duplicate strings to be distinct, anyway) but work has been slow in large part because the script is so dauntingly large.

Some time ago, we decided that it would be a good idea to get multiple workers on the script, but had no real way to manage that. Well, yesterday Antialias set up a Perforce repository on Assembla, and we´re ready to put together a small team. Antialias himself will be handling the vetting process, in large part to to minimize style conflicts. Style conflict is one of the big reasons I didn´t want multiple editors in the first place, but given the size of things, better a little awkwardness in this matter than no translation at all.

So, if you´re interested in editing, send an email to the AEUG Recruiter and it´ll get forwarded to Antialias who´ll send you a test file and, if you pass, will get you set up with the repository and tools.

Sorry it´s taking so long!

Figured something had to be up with it. Really glad they're trying to fix the problem rather than just putting it on the backburner for another five years.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Fucking finally.

Gedeone

Novice
A "new" VN got a translation: I/O -ディレクターズカット-

http://lemniscatranslations.wordpress.com/io/

Um..."written and directed by the same person who created the Infinity series"...really? So the plot should be decent (maybe)

Meh...lets hope its good, i didnt really like most of the Infinity games (except Ever17, probably because i was still green VN-wise)...

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
DAUM ! Which game is that ?

Why it hasn't been translated ?!

:outrage:

So, it appears this is Tokyo Twilight Busters. A 1995 horror adventure RPG for the PC98. It got a shitty port in the DS in 2010. Neither of them have been translated. The PC98 version looks amazing.

This shit needs to be translated.

Where is Helly ?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Great! It looks pretty decent. Well decent for a FF game anyway. Reminiscent of Crisis Core, not too bad.

I'll be sure to pick this up. Legally, of course. Heh heh, yeah.

spekkio

Arcane
BROS, guess what?

S3b9Jkb.jpg

cMY7Ria.jpg

Looks like the "base" DLCs has been translated:

se3AtI5.jpg

Game looks like this:

GeUzOhE.jpg

7PW71dX.jpg

But not everything is done:

zbs8Wki.jpg

But!

gdMOZMI.jpg

58tu5hb.jpg

:thumbsup:

Additional DLCs (NPJH50343) load fine, too bad that they aren't translated yet:

eV9g9n2.jpg

fLHz4vw.jpg

Had to grab the translated iso separately, since the patch doesn't work on my rig.

spekkio

Arcane
^
:butthurt:

TB shit didn't sell on PS3, got redirected to PSP. Next stop: mobile devices VN. Welcome to the next-gen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom