Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

deuxhero

Arcane
1) Extract the japanese kana

Wait, the game is Kanji free? I know there are some games that are, but all the ones I know of are for young children (Pokemon for example)

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
1) Extract the japanese kana

Wait, the game is Kanji free? I know there are some games that are, but all the ones I know of are for young children (Pokemon for example)
No kanjis in PC98 games, only kana :M
Nevermind, PC98 games HAVE kanjis...
This one doesn't anyway :D

Interesting.
I suppose it's because the game's universe is a madmax-like occidental one and, as such, japanese kanjis have no raison d'être.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
It's because there are a million kanji and they all take memory that games on ancient floppy disks didn't have.

deuxhero

Arcane
There are "only" something like 1950 common ones.

I'd think you could just have the Kanji on the OS, though RAM and font size limits likely would play a part.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You'd be amazed at what is considered legible though. A while ago I was considering trying to play japenese version of monster hunter or god eater. A look at the size of kanji on those stat screens scared me off pretty quick.

Example:
pix_091213_god_03.jpg

Keep in mind this is for a handheld. That resolution is pretty much the full deal. The shit next to buttons near the bottom is especially bad.

Felix

Arcane
That's still relatively easy to read and you haven't seen some kanji cluster-fucks pass for design around here, some even the Japanese don't bother because "mendokusai" lol.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Okay guyz, a quick update:
-Combat related stuff: done
-Monsters: done
-Items: done
-Menu: done
-"Story": to do !
So, everything gameplay related has been translated and put into the game. All that's left is to translate the not-so-numerous blobs of text! Which shouldn't be too long to do, really!
:yeah:
The main problem with that translation is the lack of space: This here game is a typical example of the ingenuity of olde, as they did all they could to limit the memory use.
In a lot of games, the game's script is in special files which you can relatively easily modify. Here, the whole script is in the .exe... I tried tinkering with it (to add translation space), to no avail.
In a lot of games, the kana & kanji used take 2 bytes, so you can put two latin characters for each japanese one. It's usually enough to allow for an accurate translation. Here, they used 1 bytes kanas... Which means half the space to work with.
This all means you have to fight for every single sentence so that they're not too long, even by a single byte. That sucks, that sucks so hard.
:rage:

Anyway, you don't want to hear me ranting, so here are some screenies !

sanstitrejre.jpg

The Beast City !

sanstitre1se.jpg

Stats !

sanstitre3dv.jpg

Fights against ITZ! :mhd:

And more to come soon !

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
You're the best ever, man.

Do you need some help localizing or editing it? I can help out in reducing word space but maintaining meaning if you want.

gatdam you rule

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Thanks for the support guys, it's my pleasure !

deuxhero : Dunno yet, I'll probably release two versions.
First only the patched files with instructions (use anexdiet to update the .fdi's files) for "advanced" users.
Then a lazy newbie pack with the latest version of Anex86, Neko Project II, the patched Screamer.fdi and a proper readme.

cboyardee : Thanks, but right now I'm still finishing my first translation of everything. I'll need a lot of help testing & checking it once it's in the game though, my english still being quite subpar. I'd love the help then :oops:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is there a way to scale up the graphics to make these scanlines disappear?
I believe those are not scanlines, but rather a "trick" to make the actual horizontal scanlines blend better with the images, and since Helly is playing without scanlines, the trick backfires and stands out.

Cool name

Arcane
In a lot of games, the kana & kanji used take 2 bytes, so you can put two latin characters for each japanese one. It's usually enough to allow for an accurate translation. Here, they used 1 bytes kanas... Which means half the space to work with.
This all means you have to fight for every single sentence so that they're not too long, even by a single byte. That sucks, that sucks so hard.

You can always release a PDF with all the proper translations and change the in-game text to 'read page xx.' :P

deuxhero

Arcane
I'd prefer a format less bloated and pointless, but the idea is an interesting one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom