Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Toughest Battle in an rpg!

Luzur

Good Sir
i would say when Daggerfall bugged out and began spawning high level enemies in dungeons while i was like level 6-7.

meeting 1-2 Ancient Liches just around the corner from the dungeon entrance was a surprised since i was supposed to find a run-away mage.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Jim Cojones said:
deuxhero said:
Hedrack/Iuz in Temple of Elemental Evil was pretty good when trying to kill both Iuz and Cuthbert avatars.
Fixed.

How do you kill them? Walkthru plz.

In my games it only happened once that the conversation Iuz-Cuthbert didn't start (Bug?) so i could kill the Iuz guy but only the Sorc and the Scather-wielding Cleric survided, because i needed a round or two to figure out that Iuz doesn't counter Improved Invis, one might think he has True Seeing - but he doesn't. I tried it again but it never happened again.

So how do u do it?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Monkeyfinger said:
Hardest period: Megadragon in Might & Magic 5. Only boss in RPG history where I figured "fuck it, you're not meant to be able to beat him", gave up, then later looked him up online and discovered that he can be beaten (and gives 100 million XP). Durable as hell, his attack hits the whole party and while the damage is mediocre it has a chance to eradicate characters (like chunking from BG basically, only megadragon's attack and some traps can inflict it directly), and unlike most bosses he doesn't have any weak dick-around moves. He just spams the eradicating breath over and over.
Yeah, although it might be an expensive waste to try to kill the creature in the first place, since 100 million XP is so much XP that you won't even have the money to level up that high, making most of the effort of killing him pointless.

And by the time you might be strong enough to kill the thing, there is little point to do so anyway, since it would probably so late in the game that everything would already be finished.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tarnesh? lolwut you can't seriously say the toughest battle in an rpg was with someone who would cease to be a threat after being hit once or twice with an arrow. It's just a matter of disrupting his spells.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Elwro said:
Tarnesh? lolwut you can't seriously say the toughest battle in an rpg was with someone who would cease to be a threat after being hit once or twice with an arrow. It's just a matter of disrupting his spells.

His spells all have a casting speed of 1 (0.6s), good luck disrupting that.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Jim Cojones said:
deuxhero said:
Hedrack/Iuz in Temple of Elemental Evil was pretty good when trying to kill both Iuz and Cuthbert avatars.
Fixed.

In my games it only happened once that the conversation Iuz-Cuthbert didn't start (Bug?) so i could kill the Iuz guy but only the Sorc and the Scather-wielding Cleric survided, because i needed a round or two to figure out that Iuz doesn't counter Improved Invis, one might think he has True Seeing - but he doesn't. I tried it again but it never happened again.

So how do u do it?
I don't remember exactly how it happened, but I had a chance to attack Cutbert right after he appeared. Off course fighting both gods mean I got pwned countless times and the only time I "succeded" was when Cuthbert didn't do anything due to some bug which wasn't really satisfactory. I don't think it is possible to kill them in any fair way.

Andhaira

Arcane
The bosses in the creature arena in Final Fantasy X were also mega hard...though they don't really count as they are a bonus option and not required to really beat the game.

Sentinel

The final battle in Throne of Baal. That was the only time when I gave up and used cheats.

S.

AndhairaX said:
The bosses in the creature arena in Final Fantasy X were also mega hard...though they don't really count as they are a bonus option and not required to really beat the game.

Well, if you take JRPG's in to consideration, there's Grandia 2 for Dreamcast. I don't think I have cursed any other boss so much as Valmar's Eye. I don't know if it's actually easy, but back then it took many, many tries. One moment all your party members are at full health and you're waiting to get commands, the next moment half of them are dead and the rest somehow incapacitated.

Kron

Arcane
I had a kind of limp ventrue character in Vampire Bloodlines on my first playthrough, and that battle against the azn alien-morphed chick boss was just ridiculously impossible. Same with LaCroix's bodyguard.

The Wizard

Educated
AndhairaX said:
Which one was it for you? Mine was, surprisingly,a battle in icewind dale 2. I found it hard because my party members kept dying, though I could win it I wanted my party members to survive.
this must stop. stop it, criminal scum. you are a horrible person and you should feel very bad about yourself. your threads are kiling me. is that what you want? huh? me lying in a pool of my own blood crying like a baby for my mother while pissing my pants? because that is going to happen if you don'Z stop it. and if you finally see it happen, will you remember? will you remember how it looked when your damn stupid threads violated my butthole with the fury of thousands of norse gods? well, i hope it will haunt your dreams every night until.you.DIE.. :cry:

Erebus

Arcane
I remember many über-tough fights in M&M games but they could usually be avoided. One example is in M&M7, when you need to steal something from one of the guys who arrived with the spaceship (I don't think I ever figured who they were supposed to be ; maybe the heroes from M&M3). The simple way is to use Invisibility and steal it without being noticed. Fighting him is extremely challenging (I don't think I ever managed to defeat him). He has tons of HP, a very short cooldown between two attacks and, if I remember correctly, a random chance of eradicating the opponents he hit (similar to the Megadragon's power).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Kangaxx the litch in BG2 was also a tough sonovabitch. (I may had been playing it with tactics though)

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The Wizard said:
AndhairaX said:
Which one was it for you? Mine was, surprisingly,a battle in icewind dale 2. I found it hard because my party members kept dying, though I could win it I wanted my party members to survive.
this must stop. stop it, criminal scum. you are a horrible person and you should feel very bad about yourself. your threads are kiling me. is that what you want? huh? me lying in a pool of my own blood crying like a baby for my mother while pissing my pants? because that is going to happen if you don'Z stop it. and if you finally see it happen, will you remember? will you remember how it looked when your damn stupid threads violated my butthole with the fury of thousands of norse gods? well, i hope it will haunt your dreams every night until.you.DIE.. :cry:

Chill the fuck out, this is a good and interesting thread. Andhaira isn't half as inane anymore as he used to be (and he has quite some knowledge about old games).

As for hard battles, I'm stuck in a level in Redemption, where there are a ton of these flying wizard vampires. I must've messed up in point distribution while leveling up, there's just absolutely no way I can beat them.

Lim-Lim

Liturgist
ghostdog said:
Kangaxx the litch in BG2 was also a tough sonovabitch. (I may had been playing it with tactics though)

This was hard for me too, until I realized that rage makes you immune to imprison.
The throne of bhaal final was also a real bitch, but the hardest so far has been in the Vampire: the masquerade redemption. The whole game was basically a piece of cake, but I couldn't beat the final boss without resorting to a game-glitch.

Luzur

Good Sir
Erebus said:
I remember many über-tough fights in M&M games but they could usually be avoided. One example is in M&M7, when you need to steal something from one of the guys who arrived with the spaceship (I don't think I ever figured who they were supposed to be ; maybe the heroes from M&M3). The simple way is to use Invisibility and steal it without being noticed. Fighting him is extremely challenging (I don't think I ever managed to defeat him). He has tons of HP, a very short cooldown between two attacks and, if I remember correctly, a random chance of eradicating the opponents he hit (similar to the Megadragon's power).

yep, they are your former party from M&M3. but i dont remember any thieving quest in M&M7..?

Erebus

Arcane
Luzur said:
yep, they are your former party from M&M3. but i dont remember any thieving quest in M&M7..?

These guys have divided into two groups and you will eventually find yourself working for one of them (which one depends on whether you chose the good path or the evil path). In order to gain access to the spaceship, your bosses will send you to take something (I don't remember what) from one of their former colleagues.

asper said:
The Wizard said:
AndhairaX said:

Chill the fuck out, this is a good and interesting thread. Andhaira isn't half as inane anymore as he used to be (and he has quite some knowledge about old games).

As for hard battles, I'm stuck in a level in Redemption, where there are a ton of these flying wizard vampires. I must've messed up in point distribution while leveling up, there's just absolutely no way I can beat them.

Yeah, his tag should really be changed to 'Not as inane as I used to be'

deuxhero

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Jim Cojones said:
deuxhero said:
Fixed.

So how do u do it?

Iuz can be damaged via Holy or Frost enchanted weapons (Scater is good here, as it is the first) cold spells, summoned demons (from the power gems) and magic missile and a bit of luck to roll high. You might also hope he rolls a 1 on a clerics slay living spell, but I am not sure if they implemented the "gods don't fail saves on a 1" bit.

Cuthbert I don't know, but you can keep him on the battlefield by killing Iuz on a cirten turn. (I think it is the 3rd)

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
JRPGs - yeah, the critters in the monster arena in FFX were goddamn RETARDO murderous. I killed maybe three of the easier ones, and then the boss of the Omega Ruins, then decided to beat the game. The end battle went as follows:

Sin: GWAAAAAAAAAARGH I AM SIN DESTROYER OF ALL KINDS OF SHIT
me: ::flicks Sin with a finger::
Sin: ::dies instantly::

So yeah. Got a little further in the Sphere Grid than I'd thought.

There was one boss - not even a major one, just a midlevel scrub boss - in Persona 3 that was insanely, cheaply, stupidly hard. I was certain there was some sort of technique or trick I was missing, and eventually gave up and looked online... And walkthroughs all said "Nope, there's nothing you can do. You just have to beat on the fucker until he dies." The battle wasn't even interesting - just 30 minutes of smack-smack-heal-smack-rez-smack-smack-DIE ALREADY-smack-heal-smack-etc. Other bosses were way better - I have no idea what the hell was up with that unbalanced motherfucker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom