Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Toughest Battle in an rpg!

dan32

Novice
The hardest battles i have fought in rpg`s are usually ones i dont have to do but i want to try them out,or im doing it the hard way cus i dont know a better way to do it.

M&M7 in the pit,trying to clear the area without using turn based or invisibility,one dragon breath or a few metal spells and thats everyone but your tank dead,then its just run or die.

Wiz8 i cant remember what the creatures are called but its the place where the king is and you have to rescue the spys,i missed somthing out and had to fight my way through the hole camp,at low lvl i ran out of SP and they just kept pounding me with AoE spells

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Final fight in EoB 2 was hard for me - but at the time my knoweldge of AD&D rules was very limited.

The ambush by 5 mages in Betrayal at Krondor usually requires a few reloads, iirc it is more random than difficult.

Wizardry 7 - random figths at the beginning with level 1 party, especially with difficulty on hard - i never tried it but even on easy without a bard in your party you can easily get killed. Much easier with a bard and unlimited sleep spell.

Erebus

Arcane
FeelTheRads said:
The Ascension Melisan fight was pretty memorable to say the least, yes.
Fuck if I remember it. When, where and what was that? I'm serious.

Ending of ToB. You got to fight the five (improved !) Hand of Bhaal bosses you'd killed before at the same time (only four if you convinced Balthazar instead of Bodhi to join you). I never managed to win this battle. The one time I was doing reasonably well, it crashed my computer.

Improved Demogorgon was also a bitch.

Erebus said:
FeelTheRads said:
The Ascension Melisan fight was pretty memorable to say the least, yes.
Fuck if I remember it. When, where and what was that? I'm serious.

Ending of ToB. You got to fight the five (improved !) Hand of Bhaal bosses you'd killed before at the same time (only four if you convinced Balthazar instead of Bodhi to join you). I never managed to win this battle. The one time I was doing reasonably well, it crashed my computer.

Improved Demogorgon was also a bitch.

Funny how some of the things Gaider thought were important back then aren't at all apparent in the games that came after. Specifically, his reason for building the Improved Demogorgon mods in his own time after making the game: he thought that hardcore players were let down by the fact that Demogorgon's PnP abilities had to be scaled down so much so that the average player could have a chance, and so he thought it important to give the more experienced players the opportunity to fight Demogorgon at something like his PnP power.

Also the amount of work that went into the Ascension mod must have been hefty. To do that on his own time shows a passion that, regardless of what you think about BG2, doesn't seem so apparent in cranking out the same Bioware plot ad infinitum since then. Come to think of it BG2 was the Bioware game (excluding the NWN modules here) that strayed furthest from the 'ancient EPIC evil' path of BG1/NWN/KoToR/ME - in fact it kind of turned it on it's head by making the story 'ancient epic evil gets car-jacked by random pissed off elf' (yes Volourn, Jade Empire deviated from that as well...)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
WIZ8:
The random encounters with mages in arnika road were a bitch. I had an underdeveloped party and they summoned elementals and bombarded me with fireballs.Oh and I didn't find Nessie that hard compared to some of later battles in Bayjin and the sea caves.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
ghostdog said:
Oh and I didn't find Nessie that hard compared to some of later battles in Bayjin and the sea caves.

Yeah, Nessie was cakewalk when compared to meeting a mob of 5-6 depth dwellers... all about 400 hp, AoE damage, helluva resistances and near-impenetrable armour.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
MaskedMan said:
Being gang-banged by three liches in a locked room in Arx Fatalis.

Killed my playthrough. :cry:

Another homage to ultima underworld.

jaylittle

Scholar
Well it would've been PoD, but since I finally beat that on Monday (see the Gold Box thread for screenshots), I'm going to go with Draconis on ToB. I tried dozens of times and never came close.

Frankly ToB was pretty much insane all around. It got to the point where if I wasn't starting a major battle with a couple tme stops, then I was probably going to lose. Still Time Stop is a pretty kick ass spell :)

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Serus said:
Wizardry 7 - random figths at the beginning with level 1 party, especially with difficulty on hard - i never tried it but even on easy without a bard in your party you can easily get killed. Much easier with a bard and unlimited sleep spell.
What's incredible is that people have beat the game without a Bard at all.

On level 1, your hitpoints are so low, you can get killed instantly, and without a Bard, you have to hope for the random chance that you won't get hit in the first place. So it will be down to alot of reloading, and you may end up with easier fights substituted for you, which will just mean that you'll get less XP.

Really, there is no reason why one shouldn't go for Bard.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I didn't have a bard... pussies.

Oh, and I also started out in the Umpani area because of my choice in Wizardry 6 - were the encounters were even harder. But it was worth it- you get guns and Firearms skill from the start, fine equipment, and are then all the more prepared for the City.

qliveur

Educated
Chalk up another vote for the utter madness that is ToB.

Don't even get me started on Ascension. Hell, vanilla ToB kicked my ass on my first playthrough. Melissan was impossible until I learned to start spamming the Wish spell.

IWD2 excepted, ToB made every other CRPG that I played afterward seem like a walk in the park in comparison. I think that it spoiled CRPG combat for me forever, because if it isn't as challenging as ToB, then it's boring.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Funny thing, I don't remember ToB to be so goddamn hard, but then, I played it only once and like 6 years ago, but still, I clearly remember I had no problems with, for example, Draconis.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I clearly remember I had no problems with,

Same here. There were combats in BG2 which I remember as though, but not in ToB.
Maybe the ones who thought it was difficult played it with Gaider's mods?

Luan

Educated
BG2 Tactic's Mod Irenicus Final. Three stages with each requiring unique strategies. I don't want to spoil it if you haven't tried it but I will say the writing and setup for it is very nice indeed. It's completely unlike vanilla BG2. I spent roughly 20 hours straight banging my head against the wall on this battle, and was finally victorious by 6am.

Also, just about any boss fight in the Improved Anvil mod for BG2/TOB. Battles do honestly feel impossibly hard in this mod, but once you are ultimately victorious, there is no greater elation and euphoria... as far as video games are concerned...

Seriously, Ascension is a cakewalk compared to the aforementioned.

*Tactics actually wasn't very difficult, I only found Irenicus and the commie duergars a challenge

Erebus

Arcane
Aside from Draconis, I don't remember any super-hard fights in basic ToB either. Not to say that some bosses/areas weren't difficult but they were a far cry from what's found in Ascension.

jaylittle

Scholar
Nevermind all that ToB stuff I posted earlier, I think the hardest RPG battle had to be the end sequence for Oblivion.

/me ducks and runs away very fast

Phelot

Arcane
Ardanis said:
BG1, the first bounty hunter wizard who ambushes PC on the FAI's stairs. He would cast Mirror Image so that I couldn't hit him, then Horror so that I would run around like a headless chicken, then Magic Missile so that I would die. That was my first D&D game.

LOL I actually always have trouble with this as well. It always depended on whether Imoen gets a shot in immediately and interrupts the spell. Then, usually the faggot guards would end up getting the final blow and taking my xp. :x

deuxhero

Arcane
Barring ones that just have an insane amount of HP and require upwards of 40 mins to grind though?

Hedrack/Iuz in Temple of Elemental Evil was pretty good when shooting for the "beat Iuz" ending.

Xi

Arcane
Bodhi, BG2. There's a LOT of difficult fights in BG2 now that I think of it, but Bodhi was definitely a challenging one. I guess the difficulty of the bosses will be determined by the selection of your party, your main character, and their gear at the time you fight them. All things never being equal in BG2, so it's nice that challenge is pretty common.

Another testament to the 2e D&D rule set's superiority over 3.5e. :D

Andhaira

Arcane
That BG1 bountyhunter fight is stupid in some ways though. Why does that mage attack in the fucking open where the guards can see? Also, the fight is always easy for me since I have xzar and montaron with me. (and you would be dumb not to take them. You can always dump them later)

Thrasher

Erudite
Xi said:
I guess the difficulty of the bosses will be determined by the selection of your party, your main character, and their gear at the time you fight them.

Going into the dragons caves "caves smelling of sulphur" in Phantasy 3. Fighting small dragons and then.... BAM, two dragon kings come along and kill you all...

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
the most challenging fight in an RPG?

I remember the first time i played BG2 TOB with Tactics/Ascension. There were the most difficiult fights in any CRPG i played, yes the final battle bhaalspawn soundtrack still causes me to shiver...

Sweet memories...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom