Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
With one exception - the Severed Child quest and it's text quest. Carefully read and studied every bit of it, unusually complex + you see character from quest before + c&c.
Years of greasing the Codex have paid off. :D

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I feel like the writers tried too hard to make each NPC a unique snowflake, which results in every single person you talk to, even a lowly child, be nothing more than a lore / info dump. It's pretty tiresome as most of them don't have anything interesting to say in the first place, and I found myself simply clicking through the dialogue rather than reading it. Honestly, if this is what I can expect from the "game" experience being most of the time, there's simply no reason to continue playing.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's impossible to tell if these Year:2017 kiddos that stick around GRPD these days are being honest or just very clearly cautious in saying anything too good about this game. Reading lots of "decent", "average fun", "ok" in this thread. Is it just a meh game or is it a great game that you're afraid the kkkonsensus will turn against you further down the road and the Kodex thought police will knock on your door?

tldr it's shit but you might like it if you have bad taste

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Uh.. Guys... There is no way to change the difficulty of the game? I did not find the difficulty option anywhere.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This game is a cargo cult PS:T.

Fight me.
Why fight the truth? It's quite obvious now they never intended to make a true PS:T successor. Yet they were too cowardly to admit it, drop all false semblance and proudly do their own thing instead. The end result is a thin veil of surface appearances with almost no substance underneath. I would be more willing to forgive their Torment namedropping if they actually made a great game, no matter how different from the original.

Is it just a meh game
Yes, it is.

I have to say that they did a stellar job on loading times, how come Pillars 1 and Tyranny both suffer from this but not TTON?
One thing is for certain, Pillars is no more the game I'm playing every time I open my laptop and steam account.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wait, what? PST is very much an adventure game wherein you're piecing environmental and character-specific knowledge together, some of which are controlled by RPG-derived statistics, to advance a story. PST has, broadly, a more non-linear approach to how this information is collected, assembled and employed to advance the story as compared to TToN.

I agree with MRY on this one. Adventure games are completely linear. You have to do things in a certain order,

Bullshit. Take the King's Quest games, just as an example.

MRY said:
The basic units of interaction in those games are (1) inventory item on environmental hotspot and (2) inventory item on other inventory item to combine them. They do feature some dialogue, but the dialogue is not the principal form of gameplay, and the trees are very sparse compared to RPGs'. They almost never feature "branching" dialogue or choice and consequence. They almost never feature configurable character builds or skill checks or stat pools. They almost never feature party members, leveling up, or isometric views.

You're being unusually Codexian in how you take things too literally.
Why is taking an object out of your inventory and pointing it at the background an "environmental interaction", but clicking first on the the hotspot and then using an object out of your inventory is not? I can give it to you if it's because one requires you to have figured out you need to do that and the other doesn't since the game just lays out the option for you. But I think it's the amount of this stuff that you do in PST as compared to the usual RPG stuff that makes it an adventure too. It doesn't really matter that adventure games don't have leveling up or isometric views (wtf?).
Also:

maxresdefault.jpg

:slamdunk:

Last edited:
Another thing I remember playing last night :
in PS:T , BG2,BG1 and even Divinity : OS we have the annoying sounds in markets shouting from everyone. Thank to Changing God don't have that here.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
in PS:T , BG2,BG1 and even Divinity : OS we have the annoying sounds in markets shouting from everyone. Thank to Changing God don't have that here.
Actually the ambient crowd sounds did much to create the illusion of a big city.

An hour in and the game feels like a chaotic jumble of wacky shit. Environments mostly look like Sanitarium, except the latter was at least supposed to be the protagonist's nightmares, and there are memorydumps and characterdumps everywhere of weird kinds, and more made up names than you can throw a stick at. That's not necessarily a minus for me, since a PST successor should have a little bit of schizophrenia in its world, but we'll see how the pacing pans out over the longer term.

Faffed about testing mechanics in the first real fight and I'm glad you can 'fail' to progress.

This, comparing TTON with Sanitarium is what keeps me going, and I did compared Pillars graphics to Sanitarium as well.
Love them!
BTW I do think that the game could have been much improved in terms of graphics if the Russian brothers were in. The ones from Stasis and now Wasteland 3.

Actually the ambient crowd sounds did much to create the illusion of a big city.
No it didn't. Arcanum does not have that and Tarant really fells like a city. It was just random shouting repeatedly and annoyingly.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No it didn't. Arcanum does not have that and Tarant really fells like a city. It was just random shouting repeatedly and annoyingly.
Yes they did, for me. Tarant actually was a big city, it was one big area, and its music was playing continuously as opposed to Athkatla. There was hardly ever a completely silent moment. Also, I think Tarant would have only benefited from ambient city sounds.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure Arcanum had ambient sounds... I'll just fire it up and check.

Yes they did, for me. Tarant actually was a big city, it was one big area, and its music was playing continuously as opposed to Athkatla. There was hardly ever a completely silent moment. Also, I think Tarant would have only benefited from ambient city sounds.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure Arcanum had ambient sounds... I'll just fire it up and check.
it didn't have shouting people I can tell you that.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
$5,000,000 over a 4 year development cycle.

That's $1.25 million per year.

That's 25 people earning $40,000 per year to work full time plus $250,000 per year for expenses and contract workers.

Is that what this game feels like?

alkeides 2.0

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What a shitty combat system + encounter design when the Sorrow shows up at the castoff sanctuary. Just so fucking slow.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played only until after the first Crisis yesterday, about 1.5 hours or something.
The game is good. It's the world and the descriptions that really shine.

The dialogues are so-so so far and the Crisis system seems interesting...but a tad bit too simple? I also feel like I will never fail a check with all these points available but it's too soon.

P. excited to get back to it after work in any case which is a good sign for me

AwesomeButton

Patron

it didn't have shouting people I can tell you that.
Tarant has people's voices, birds, for ambient sounds, but unless the music stops or you turn it down, you can't hear them very well. It also has ambient sounds coming naturally from NPCs' footsteps and doors opening and closing. I know the shouts you mean in Athkatla but I always thought those were fitting the atmosphere and they never bugged me. The ambient shouts in Trademeet do seem a little off, as that is a much smaller town.

I don't defend the shouts because I like shouts :) Only as a means to create the illusion the place is much bigger than it is. And shouts were a smart way to convey this, imo. You hear a shout and you instinctively know it's coming from far away. Far away, so this place is big.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom