Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What now unbelievers? Bow down before the greatness.

When things start to go down the shitter, you have to try everything.

"Look what IGN gave us, people! Buy this shit!"

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's very hard to be anything other than blue and gold.

Silver and red are the easiest imo. But gold is the most obvious one if you are following an specific alignment route and not just trusting your insticts.

Indigo is a fucking mystery, I'm a justice whore and still I have little to none tide of this colour.

Not really, blue is the most consistent in its qualities, but it's inconsistent in its implementation. Gold is awarded for not being a douchebag basically. It's also handed out like candy. Silver and red are hard to read, because the tone and intention of your choice is not clear, it's also not clear which one you are going to get. Indigo is "fuck you".

Lacrymas

Arcane
There's a heap of problems with the tides in general. The first one being that the UI is somehow objectively judging your actions, regardless of your own intentions. The second is that it not only assumes intentions, but it judges those intentions, which is basically thought police. The third one is that it doesn't take into consideration the context of the setting and it judges based on the writer's "morality", rather than the character's in relation to the setting.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I myself just wonder how we didn't work more Alabama football and Russian submarine jokes in regarding the red tide, but so it goes.

bataille - "Maybe the poster of PST above your computer reminded you to restrain yourself and have some semblance of good taste. You should have made a lot of references to Virgia Woolf's The Waves or some Homer's passages about the sea or something high-brow like that. That would have given you the strongest weapon of all: a valid reason to deflect criticism by the way of accusing the critics of idiocy."

Silver Tide raised a Tiny amount.
Red Tide raised a Tiny amount.
Anyone who has a video game poster unironically above their computer is unlikely to restrain himself in the name of good taste. :D

Would the "wine-dark sea" have red, indigo, or blue tides?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
z4F98Ss.png

We all know that 7.3 user score (and 83% from "shills") on MC is actually a 2/10wouldnotwastemytimeon .

I really have no idea about these journos claiming it is as good as the old one, not to mention the ones mentioning it's even better. And I am by no means one of those who think that PST was the best RPG ever created.

IMHO, the game is quite alright, and it comes off, overall, as much better (in terms of enjoyability, engagement, and playability) than PoE or Tranny, despite being, essentially a visual novel with some random game mechanics attached to it (too many of them, in fact, and none of them seems to be too influential: it feels like the devs came up with all these idea during some brainstorming phase, the Crisis, the Meres, the Tides, and did not feel like actually pursuing one more than the others, so they just threw them all in together...).

For reference, here is the complete list of all PC games that scored at lease 9.0 user review on Metacritic. PST is #6, DX #7, BG2 #8. Of course one must filter out the kiddie-influenced bullshit, like TW3 on #4 place, or ESO at #13 (megalol at this one). Still, the list gives a pretty decent overview on which game actually got appreciated the most.

pTfAXvV.png

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can't judge anything without context or without being in relation to something. Numenera fails as both an RPG in relation to other RPGs and in relation to PS:T. Everything would be either 10/10 or 0/10 if judged on its own, which is an impossibility.

hexer

What a mess..
The first portrait ended up in a YT video for Nano class and the second one in the game.

tOvsxgi.png

5diA2g0.png

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
What was PoE2's reception on Fig like? I didn't follow it at all.
It reached the 4+ million mark, which was better than I expected. On paper, the promised improvements seemed good/borderline incline. If you read the codex thread, however, you still will see the split between optimism and "not falling for this shit again."

It certainly did better than Wasteland 3 in my opinion.

Deadfire did better than POE1, both in terms of reaching the target faster (23 hours for Deadfire; 27 hours for POE1) and for reaching a higher total amount at the end overall, and this on the FIG platform which additionally means they won't have to cough up some of that money to kickstarter for their commission. So yes, any way you look at it the Deadfire campaign was a smashing success, even though it didn't hit all of the stretch goals... but the slacker backer deal is still going and it might hit 5 million - hopefully.

The way I look at it, the reasons to be optimistic for Deadfire are these:

1) Larger budget, meaning more can be done, and more bells and whistles.

2) They're now familiar with the Unity engine and have their own additions already built so they won't need to do things from scratch like they did the first time. Also, they can use a much more up to date version of the unity engine which can do things better.

3) They have a lot of feedback from POE1 so they know better what to do and what not to do. They've learned from a lot of mistakes, and won't repeat them this time. They did a lot of patching and rebalancing of POE1 but there were things they couldn't change, but now with this fresh start, they can.

4) Fresh setting that won't feel as generic high fantasyish as the Dyrwood. It will be like a vacation in a tropical paradise where you can take a break and do a little relaxing fishing or sailing around when things get too stressful. Kinda like the Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, or Pirates of the Caribbean... Pillars of the Caribbean?

5) Josh Sawyer's executive power on this project has been greatly expanded from the first game. There will be less obstructionism to hamper Josh from doing what needs to be done to make the franchise great.

Reasons to be pessimistic for Deadfire are only one:

1) The writing talents of legends like Chris Avellone and George Ziets are absent, and I expect this will adversely impact the writing quality of the game, and characters such as Durance and Grieving Mother will be absent as a result.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Could it be they complain about reading crap?

Certainly not with with such an amazing team of writers that keep hitting you over the head with descriptions such as "strange", "mysterious" and "unnamable".

DeepOcean

Arcane

Logic of shills make me laugh:
Thesis: NumaNuma made me bored with its mediocre content and disgusted by its shovelware nature.
Antithesis: You didn't like it because it wasn't as good as Planescape Torment.
Sinthesis: Because shovelware isn't on the same quality of Planescape Torment, so I must like it.

bataille

Arcane
I myself just wonder how we didn't work more Alabama football and Russian submarine jokes in regarding the red tide, but so it goes.

bataille - "Maybe the poster of PST above your computer reminded you to restrain yourself and have some semblance of good taste. You should have made a lot of references to Virgia Woolf's The Waves or some Homer's passages about the sea or something high-brow like that. That would have given you the strongest weapon of all: a valid reason to deflect criticism by the way of accusing the critics of idiocy."

Silver Tide raised a Tiny amount.
Red Tide raised a Tiny amount.
Anyone who has a video game poster unironically above their computer is unlikely to restrain himself in the name of good taste. :D

Well, I mean, it would be cool to have something resembling intertext in your game (the one that isn't conversing with PST).
You won't be bragging about a don quixote character fighting a cloud in your game, but if there were something more intricate and complex, like the few examples from the top of my head above, that'd be a good start. I'm sure the wordsmiths of that mighty inxile bunch could come up with something interesting. In due time.
Also, I was disappointed that you guys didn't seem to use synesthesia at all. I thought it was a pretty obvious yet beautiful and somewhat elegant idea to colour the text that accompanies the tidal shifts. Not literally "colour", but have some thematic tastes, feelings, sounds, tints to go with the corresponding tides.
(I'm just thinking out-loud, nevermind me, heh)

2185677FFA7434ED84C9AE46C6779E559AA0170E

Incline for Age of Decadence.

You can tell the Council that you created him, also you can wait very long for the Council to have time for you and the hole party gets demoralized

Last edited:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Actually, in real life, the "wine-dark sea" (that's the Mediterranean, for those around here that might not know), has tides of a very moderate amplitude, almost irrelevant in many places. :M

#thereisnotide

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
2185677FFA7434ED84C9AE46C6779E559AA0170E

Incline for Age of Decadence.

You can tell the Council that you created him, also you can wait very long for the Council to have time for you and the hole party gets demoralized
Finally someone notices the Clerk. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom