Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I don't want to read 60+ pages, what's Codex judgment? Game is good, average, bad or Bioware?

Here ya go

Some people wanted consensus. Thanks to a "Totally fair (and random) Number Generator"™ several posts from this magnificent thread were chosen to express general opinion about the game.
numenera_rating.jpg

And for those, who own a digital copy of the game but want to have boxed one, look no further! Print this box art and put it on the shelf!
Easy! Simple! Without much EFFORT! Don't forget to cut some content it and fold into a box!!!
art.jpg

Last edited:

Stokowski

Arcane
The Planescape: Torment trinity was: Chris Avellone, David Maldonado, and Colin McComb. You can also add Monte Cook in there, since he helped create the Planescape setting.

Wasn't it David Cook who created Planescape?

Yes, but Monte Cook contributed a lot to its development afterwards.

Monte Cook and Colin McComb took over the Planescape supplement line after David Cook had left TSR.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The first step towards fixing the problem, is acknowledging its existence.
Sadly, I don't see them doing it.

They're stuck in the 90s when press reviews had more influence over gamers purchasing decisions.
Today, players reviews are the king.
I don't give a damn about some bribed journalist's one page 9/10 review.
I honestly don't even frequent games sites anymore. I haven't in years. And I'm someone that actually takes an interest. The vast majority of gamers will take their cues from other gamers. This is part of what upsets the journalists jews so much, that they're losing control over the narratives, and it's part of why the SJW:s are floundering for new platforms, only that they have no experience with or hard capabilities to occupy or control platforms that are essentially non-existent. It just keeps flowing around them, rather than through them, and it's deeply upsetting their perceived status quo. It's why they're targeting developers and individuals now, instead of trying to filter what reaches the audience.

But that's supremely inelegant and increasingly obvious, leading people to recognize what's going on, with predictable backlash.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The Planescape: Torment trinity was: Chris Avellone, David Maldonado, and Colin McComb. You can also add Monte Cook in there, since he helped create the Planescape setting.

Wasn't it David Cook who created Planescape?

Yes, but Monte Cook contributed a lot to its development afterwards.

Monte Cook and Colin McComb took over the Planescape supplement line after David Cook had left TSR.
Probably the exact point it became shit.

Habbonovio

Educated
Any point in killing the sorrow's fragments at Infection instead of freezing them using the tidal waves?

Cause the last solution is infinitely easier than the first one, but the first one seems "permanent", and combat in this game is a pain in the arse, so I'm skipping as much as I can.

Also, I hope we all agree that Inifere is Best Aniki.

P.S., Which tide(s) you are embracing?

I'm
tumblr_nhcl38lHwm1qfp48vo6_500.gif
also blue.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any point at killing the sorrow's fragments at Infection instead of freezing them using the tidal waves?

Cause the last solution is infinitely easier than the first one, but the first one seems "permanent", and combat in this game is a pain in the arse, so I'm skipping as much as I can.

Also, I hope we all agree that Inifere is Best Aniki.

P.S., Which tide(s) you are embracing?

I'm
tumblr_nhcl38lHwm1qfp48vo6_500.gif
also blue.
Tides seem to be fluff to me. The amount of different colors kep rising but it doesn't mean anything to me.

I froze those fuckers. I do everything to avoid combat as much as possible, not unlike the game it is trying to emulate. It's just that it is even worse here.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man, it must be a pain.

"Our game sold less at launch than Planescape Torment that was released on an age of shitty internet, no digital distribution and jury rigged engines made of spit and adhesive. This game managed to get a mixed score on fucking Steam, a place where if fucking Hitler was released in there, he would get a slightly positive user score at least. This is total failure!"

Then write:

"We are greatly proud of the reviews our game is getting, they are so wonderful and show the massive success the game had, we are so happy with the receptions!"

Man, this PR thing can kill your soul.:lol:

But honestly, I'm furious about all this shit but I'm more sad and disappointed than wanting Fargo burn at an stake (it isn't that anyone better than him will show up any time soon), if Inxile were made of men with big balls and not nu-male oversensitive useless idiots, they should try to salvage this game with a MotB style expansion for free to anyone that bought this game.

If they did a properly scoped expansion with quality content (like that Endless Horror quest and the Necropolis area, so they must know how to do this shit, they did at least once afterall) that didn't try to be Planescape torment without having the ability to do it, a nice Numenera story with well made content and a good story of their own. They would change this from total train wreck to just a disappointing but an enjoyable RPG. Hey, this worked for Obsdian with NWN 2.

Maybe they would recover a part of their reputation and not burn the bridges. However, if they just keep on their corrupt press safe space and decide to let it pass, soon Fargo will start noticing a huge dip on his kickstarter revenues. Just compare the reception that PoE 2 got on Fig with the awful Wasteland 3 fig campaign and this was before Torment, imagine now.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
What was PoE2's reception on Fig like? I didn't follow it at all.
It reached the 4+ million mark, which was better than I expected. On paper, the promised improvements seemed good/borderline incline. If you read the codex thread, however, you still will see the split between optimism and "not falling for this shit again."

It certainly did better than Wasteland 3 in my opinion.

Last edited:

Habbonovio

Educated
It's very hard to be anything other than blue and gold.

Silver and red are the easiest imo. But gold is the most obvious one if you are following an specific alignment route and not just trusting your insticts.

Indigo is a fucking mystery, I'm a justice whore and still I have little to none tide of this colour.

Tides seem to be fluff to me. The amount of different colors kep rising but it doesn't mean anything to me.

I froze those fuckers. I do everything to avoid combat as much as possible, not unlike the game it is trying to emulate. It's just that it is even worse here.

Tides are poorly implemented and have 0 relevance until the endgame (apparently).

bataille

Arcane
Erm. Apparently, you get awarded gold tide points for murdering half a dozen of business- men and women (slavery is legal in this city) and then taking your time to dismember their leader in the middle of their compound (five meters away from the sensitive sculptor guy). The situation becomes even more spicy if you consider how the slaver woman felt towards Rhin, and you get the castoff killing Rhin's guardian of sorts to take the privilege of being the guardian herself.
The future is a mysterious mistress.

Tides_Of_Numenera_2017_03_09_15_43_32_45.jpg

Tides_Of_Numenera_2017_03_09_15_43_55_94.jpg

Tides_Of_Numenera_2017_03_09_15_44_09_47.jpg

Tides_Of_Numenera_2017_03_09_15_44_13_02.jpg

Also, the red tide is super underrepresented. The only considerable red act so far (until the point of leaving Sagus Cliffs) was jumping off of a mile high cliff for the thrill of the fall itself; other than that it was just telling people to get lost or punching someone in the face. I really hoped to be silver-red, but I seem to get obscene amounts of the former and barely any of the latter...

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I myself just wonder how we didn't work more Alabama football and Russian submarine jokes in regarding the red tide, but so it goes.

Habbonovio

Educated
Erm. Apparently, you get awarded gold tide points for murdering half a dozen of business- men and women (slavery is legal in this city) and then taking your time to dismember their leader in the middle of their compound (five meters away from the sensitive sculptor guy). The situation becomes even more spicy if you consider how the slaver woman felt towards Rhin, and you get the castoff killing Rhin's guardian of sorts to take the privilege of being the guardian herself.
The future is a mysterious mistress.

Tides-table.jpg

These five Tides form the basis of how your actions will be perceived in Torment: Tides of Numenera. It should be noted that none of these concepts are as simple as "good" or "evil". A Silver-aligned player may use their fame to help someone. A Gold-aligned player might help someone purely for their own benefit.

The Tides are linked to action, not intention. For example, someone could be falsely compassionate, but it will still be in the sphere of the Gold Tide. While the Tides are linked to all, a very few (like the Changing God) are aware of their existence, and even fewer know how to control them.

P.S. I love the synergy between your name (Bataille) and your title (literate).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Whereas you and your kind of brainless game loving retards were sucking all over the cock of such timeless master pieces as Dungeon Siege while shitting over ToEE for having a couple bugs and not having RTwP combat and being too complicated and not having a fully recruitable party but forced you to think and make a decent party to do well, etc. Then shitting all over Bloodlines for the same nonsensicle bullshit. And this is after all you fucking retards pirated the hell out of Arcanum without even thinking of buying it and trashing the shit out of it. All because you really love rpgs.

It would be nice if retarded kids stopped revising history to fit with their oh-so-hip I post on an rpg site and I am a big shot internal narrative.

You are just a kid with shit taste and fucked up chromosomes. Fuck you. Fuck your toys. Fuck your pokemon. Fuck your Zelda. Fuck your whore mother for raising a man-child. And fuck all of your revisionist histories.

P.S. I know I said I wouldn't be back to this thread but I hate this fucking nobody piece of shit enough to break my word. I just want to kick him in his down-syndromey face until there isn't one.

:hmmm:

You seem angry.
You must be going trough a rough patch in your life.
Do you need a hug?
Or maybe you need to talk about your feellings?
Tell us all about your problems. Let it all out.:happytrollboy:

P.S.: Actually we support real RPG's. 2 are going to come out this year (supossedly). One is called Battle Brothers, the other Grimoire (wich will most likely never be realeased).

Last edited:

bataille

Arcane
I myself just wonder how we didn't work more Alabama football and Russian submarine jokes in regarding the red tide, but so it goes.

bataille - "Maybe the poster of PST above your computer reminded you to restrain yourself and have some semblance of good taste. You should have made a lot of references to Virgia Woolf's The Waves or some Homer's passages about the sea or something high-brow like that. That would have given you the strongest weapon of all: a valid reason to deflect criticism by the way of accusing the critics of idiocy."

Silver Tide raised a Tiny amount.
Red Tide raised a Tiny amount.

GloomFrost

Arcane
What now unbelievers? Bow down before the greatness.

Well fair enough! I m convinced, forget everything i said before about this grand masterpiece that easily rivals the original torment. I was blind but now I see! Its just i thought that your actions dont meter but "THEY REALLY DO" I thought that story wasnt interesting but turns out it was a "FANTASTIC STORY" and ofcourse how can you possibly dislike the game if Kotaku says its "REALLY FUCKING GOOD!!!!" All hail Fargo!!!
But in all fairness who's idea was releasing this...... i dont even know what that is. A trailer? A commercial? Another desperate attempt to sell at least couple more thousands copies? Jesus Christ this is history in the making people!

bataille

Arcane
P.S. I love the synergy between your name (Bataille) and your title (literate).

I would love to have the title "acephale" for maximum authenticity and wink-wink factor.

b51c1f77c954e8083f0ae13d25e397b2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom