Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

hiver

Stating that something is boring, (in this case intellectually and cognitively defected too), you retards, is not a request to get entertained.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Not that I disagree (I also prefer turn-based combat, for the record), but two arguments regarding BG:

1. Playing Baldur's Gate, with it endless hordes of respawned kobolds and gibberlings, in turn-based mode could make the game really tedious, while RTWP was quick and managable. This does not mean that RTWP is better because it is faster, this only means that RTWP is more comfortable to use for this kind of repeatable encounters.
2. There are some things that are very difficult to simulate in D&D-like turn based system. For example, hit&run tactics. In BG, I could send my mage invisible towards enemy lines, fireball the living shit out of them and escape before they could retaliate (or even target and follow him). Try to do something like this in ToEE. Of course there is a lot of things You can do in ToEE that You cannot do in BG, but this only means that both systems have their advantages over the other, not that one is clearly superior, as You're trying to say.
Those are mostly side effects of RTwP, though. The trash mobs are there because the quickness of RTwP demands it, or else the pacing of the game would suffer. If the game was turn-based and thus slower-paced, I doubt you'd see as many kobolds or gibberlings. "Hit & Run" / kiting is an exploit more than anything else.

karfhud

Augur
I think it's illegitimate to defend RTwP because it was not the RTwP which had anything to do with what was good about BG's combat. It was the encounters and the ruleset.

Obviously nobody wants turn-based with shit encounters or rulesets. I don't even know why this is mentioned. However, if there were two games which were identical in every way except one had turn-based combat and one had RTwP, the turn-based one wins by default, because turn-based is simply the superior way of handling combat.

Not that I disagree (I also prefer turn-based combat, for the record), but two arguments regarding BG:

1. Playing Baldur's Gate, with it endless hordes of respawned kobolds and gibberlings, in turn-based mode could make the game really tedious, while RTWP was quick and managable. This does not mean that RTWP is better because it is faster, this only means that RTWP is more comfortable to use for this kind of repeatable encounters.
2. There are some things that are very difficult to simulate in D&D-like turn based system. For example, hit&run tactics. In BG, I could send my mage invisible towards enemy lines, fireball the living shit out of them and escape before they could retaliate (or even target and follow him). Try to do something like this in ToEE. Of course there is a lot of things You can do in ToEE that You cannot do in BG, but this only means that both systems have their advantages over the other, not that one is clearly superior, as You're trying to say.

That's exactly why I reckon TC will fit perfectly in TToN. I just don't see generic encounters against generic, goblin/orc-like mobs in Numenera; I anticipate that when it indeed comes down to combat, it's against a memorable, formidable foe. Combat should have some meaning, add to the storytelling premise, instead of just bashing through rats for XP. Going along these lines, tactical combat is spot on, because it adds to this feeling of a unique, engaging fight.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Those are mostly side effects of RTwP, though. The trash mobs are there because the quickness of RTwP demands it, or else the pacing of the game would suffer. If the game was turn-based and thus slower-paced, I doubt you'd see as many kobolds or gibberlings.
Do you suggest that turn-based combat systems in games automatically prevent those games from having trash mobs?

"Hit & Run" / kiting is an exploit more than anything else.
Is it difficult to implement hit&run in D&D-like turn-based game, or not?

EDIT:
That's exactly why I reckon TC will fit perfectly in TToN. I just don't see generic encounters against generic, goblin/orc-like mobs in Numenera; I anticipate that when it indeed comes down to combat, it's against a memorable, formidable foe. Combat should have some meaning, add to the storytelling premise, instead of just bashing through rats for XP. Going along these lines, tactical combat is spot on, because it adds to this feeling of a unique, engaging fight.
Yes, I would like nothing better than meaningful, tactical (preferrably turn-based) combat in TToN, but I also hope it will not be one of the dominating gameplay aspects of the game.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Do you suggest that turn-based combat systems in games automatically prevent those games from having trash mobs?
I'm suggesting that the trash mobs were put there on purpose with RTwP in mind.

I don't know, depends on how closely you want to follow the D&D rules and what you mean by hit & run. If you're talking about stuff like an invisible mage fireballing the shit out of enemies and making a quick escape, not really.

Rake

Arcane

I love IE combat. But from what we know about Numenera, it won't have attrition by hordes of enemies, so that advantage of RTwP is useless for this game.
If you have only hand-picked and difficult encounters(aka semi boss fights), TB is just as good. I don't think that you will have to clear any dungeons in T:ToN

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm suggesting that the trash mobs were put there on purpose with RTwP in mind.

I don't know, depends on how closely you want to follow the D&D rules and what you mean by hit & run. If you're talking about stuff like an invisible mage fireballing the shit out of enemies and making a quick escape, not really.
I believe, you are wrong, but as I don't think I can convince of you of that, I will not continue this argument any further, because of pointlessness.

EDIT:
I love IE combat. But from what we know about Numenera, it won't have attrition by hordes of enemies, so that advantage of RTwP is useless for this game.
If you have only hand-picked and difficult encounters(aka semi boss fights), TB is just as good. I don't think that you will have to clear any dungeons in T:ToN
I will repeat one more time: yes, please! No trash mobs + good turn-based combat for TToN, and I will be happy.

hiver

Better yet, start sneaking, using "sense" skill to get a wider range of view then the opponents, who use their own skills to counteract - try to spot you. Pass the checks, move smartly, environment bonuses add, get in range - get a few more APs as reward, chug the fireball, score a critical surprise attack, that leaves all living enemies stunned for a few seconds - which translates to extra bonus move for you.
(of course if Ai was worth anything enemies should react appropriately ... but yeah.. thats high fantasy)

(optional XP for silently taking out some guards first - by use of other more indirect magic)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Cast invisibility, move into range, click end turn.
Cast fireball, move back to your own team, click end turn.
:shittymagicrules:

By the way isn't he talking about if BG was turn-based? In BG Spellcasting takes the whole round and cast time modifies your initiative, even assuming you'd cast invisibility beforehand and get surprise it would still be a supremely retarded strategy because after the fireball you'd just be sitting there waiting to be gang-raped.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:shittymagicrules:

By the way isn't he talking about if BG was turn-based? In BG Spellcasting takes the whole round and cast time modifies your initiative, even assuming you'd cast invisibility beforehand and get surprise it would still be a supremely retarded strategy because after the fireball you'd just be sitting there waiting to be gang-raped.
Casting meant you couldn't take other actions in that round like attack or drink a potion, but you were free to move as soon as the animation ended.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That's true, although that's more related to the way they have those personal rounds set up where movement isn't really taken into consideration. In TB you wouldn't be able to cast and then move.

buzz

Arcane
I know we're supposed to be all about "master race PC gaming", but I think that point and click RPGs like Torment would be suited pretty fine for smartphones and tablets. Did anyone play Baldur's Gate EE on ipad?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Unfortunately I can't look at it, I'm one of those few people left in the first world that does not have a smartphone (or tablet, laptop etc)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom