Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

BlackGoat

Arbiter
So is inEPTile's idea of a paintover pass just running the image through a sharpening filter? Because that's what it looks like.
I remember being excited about the promised PoE paintover pass and then the final art just looked... sterile.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I remember being excited about the promised PoE paintover pass and then the final art just looked... sterile.

The painted over areas look great though. They just didn't have time to do that to every map, so a lot of 'em are just screencaps of 3D maps as-is.

Jesus H Christ! First I find out that there is no day/night cycle, now I find we no longer have a combat log. What's next? "We cut off the violence because Numenera's setting is not about violence, it's about being gay with everyone and making everything politically correct".
So once again my theory was right, the changes to the interface in the beta (from alpha) reflects the console version intention:
The spaces from the portrait's end to the edge of the screen where the log was (now we have console buttons).
I'm not only skeptical about this game, now I'm sure it won't live up to PS:T.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
So is inEPTile's idea of a paintover pass just running the image through a sharpening filter?
It's resizing artifact. It looks like they are recoloring renders a little.
Full-size screenshots for further art analysis:
Torment-Tides-of-Numenera-162700.jpg

Torment-Tides-of-Numenera-158600.jpg

Torment-Tides-of-Numenera-162696.jpg

Torment-Tides-of-Numenera-162695.jpg

Torment-Tides-of-Numenera-162697.jpg

Torment-Tides-of-Numenera-162699.jpg

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
They already had a combat log in the crisis alpha, but then it disappeared. Probably didn't fit with the "feel" they wanted to create for the game.
Wait, so they've removed combat log? Wow. They certainly spare no effort in turning the game into a truly mindless feel-good console adventure. Reading and interpreting a combat log could potentially prompt some mental activity and who'd want that?!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They already had a combat log in the crisis alpha, but then it disappeared. Probably didn't fit with the "feel" they wanted to create for the game.
Wait, so they've removed combat log? Wow. They certainly spare no effort in turning the game into a truly mindless feel-good console adventure. Reading and interpreting a combat log could potentially prompt some mental activity and who'd want that?!
There was no combat log in PST. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think damage numbers (or at the very least, the damage rolls for those numbers) were off by default too. :M

There should be an option to display combat roll floats if there's not one, so it can have feature parity.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Haha, yeah, I get a giggle each time one of the local edgy try-hards starts ranting about radial UI being massive console decline. Makes you wonder how much of PS:T cult following consist of people who never played the darn thing because it was too much reading, but pretend otherwise because of game's reputation as a masterpiece.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...of-numenera-gameplay-footage-console-xbox-one

Here's brand new footage of Torment: Tides of Numenera - running on Xbox One no less

It's Torment: Tides of Numenera running on console! Moreover, it's new areas of the game we haven't seen before. And look at the user interface: someone's had a makeover haven't they?

That character screen is much tidier, with a little animated flourish for good measure, and those character portraits are big and clear and easy to understand. The action box where you exert yourself when attempting a task has changed, and for the better, and there's a radial menu for console you can activate on PC too. Even the text window gives a little flash when it pops up now. Compare the two videos below - the new UI is so much nicer.

This is Torment: Tides of Numenera Xbox One footage we captured at Gamescom. We didn't play it, it was a hands-off demo, and this is condensed footage of it.

What are you seeing? An area immediately following on from the Early Access Torment: Tides of Numenera content. An area called the Valley of Dead Heroes, where I bet there's some amazing loot. Bit depressing that that's my first thought, grave digging, but this graveyard is millions of years old and countless civilisations have used it. Sounds like rich pickings to me!

You get to the Valley of Dead Heroes on airship - one of the airships you probably remember from the Early Access Torment release.

Talking us through the video is Torment: Tides of Numenera creative lead Colin McComb, who runs marathons in his spare time, and Brian Fargo, who has nothing to do with that Coen brothers film or that TV series, but everything to do with a lot of good video games.

I previewed Torment: Tides of Numenera back in the cold beginnings of the year, and liked it, a lot. You'll need to lend it your imagination, but if you do, you're in for an unusual, cerebral treat. Torment: Tides of Numenera even packs a nifty surprise at the start, although don't read about it if, you know, you want to be surprised yourself. Incidentally, the duo from developer inXile mention in our Gamescom video that the opening Torment sequences have been revisited the text dialled back a bit. It should make for a smoother entry.

Torment: Tides of Numenera is due out Q1 2017 on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
"and there's a radial menu for console you can activate on PC too"
HAHAHhahahhAHAHAH

that radial menu...
square icons within a curved ambient.

...as a saddle suits a sow.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Brian Fargo is like the video game publisher version of
lmfaoooo-r-kelly-wanna-be-young-so-bad-ehab-hab-3255189.png

Just wishing it was 2001 again.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...of-numenera-gameplay-footage-console-xbox-one

Here's brand new footage of Torment: Tides of Numenera - running on Xbox One no less

It's Torment: Tides of Numenera running on console! Moreover, it's new areas of the game we haven't seen before. And look at the user interface: someone's had a makeover haven't they?

That character screen is much tidier, with a little animated flourish for good measure, and those character portraits are big and clear and easy to understand. The action box where you exert yourself when attempting a task has changed, and for the better, and there's a radial menu for console you can activate on PC too. Even the text window gives a little flash when it pops up now. Compare the two videos below - the new UI is so much nicer.

This is Torment: Tides of Numenera Xbox One footage we captured at Gamescom. We didn't play it, it was a hands-off demo, and this is condensed footage of it.

What are you seeing? An area immediately following on from the Early Access Torment: Tides of Numenera content. An area called the Valley of Dead Heroes, where I bet there's some amazing loot. Bit depressing that that's my first thought, grave digging, but this graveyard is millions of years old and countless civilisations have used it. Sounds like rich pickings to me!

You get to the Valley of Dead Heroes on airship - one of the airships you probably remember from the Early Access Torment release.

Talking us through the video is Torment: Tides of Numenera creative lead Colin McComb, who runs marathons in his spare time, and Brian Fargo, who has nothing to do with that Coen brothers film or that TV series, but everything to do with a lot of good video games.

I previewed Torment: Tides of Numenera back in the cold beginnings of the year, and liked it, a lot. You'll need to lend it your imagination, but if you do, you're in for an unusual, cerebral treat. Torment: Tides of Numenera even packs a nifty surprise at the start, although don't read about it if, you know, you want to be surprised yourself. Incidentally, the duo from developer inXile mention in our Gamescom video that the opening Torment sequences have been revisited the text dialled back a bit. It should make for a smoother entry.

Torment: Tides of Numenera is due out Q1 2017 on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

Who thought it would be a good idea to mash so many ''settings'' into one game? It feels so disjointed to jump from sci-fi maps and then to fantasy lalala land.And the main problem is that nothing seems to blend well,all the stuff on the screen just looks randomly thrown around and the bright colors are just making things worse.

It's like they are competing with Elex to see who can regurgitate more bullshit.I can safely say that I regret giving money for this crap

Hegel

Arcane
Lot of variance in the quality of those areas, outsourced maybe? The UI is atrocious though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom