Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Obviously, weirdness which makes sense is far, far superior than nonsensical weirdness, but still, being stale got to the point in which it is so bad that I prefer something nonsensical but inventive than somehow making sense, but boring. And mind you that most of the stale, mainstream entertainment does not care much about making sense, so you will get something not entirely meaningful either way.

At least your novel has a fun concept. Most entertainment does not get that far.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Since we're talking stuff from the Planescape source books, who do you think this one inspired?

inByKwi.png

This looks familiar too:

2vFmoAL.jpg

And this I find inspirational:

OOP9mXM.png

hqdefault.jpg

throwaway

Cipher
Thought the trailer was fairly good. Even if the fact that a decent chunk of the plot has been spoiled (feel like this has been a complaint for over a year) I'm hoping for a couple of layers to spice things up (I have hight hopes for all that traveling to some outer space location evident from the very early artwork).

Still, if the worst case scenario would be them copying the BG2 Irenicus formula, if they managed to get in some side content comparable to the Cicle of Zerthimon I'd consider my pledge worth it.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thank you for contacting inXile Entertainment.

Our support hours are: 10:00am-6:00pm PST, Monday through Friday. You should receive a response within 48 hours.
Good luck. 10 days and counting from my last correspondence with InXile Support.

I just got the refund.

Everybody it seems loves the Torment intro/trailer but for me it was the drop that spilled the cup.
And because of this trailer, I requested a full refund.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
I wonder how much they have lost in refunds by now.

Probably not that much. I've shared the news of those cuts in several gaming groups, and the overall consensus among members is: "I trust them, they probably only did that so we could get the best possible game! And besides, they'll include all that stuff in the Director's Cut, FOR FREE!" :?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brother None told me that they got less than ten refund requests after the turn-based combat decision. It's not really a thing that people do.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even if they do, they are still taking new pledges. They'll lose a little, but I don't see this being a big deal for most players. A lot of people like to talk but not everyone puts their money where their mouth is.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Most people don't refund because the wasted little money on it, or they don't keep up with the development and don't know what is happening or know what is happening and want to see the train wreckage with their own eyes anyway, they have very little to lose. If Torment sucks however, InXile should start seeking other sources of financing themselves that isn't through crowdfunding.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I gotta say, it seems just plain weird, if the story and plot turns out to be nothing more than what has already been revealed from trailers, articles and so on.

My only reasoning is, that the story and plot that has been revealed so far, does not really reveal or tell anything spoilerish about the story, because the mystery of the story, doesn't lie in knowing what changing god, castoffs and the sorrow is.
There's much more to it, than that, is what I'm hoping. Otherwise, it would be downright silly of InXile to reveal this much information.

tldr: The things revealed so far wasn't ever supposed to be "big mystery" it's just basis information to set the premise and get the game going. There's alot of twist and turns abound. We'll see soon enough.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I just got the refund.

Everybody it seems loves the Torment intro/trailer but for me it was the drop that spilled the cup.
And because of this trailer, I requested a full refund.
I am glad you, Darth Roxor, and everyone else got a refund. At this point, I do not have much to add. Perhaps the game could be decent, but I just lost confidence.

I gotta say, it seems just plain weird, if the story and plot turns out to be nothing more than what has already been revealed from trailers, articles and so on.

My only reasoning is, that the story and plot that has been revealed so far, does not really reveal or tell anything spoilerish about the story, because the mystery of the story, doesn't lie in knowing what changing god, castoffs and the sorrow is.
There's much more to it, than that, is what I'm hoping. Otherwise, it would be downright silly of InXile to reveal this much information.

tldr: The things revealed so far wasn't ever supposed to be "big mystery" it's just basis information to set the premise and get the game going. There's alot of twist and turns abound. We'll see soon enough.
Mengsk the story could have plenty of twists and turns left, but that is not the problem in my opinion. The problem is that the current story does not feel like an improvement over the original hook. If I remember correctly, the original hook was that you were the lone castoff and you had to gather allies/clues before the Sorrow/Angel of Entropy finally caught you. It has been a long time, but I also remember a promise that the environment would change as the Sorrow approached and how you were on a time limit (is this still in?). In contrast, we now have a society of castoffs, multiple factions, the Sorrow as a force of balance, and the Changing One as a cult leader.

To me, this means the story centers more on faction drama and less on the castoff himself/herself. Faction drama is not bad (New Vegas, etc), but it is not what I expected out of a Torment game. Although PST had factions (Anarchists, Craftsmen, Sensates, etc), these factions did not take center stage.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Unfortunately, it's probably extremely little. Most people backed this about 4 years ago, and not only have many probably more or less forgotten it, but out of those that haven't, only a fraction are even aware of what's going on - and out of those that both follow development and are aware, the amount of people that are willing to actually go through the hassle of demanding a refund are likely in the considerable majority, since it's not a major amount for most backers anyway - had I pledged $15-20, I can't say for sure that I would've demanded a refund on anything other than principle, even though that would've been a considerable amount for me to just throw at something at the time of pledging.

It doesn't help that the people that would be the most likely to withdraw their funding - Italians - are probably the ones that are the least aware of the whole thing, since they apparently cannot into English to save their lives.

Exposition and pacing of information is as much part of the storytelling process as any "story and plot turns" as anything else.

By your logic, this is not a spoiler:
The character depicted without a face is Maralel, The First Castoff, who turned on The Changing God after he didn't make good on his promise to restore her - not actually the Changing God.
Because you know, it doesn't really tell you anything about the story, after all, it just tells you who or what something or someone is, no?

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Unfortunately, it's probably extremely little. Most people backed this about 4 years ago, and not only have many probably more or less forgotten it, but out of those that haven't, only a fraction are even aware of what's going on - and out of those that both follow development and are aware, the amount of people that are willing to actually go through the hassle of demanding a refund are likely in the considerable majority, since it's not a major amount for most backers anyway - had I pledged $15-20, I can't say for sure that I would've demanded a refund on anything other than principle, even though that would've been a considerable amount for me to just throw at something at the time of pledging.

It doesn't help that the people that would be the most likely to withdraw their funding - Italians - are probably the ones that are the least aware of the whole thing, since they apparently cannot into English to save their lives.

Exposition and pacing of information is as much part of the storytelling process as any "story and plot turns" as anything else.

By your logic, this is not a spoiler:
The character depicted without a face is the First Castoff, who turned on The Changing God, not actually the Changing God.
Because you know, it doesn't really tell you anything about the story, after all, it just tells you who or what something or someone is, no?

I understand that pacing and exposition is important. But I'm just saying, alot of people say that the game is ruined, because the game gives away all the "mystery" from the start of the game, well what if the premise and start of the game information and exposition isn't supposed to be the big mystery or overall story, but there's alot more to it, then just what has been revealed so far? I don't neccesarily see a problem with knowing the premise of the game, if the story has alot more to offer, than just the basic stuff we know already. But yeah, we'll see. If the game really has nothing more to offer in terms of the overall plot and story that has been revealed, then that will be disappointing.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I think asking for a refund is overreacting. TToN may not live to the high expectations some of us had during the KS but I really doubt it's that bad. Have you only bought perfect games until now? Probably not.

Though inXile made several bad design decisions (and their treatment of the Codex was anything but fair), the game still has more of true CRPG in it than almost anything released in the past few years. Things like multiple quest solutions and non-conventional setting certainly deserve some credit as does having an antagonist that isn't yet another cardboard cutout villain.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
[...] a time limit (is this still in?). [...]

[...]

A time limit? In [THE CURRENT YEAR]? Surely you jest. We're talking about a game was compromised in order to be released on consoles. The question cannot be taken seriously. The very idea of an enforced time-limit, no matter how narratively appropriate, is completely alien to a modern[ist] RPG.

Fargo's lunch money
I dunno, man, I think that sounds like a bit much. Given how much money this project must've hemorrhaged and had diverted to come out as such a hack-job, I'd be surprised if he hasn't been eating gilded dolphin and truffle-stuffed galapagos turtle for lunch for four years, washed down with champagne, tears of our ancestors, and the blood of the innocent.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
A time limit? In [THE CURRENT YEAR]? Surely you jest. We're talking about a game was compromised in order to be released on consoles. The question cannot be taken seriously. The very idea of an enforced time-limit, no matter how narratively appropriate, is completely alien to a modern[ist] RPG.
:negative:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is and has never been supposed to be a clock-ticking-down "time limit". There are things that are supposed to change in the world when you sleep, though it's unclear how much of that got implemented.

BTW, we first learned that you're not just a lone castoff in...September 2014: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9618

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
There is and has never been supposed to be a clock-ticking-down "time limit". There are things that are supposed to change in the world when you sleep.
It has been a while, but I could have sworn there was a developer note that visuals would change as the Sorrow approached a location. Moreover, I thought I remembered a comment that we would not be able to reach every quest/location in time. That could have been determined by sleep, but that still looks like a time limit of some type.

BTW, we first learned that you're not just a lone castoff in...September 2014: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9618

Yeah, and since then we have learned about a cult of castoffs, an Angel of :balance:, plus multiple other factions. Let's also not forget the cut content so quickly.

Edit: Either way, we have a change away from the original set up and mystery being replaced by factions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom