Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FeelTheRads

Arcane
a friend played the newest beta. he really recommended it to me and keep saying i would love the shit out of this.

The typical "I don't like this kind of crap, but I know a guy who does so he must like this" ?

Also, in related news, at some point one might start wondering what's up with the air in this game.

"The air is humid and dank"

"The air is dead and stifling"

"The air is thick, foul and textured with the slickness of maggots"

Bonus level:

"Its clothes are finely tailored and well made"

My dick just got soft and flaccid.

Last edited:

Rev

Arcane
After reading Roxor's posts I want him to make the official Codex review for this game. :obviously:

Also, I think we need an "It was Castoffs" button for this thread.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I meet Erritis the fabulous blondie and chat him up. Sez there he's uneasy about mirrors.

So I take him to the mirrors in the changing god's sikrit lab, thinking I'm being clever.

nothing happens

:nocountryforshitposters:

Shape

Educated
Does the early access version of the game still allow you to play only up to an early point in the game nowadays? Or did they expand on the length since the first alpha release?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Clearly you needed a big "uneasy" sign to appear above his head and have the Specter say, "He's getting uneasy!"

:troll:

that would at least be something
borealesad.jpg

SniperHF

Arcane
Does the early access version of the game still allow you to play only up to an early point in the game nowadays? Or did they expand on the length since the first alpha release?

It still ends before the next main area.

Sykar

Arcane
I find it hard to believe that this sort of game introduction is really new to you.

Oh come on.

Tutorial dungeons are as old the hills. They too can be done in different degrees of dumbness.

Take one that's pretty far towards the dumbfuck end of the scale -- the Mass Effect Eden Prime mission. It introduces you to all the mechanics and gameplay elements. The only way it differs from the "real" missions is in that it's shorter, even more linear, and it has tutorial pop-up messages you can disable. It gives you a glimpse of the main antagonist. It communicates that it's scary as fuck. And you get to play space Jesus or renegade in a few unimportant encounters.

Things it doesn't do:

- have an NPC explain to you who the Protheans are, what that artefact is, and why exactly it's so bloody important
- give you a clear look of the main antagonist and have an NPC explain to you that it's named 'Sovereign' and is a machine intelligence from a race of beings called 'Reapers' that wipes out all sentient life every 50,000 years
- have an NPC explain that Because Reasons you're extra-special and the only one who can save the galaxy from the threat of these 'Reapers'

The T:ToN intro does the equivalent of all that, and more. When I'm out of the dungeon, there is no mystery left. I know I'm a Castoff, who are born when an individual called the Changing God moves zir consciousness out of one body and into another, that there is a scary thing called The Sorrow who wants to destroy the Changing God and all castoffs, that it's invaded my mind palace, that I return to that mind palace when I 'die', that I'm really fucking hard to kill, but not impossible, that the key to defeating the Sorrow is to restore the Resonance Chamber, and that to do that my next steps should be contacting the Cult of the Changing God or the Aeon Priests (my choice).

It's all spelled out for me in excruciating detail, and it's listed that way in my journal in case I was so stoned that I didn't notice when the Spectre rubbed my eyeballs in it.

The thing that hooked me from the first instant in PS:T was the mystery: who, and what, is this floating skull, and why is he following me? Did I really tattoo instructions for myself in SCARY CAPS on my back? Who the fuck is Pharod and where do I find him? Where's my journal? How is it that all these people seem to know who I am, and I even left things for myself for later? Etcetera etcetera. It's just a mountain of questions and mysteries and just subtle hints on how I should go about unraveling them.

Also, the Mortuary was one hell of a tutorial dungeon. All they'd have needed to do to 'modernise' something like that would have been to add optional tooltips explaining mechanics where appropriate; how Effort works and so on.

Once more: this is Tumblr: Tides of Numenera, not Torment.

I am sad to read that I had my hopes up for nothing. I guess I will just have another run through good old Planescape:Torment instead and enjoy true (narrative) brilliance.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I find it hard to believe that this sort of game introduction is really new to you.

Oh come on.

Tutorial dungeons are as old the hills. They too can be done in different degrees of dumbness.

Take one that's pretty far towards the dumbfuck end of the scale -- the Mass Effect Eden Prime mission. It introduces you to all the mechanics and gameplay elements. The only way it differs from the "real" missions is in that it's shorter, even more linear, and it has tutorial pop-up messages you can disable. It gives you a glimpse of the main antagonist. It communicates that it's scary as fuck. And you get to play space Jesus or renegade in a few unimportant encounters.

Things it doesn't do:

- have an NPC explain to you who the Protheans are, what that artefact is, and why exactly it's so bloody important
- give you a clear look of the main antagonist and have an NPC explain to you that it's named 'Sovereign' and is a machine intelligence from a race of beings called 'Reapers' that wipes out all sentient life every 50,000 years
- have an NPC explain that Because Reasons you're extra-special and the only one who can save the galaxy from the threat of these 'Reapers'

The T:ToN intro does the equivalent of all that, and more. When I'm out of the dungeon, there is no mystery left. I know I'm a Castoff, who are born when an individual called the Changing God moves zir consciousness out of one body and into another, that there is a scary thing called The Sorrow who wants to destroy the Changing God and all castoffs, that it's invaded my mind palace, that I return to that mind palace when I 'die', that I'm really fucking hard to kill, but not impossible, that the key to defeating the Sorrow is to restore the Resonance Chamber, and that to do that my next steps should be contacting the Cult of the Changing God or the Aeon Priests (my choice).

It's all spelled out for me in excruciating detail, and it's listed that way in my journal in case I was so stoned that I didn't notice when the Spectre rubbed my eyeballs in it.

The thing that hooked me from the first instant in PS:T was the mystery: who, and what, is this floating skull, and why is he following me? Did I really tattoo instructions for myself in SCARY CAPS on my back? Who the fuck is Pharod and where do I find him? Where's my journal? How is it that all these people seem to know who I am, and I even left things for myself for later? Etcetera etcetera. It's just a mountain of questions and mysteries and just subtle hints on how I should go about unraveling them.

Also, the Mortuary was one hell of a tutorial dungeon. All they'd have needed to do to 'modernise' something like that would have been to add optional tooltips explaining mechanics where appropriate; how Effort works and so on.

Once more: this is Tumblr: Tides of Numenera, not Torment.

I am sad to read that I had my hopes up for nothing. I guess I will just have another run through good old Planescape:Torment instead and enjoy true (narrative) brilliance.

Here's a tip: Never believe Prime Cunta's lies. Try the game yourself.

Rev

Arcane
Here's a tip: Never believe Prime Cunta's lies. Try the game yourself.
But Roxor is saying basically the same things. :M

I will try the game when it comes out, anyway, since I've already paid for it during the KS. Not that I have high expectations, given inXile's record.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom