Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Can anyone explain to me all the rage about health bars? Serious question, haven't followed developement at all.

Originally attacks would sap one of your three attributes, they decided this wasn't fun, now they just drain hp.

Not to mention it throws managing your pools and targeting specific enemy pools, basic mechanic of Numanuma, out of the window

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Can anyone explain to me all the rage about health bars? Serious question, haven't followed developement at all.

It's not about health bars literally. It's about HP which were not originally included in the game since they don't exist in the system.

The reason for their addition is most likely because their testers didn't get it (aka they are retarded).

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The reason for their addition is most likely because their testers didn't get it (aka they are retarded).

actually Colin McComb addresed the reason for the change right on these forums.
Does anyone have the quote?
what's his name here?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
we didn't want to create a frustrating initial experience because of a combination of stat management and unlucky random numbers.

Couldn't they just have addressed this in Story Mode difficulty and left the rest of the game alone?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...t-2016-The-Tide-is-Rising-with-this-CRPG.html

Interviews: PAX West 2016 - The Tide is Rising with this CRPG

11137.jpg

We have played Torment: Tides of Numenara, and lo… it was good. During PAX Prime, we got our hands on one of Kickstarter’s most successfully funded gaming projects. It’s been a long time coming, but the InExile team is getting ever closer to releasing this long-awaited successor to Planescape Torment. As such, we sat down with Colin McComb and George Ziets from the team and played a solid 45 minutes of the opening.

For those unfamiliar, Torment: Tides of Nemenara is the long-awaited sort-of sequel to Planescape: Torment, with this edition being based on Monte Cook’s new Numenara tabletop game series. Chris Avellone is writing parts of the game, so is Patrick Rothfuss, and all of it comes together into this massive single-player science fiction RPG set on earth one billion years into the future. Civilizations have risen and fallen countless times, leaving behind their technology and tools for the current inhabitants (humans who’ve returned to Earth) to try and figure out what it all means.

It’s worth noting that the far future tech of Numenara is equivalent to magic. From the current timeline, humanity has only been back on earth for a thousand years, and as Clark’s Third Law says, “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” Needless to say, being one billion years into the future, and with all of these aliens and their technology at your disposal… things get weird.

Torment1.jpg

This story isn’t about rescuing the world, saving the princess, or even stopping some giant evil. That’s been done before, and it’s not what Torment is about. The theme of the story this go around is simply: “What does one life matter?” And the life in question is yours, the cast-off husk of a god who must find his purpose in the 9th world.

There are over 1 million words of story in Torment: Tides of Numenara, and as such you’ll see an estimated 30% of the game’s content during any one given playthrough. In other words, Tides of Numenara will be a completionist’s nightmare. Death, as in Planescape: Torment, is not the end. While there will be some “game over” deaths, for the most part when your character dies you enter the Labyrinth – a sort of constructed space in your mind that’s been discovered over the billions of years. This applies to other characters too. You will eventually enter someone’s mind and be able to interact and alter their memories, which also alters the real past for that character. Yeah, it’s some trippy stuff, guys.

But it gets crazier: you’ll find a giant beast known as The Bloom, almost like a complete functional planet with people and societies living within it. You’ll be able to enter one of its mouths into a sort of dimensional portal across space and time. You’ll help a long-lived robot give birth to its baby robots that won’t stop dying without interference and aid. You’ll visit a planet where the beings are all beings of light… that happen to be the last flickering fragments of a giant robot’s mind which committed suicide eons prior due to loneliness. This is the world of Torment: Tides of Numenara. It is, without a doubt, some of the most creative and intelligent RPG writing I’ve seen in the space since the original game wowed us all in the 90s.

Torment2_t.jpg

It’s been a while since we checked in on the gameplay of Torment (January, actually). And a lot has changed. The gameplay has made a jump into the future along with the lore of the Tides of Numenara. The Tides themselves refer to your sort of character-based alignment paths. But rather than follow the D&D doctrine of “lawful, evil, neutral” Torment instead represents your actions and choices with colors that correspond to the many different tides – think of them like auras based on how you interact with the world and its people. Act haughty and mighty, and you’re working down the silver path. Act benevolent and kind, you’re riding the golden tide and so on. All of these, and the choices you make to guide your character in one direction or another, help formulate the way the world sees you.

Combat is turn-based, by way of backer vote, and that’s good because there’s a lot of strategy and planning in the way you fight. You’ll give orders to each character individually, so it’s familiar to fans of the Shadowrun reboot or Wasteland 2. But the real star of the game, while combat is well done and graphically impressive to boot is the fact that you can essentially talk your way out of all combat from moment one to end of game… if you’re good enough. You don’t ever need to fight, if you know how to work your words to get people to do what you want them to.

I only got to play through character creation, the opening Labyrinth mind space, and the first few steps into the 9th world of 1 Billion Years Older Earth, but I’m absolutely enthralled with the universe they’ve crafted here. Every new encounter and character is something interesting to interact with. Everything and everyone has a story, a mystery to solve. Torment: Tides of Numenara has been a long time coming, but when it arrives in Q1 2017, I have a suspicion it’ll have been well worth the wait.

You can tell they talked to Colin and not to Brian Fargo because they're using the 30% figure instead of 60%.

Coma White

Educated

I was actually madbro about this earlier in the thread -- and now that I think about it, I still am. But somebody smarter than I made it seem not so bad; I can't remember who it was -- Junta maybe?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
we didn't want to create a frustrating initial experience because of a combination of stat management and unlucky random numbers.

Couldn't they just have addressed this in Story Mode difficulty and left the rest of the game alone?

It may have been too difficult to balance both systems properly.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
The Game Analyst is the first and only person on this forum that is really starting to irritate me. I might have to see how the ignore list works.

Weasel
By the way, on the intro screen with the title the publisher name appears on the bottom left on the PC release. You can see that in the Alienware stream at 1h:43m.

I'm sure it'll only appear in relation to "retail sales" for the pc version, as that's all an evil publisher is needed for these days now that we have crowdfuding. Although I guess Sea is part of the completely separate console team they funded, while also working on the PC UI so maybe they deserve to have their name there. No point getting worked up though, at least it's not Deep Silver.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
YouTube version of Alienware stream:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom