Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #59: World of Numenera Trailer, Polish & Interface Improvements

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really hope that the animes refferences hasn't gone too far. I don't like animes, I used too, but now I'm old enough to understand that for one ergo proxy we have, thousands of narutos are made every day.

Well, ergo proxy could well be a proxy for what this game might turn out: a fascinating setting almost ruined by pretentious name-dropping (remember the French pseudo-scientists mentioned: guattari, deleuze and all that junk) and by trying to appear smarter than it actually is.

I am still optimistic. PoE was a decent-good game, and this has a fighting chance to be better.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Even if it's a cherry picked shot for the ground texture (that looks like shit no matter what you say), just look at the characters and the details on them.

The characters are a different story, by design I'm afraid:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-go-to-new-thread.79051/page-260#post-2803196
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...t-tides-of-numenera.91833/page-3#post-3289584

And since they're all wearing robes and cloth, there's not a lot of the variety you get from textured armors in a game like PoE.

Did they ever specify if companion armor could be upgraded? In PST there were some characters who could change their armor, but all the companions in the TToN alpha have unequippable armor.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even if it's a cherry picked shot for the ground texture (that looks like shit no matter what you say), just look at the characters and the details on them.

The characters are a different story, by design I'm afraid:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-go-to-new-thread.79051/page-260#post-2803196
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...t-tides-of-numenera.91833/page-3#post-3289584

And since they're all wearing robes and cloth, there's not a lot of the variety you get from textured armors in a game like PoE.

Did they ever specify if companion armor could be upgraded? In PST there were some characters who could change their armor, but all the companions in the TToN alpha have unequippable armor.

Seems like it was under consideration: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=15407&p=169298

I wouldn't bet on it not being cut, but I'll bump the thread and ask.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Too bad I'm not in regular communication with Brother None anymore.

Seems like it was under consideration: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=15407&p=169298

I think you just probably broke the world record in passive aggressiveness :salute:

Sacibengala

Prophet
I don't like animes, I used too, but now I'm old enough to understand that for one ergo proxy we have, thousands of narutos are made every day.

You mean that anime is just like any other art form?

I don't know what you mean by that. There are some animes that I'm really fond of. pieces that made me think. About life, about human society etc. but I don't know if it achieved the condition to be defined as art. As some examples, my favorites animes are "ergo proxy" "kino no tabi" " ghost in the shell" " fantastic children". Beyond that, i liked fullmetal alchemist (both), but in the latest years i can't find nothing that take my attention.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Saying "I don't like anime" is like saying "I don't like cartoons" as in "Really, all of them, no exceptions?" since it's just a medium for storytelling (in this case, animation created by the persons of a particular country).

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Saying "I don't like anime" is like saying "I don't like cartoons" as in "Really, all of them, no exceptions?" since it's just a medium for storytelling (in this case, animation created by the persons of a particular country).
This seems off for a few reasons. First, there are common -- not universal, but common -- traits to anime movies, and it seems efficient if somewhat inaccurate to treat those as defining anime, rather than treating anime as a shorthand for "any animated movie from Japan." Second, even if you treat anime as shorthand for "any animated movie from Japan," it's not impossible for a person to find it all pretty unengaging -- "I can't stand Greek plays" or "I can't stand Icelandic sagas" is a coherent position even though The Clouds and Oedipus Rex are very different. Third, obviously "anime" is a subset of "cartoons," so I'm not sure it's really like saying "I don't like cartoons" (which are culture-agnostic). "I don't like Russian novels" is different from "I don't like novels," "I don't like Chinese poetry" is different from "I don't like poetry."

I say this as someone who does like some anime movies, even some campy classic ones.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
it's just a medium
Due to Japan's long work hours and the resulting levels of stress and mental exhaustion, all anime is intended for a brain so extremely tired, that a western person has to be 12 years old or younger to be on that level of brain activity in order to enjoy anime. I.e. all anime is for kids or extremely mentally exhausted adults who can't even form coherent thoughts. This "medium" isn't used for anything else. Only a few exceptions exist.

kazgar

Arcane
Its great they're improving this game for all their Polish fans. They have been long suffering and deserve this.

Prime Junta

Or "I don't like opera."

As strange as it seems though, I know lots of people who don't like opera. Go figure.

(I don't like anime.)

Severian Silk

The main change is that they increased the xp requirements by a factor of 50 so that they could dole out tiny amounts of xp for almost everything the player does.
I wish they had kept the powers of 2. 4 8 16 32 64 128 256

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

ACwIUCa.png

throwaway

Cipher
Well, ergo proxy could well be a proxy for what this game might turn out: a fascinating setting almost ruined by pretentious name-dropping (remember the French pseudo-scientists mentioned: guattari, deleuze and all that junk) and by trying to appear smarter than it actually is.

I am still optimistic. PoE was a decent-good game, and this has a fighting chance to be better.
Did anyone from InExile namedrop D&G or were you talking about the anime?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron

Did anyone from InExile namedrop D&G or were you talking about the anime?
The anime. To its credit, From what I have seen, so far TToN has shown having more attempts at hitchhiker type of humour rather than pretentious anime pseudo philosophy.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

Or "I don't like opera."

As strange as it seems though, I know lots of people who don't like opera. Go figure.

(I don't like anime.)
Personally I cannot stand female opera singers, ruins the whole thing for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom