Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight 2 is a MASSIVE incline

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Difficulty ramps up during Acts but veteran is indeed significantly easier than Elite. Although a big problem with elite is the effective hp bloat we talked about earlier. It's not so much challenging as it is tedious. I haven't played in a while but for non-hardcore characters I just play on veteran so as not to get bored. Eventually I might go back and do an elite hardcore just to say I beat the game with it but I'd never consistently play on that difficulty.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Playing on elite with an Engineer and i'm getting my ass kicked (second hub in act two). I'm at a point now i have to kite all the time and i can only survive in a direct melee confrontation if i have a fully charged Force Field. And even then i'm still quaffing health potions one after the other. I was skeptical when people said they made this game harder, but i guess i was wrong.

BaconAndEggs

Augur
I don't think they have released the mod tools yet. Mod looks nifty, but i've still gotta beat the original game first. Hella long load times keep me from doing so though :(

zeitgeist

Magister
http://www.moddb.com/mods/synergiesmod/downloads

Adding 108 Elite monsters, 6 Rare dragons, 28 Raid dungeons, 11 unique World Bosses, 4 Sets of Legendary Armor, 16 new Tier-1 Legendary Weapons, brand new Quest lines, a new World hub for ACT5, and a whole new class: The Necromancer.

"24 planned classes" in future plans sounds utterly ridiculous though.
Has anyone tried this? Is it worth installing if you don't want to play Necromancer?

Multi-headed Cow

Patch 1.22.x.40
Released April 1, 2013

New Content

• New Unique and Legendary weapons for every item class
  • New class armor sets
  • New MapRoom maps
  • Additional side dungeons in Act 1 and 2 during New Game Plus play
  • Nether-Realm portals take you to a new Nether-Realm tileset, with new creatures
  • Headcrab pet
  • Alpaca pet
  • Panda pet
  • Stag pet
Modding

• Modding is now fully enabled. For Steam users, Steam Workshop support is integrated.
  • Modding is fully supported in multiplayer - filter available games by active mod combinations. With Steam Workshop, automatically subscribe to and match configurations to join modded games!
  • New to modding? Here's how to get started with GUTS - the Torchlight II GUTS wiki
Bugfixes

• Socketable-granted DOT effects now get character damage bonuses from focus and items
  • Fixed issue where Reflection would change your target while fishing, which would leave you in a bad state
  • Various protections to prevent poorly formed mods
  • Other minor fixes

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Question: does Torchlight 2 have an as ridiculously overpowered endboss as the first one?

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Question: does Torchlight 2 have an as ridiculously overpowered endboss as the first one?

I dont think hes that difficult, but then I played a cheese build summoner engineer with max block and all points in vita. Was hardcore elite, hence the cheese build, and I ended up dying to a stupid side mission in Act3 new game + (wraithlord) after getting really complacent due to not even getting close to dying for a long while.

New pets, I guess its time to roll a new toon.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Anyone still playing this? I just got in on Steam and would like to play with some bros, preferably on Elite, hardcore optional but preferred. I don't know anything about mods so whatever.

If you're interested, I'm teh noob in CDS (shows I'm playing Dota but I'm actually in TL2).

I would play with you. Would prefer Veteran, because I simply don't think Elite is balanced for fun, but I'll go Elite if you really want.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Anyone still playing this? I just got in on Steam and would like to play with some bros, preferably on Elite, hardcore optional but preferred. I don't know anything about mods so whatever.

I'm about start playing from level 1 with two or three Eurofriends, but I also have a variety of characters of varying levels up to 70. Haven't touched the game in months up 'til now. I'm interested in playing with you, but I don't have time right this minute. I'll need to join the Codex Steam group at some point, too.

Multiplayer Elite Hardcore as a first-time player, eh? Should be interesting. Veteran multiplayer is plenty hard, I think.

On the topic of balance fixes et al. that others had been discussing, every class and build except Ice Embermage annoys the shit out of me. Ice Embermage has extreme mobility, it has crowd control, it has massive quantities of giant-number, practically full-screen crit damage, virtually endless mana after a certain point, and actually quite a few defensive-oriented abilities as well. Nice blend of passive and active skills to keep things interesting and your fingers engaged, and almost all relevant skills are useful enough to buy up to their maximum. There are a number of complementary and useful spells, too. Overall, extremely satisfying to play, and you can spec pure Focus with just a bit of Dex and some Vit without feeling like you're sacrificing anything.

The other classes, though... they're a mess. It seems to me that worthwhile Engineer builds take 50 fucking levels before they start to get good, not to mention many of them are melee-flavored and will not survive multiplayer Elite Hardcore in melee range regardless of stats. Maybe I'm wrong there, need more experience. Dex is the shit dump stat in this game and doesn't affect ranged weapon damage, so Outlander usually ends up being a very limited Glaive/poison gimmick class, with Focus rather than Dex or Str, if I recall correctly. I'll admit that Berserker always baffled me and I have the least experience with it out of all the classes, but again, melee.

I had plenty of fun with STR/DEX focused Outlander that uses Shotgonnes with Rapid Fire, without taking any glaive skills except Sandstorm, which deals physical damage and therefore does not require focus. Shadowling Ammo and Shotgonne passive also works with Rapid Fire, making it even cooler. I dunno, seems to me that you can make plenty of fun characters in this game if you don't sperg out about numbers too much. Maybe not for Elite, but it's a pretty badly made difficulty in this game anyway. I did not find Elite to be very fun with any char.

circ

Arcane
HoLY SHIT. PDANDA PET.

Would maybe replay, but didn't they completely fuck over the gun class? Not just poison/glaive build but shotguns and bunch of other things too.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
They fucked it up from the get-go, in my view. Dexterity really ought to affect ranged weapon damage and actually allow you to dodge attacks most of the time, if you get it high enough—not only so that you don't have to split your stats between Strength and Dex, but also because your character will qualify for the stat requirements of Dexterity-based armor and weapons much sooner. If you choose to put more points into Strength than Dexterity as you go along, the problem is further exacerbated. On top of this, Runic appear to have added "reduced fumble chance" to Dexterity since I last played. That doesn't add a benefit, it's just a fuck-you they added to punish you for not buying up a marginal stat. Negative reinforcement at its finest.

What they really needed was a fifth stat for all the additional shit they tacked onto "traditional" stats. If Strength affected melee damage and crit multiplier, Dexterity affected ranged damage and crit multiplier, Focus affected magic damage and crit multiplier, Vitality affected health, armor and block as unusual, and then some other stat ("Expertise?") affected execute chance, dodge chance, and crit rate (which actually makes a fuckton of sense), I think the game would be a lot better. Instead, Focus is king even for Outlanders (dual wands/execute/etc.), everyone needs/wants some amount of Vitality as per usual, Strength is good but not quite as good as Focus (doesn't add mana, for one thing, which is used for nearly every skill) and even ranged attackers need quite a bit of it, and finally Dexterity is the smelly turd in the room that you want 100-ish of by level 100, because it really never does a lot for you except fuck you over on item reqs.

I mean sure, dual-pistol Outlanders are fun to use, but then any old thing is fine on lower difficulties. Crank it up, and the weaknesses of melee and ranged weapon (and tanking) classes become apparent.

At some point, I'll post a video of my Ice Embermage powernuking the entire screen on Elite NG+ whilst never getting hit or running out of mana. You'll see what I mean, it's like a lawnmower the size of the base of the Statue of Liberty.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I haven't played since the beta and a lot of crap seems to have changed. Also, it seems that most people play with the Synergies mod now which makes my experience with the game kind of moot.

Honestly I just want to get together with some people and shoot the shit. Not really worried about minmaxing right now since pretty much everything I knew about effective builds is useless with the new skill system. My favorite class was Outlander, if only because being ranged afforded me more survivability.

Anyways, it doesn't have to be today or anything. Like I said, I'm "teh noob" on CDS so just hit me up if you want to start a character. Doesn't really have to be hardcore, though I play on Elite hardcore because I found the game to be too easy during the beta.

Anyways, it doesn't have to be today or anything. Like I said, I'm "teh noob" on CDS so just hit me up if you want to start a character. Doesn't really have to be hardcore, though I play on Elite hardcore because I found the game to be too easy during the beta.

But beta was only the first act. Yes it might seem too easy on Veteran, except that around halfway through second act difficulty rockets up and you start getting one-shot killed more and more. Which is why I don't really see how playing hardcore would be that rewarding, but eh, I'll give it a go if you insist.

Multidirectional
Time to get a group game going? I'd be up for a TL 2 session every now and then. What timezone are you in?

Since when do you not know which timezone I'm in? I'm pretty sure we already established that we get the same hours.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Lel, meant SerratedBiz by that comment. Don't get so upset.:eek:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom