Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top Codex JRPGs

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vagrant Story I forgot about that...It came out in that magical era for Square Enix where everthing they released was a quality product
Any retarded shitposter that cant understand why the Souls game are more RPGs that 90% of the garbahe out there are simply beyond saving
Just as a sticky point; it is so much more an RPG that its very story fucks with that retarded western notion of "the chosen one" by having you question that very concept or if you are just a puppet beign lead with breadcrumbs to the oven
Check out Mr Btongue video on Dark Souls for a more educated view on this or Bunnyhop's video in case you are feeling ñike beign educted today

zwanzig_zwoelf

Any retarded shitposter that cant understand why the Souls game are more RPGs that 90% of the garbahe out there are simply beyond saving
'RPGs' and 'JRPGs' are considered as totally different genres. That's why I prefer to discuss this topic a little bit more.
As a matter of fact, I don't deny that Souls series are 'RPGs', but 'JRPGs'? Gotta discuss this.

As for you, learn to read, mongo.

I've always considered Lost Odyssey to be the pinnacle JRPG game. It will never get the credit it is due simply because it was only on xbox but the characters and dream sequences were top tier for JRPGs. I also thought Tales of Vesperia had some suprisingly likeable characters and very fun combat.

Outside of those I'm a sucker for Xenosaga series, Star Ocean Till the End of Time, and if Resonance of Fate had varied maps and good writing it would be a 10/10 game. Probably best combat in JRPG ever.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Maybe english is not your first language fucktard but by definition a JRPG is sonething done in Japan as opposwd to a western style RPG but if the shoe somehow fit then by all means show some of your sexless savantry and elighten us with your brilliance

zwanzig_zwoelf

Maybe english is not your first language fucktard but by definition a JRPG is sonething done in Japan as opposwd to a western style RPG but if the shoe somehow fit then by all means show some of your sexless savantry and elighten us with your brilliance
You're butthurt about me willing to discuss it? Ehh.
So Wizardry titles (made in Japan) are technically JRPGs? :M

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Why are people who dont care for JRPGs in the Japanese Games forum?
Probably recharging your coolness batteries before going for another round with the bedfull of supermodels waiting for your pleasure
Anyway
Talking about this topic has really brought back a lot of memories, it is amazing how great series I grew up with are Mostly long gone and forgotten By their publishers and most of the gamers (phantasy star, Grandia, Vagrant story, saga) or so changed they dont interest me anymore (final fantasy, dragon quest) it is hard to belive I have not played a quality new jrpg in over a decade

Gentle Player

Arcane
I'm having a hard time understanding how Souls series and King's Field relate to JRPGs.
Can anyone elaborate?

Because if I were to open a thread on any of those games in either General Gaming or General RPG discussion then they would be promptly moved to jRPG Weaboo Discussion.

:M

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So Wizardry titles (made in Japan) are technically JRPGs? :M

Not just technically. While many JRPGs use the mechanics of the early Wizardry games, the big difference is usually in the anime graphics.

The only JRPGs I somewhat enjoyed were the Etryan Odyssee games, though they are too repetitive and grindy for my taste.

Dark Spire is an exception in that it was created in Japan, but is basically a Western RPG (including graphics). And a great one at that. Best RPG on the Nintendo DS.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Not just technically. While many JRPGs use the mechanics of the early Wizardry games, the big difference is usually in the anime graphics.

The only JRPGs I somewhat enjoyed were the Etryan Odyssee games, though they are too repetitive and grindy for my taste.

Dark Spire is an exception in that it was created in Japan, but is basically a Western RPG (including graphics). And a great one at that. Best RPG on the Nintendo DS.
But graphics in Dark Souls don't look anime-ish. Therefore, it's not a JRPG. :cool:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
So I just checked Steam and what the fuck, Grandia 2 Anniversary Edition? This came out of fucking nowhere. I played the original PC version once and this game is awesome.

Featuring!

* Cam Clarke as Snarky McFuck-Down-On-His-Luck! The protagonist who doesn't give a fuck about anything but getting paid! (But really he has a heart of gold even though he doesn't show it, guys. No seriously, he's just... difficult. Some sort of emotional trauma from when he was young, I think.)
* Paul "Colonel Roy FUCKING Campbell" Eiding as his MOTHERFUCKING TALKING BIRD SIDEKICK!
* Jennifer Hale as a holy magic girl!
* Jodi Benson as a sexy demon(?) lady!!
* A story that is 100% plot twists and touches on RELIGION AND GODS AND SHIT!

It's probably even way more awesome than how I remember it. PLAY THIS SHIT NOW.

Edit: ALSO FUCK YOU KONJAD JRPGS ARE AWESOME

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Don't care about storyfaggotry. Is the combat system any gud or should I go with Trails in the Sky instead?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it had a good system, but the difficulty was far too easy for it to matter. Reminds me of FFX in that regard. Well, a lot of jrpgs are like that I suppose. Brilliant, complex system, then plug in a bunch of numbers with no real testing and it all becomes moot.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Combat system is piss easy. This is a "story game", plain and simple. Some minor (also easy) puzzle solving.

zwanzig_zwoelf

IIRC there is a mod to increase the difficulty in both Grandia games.
You can thank me later.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You'd think if you're going to take the shortcut of doing a flat stat boost across the board, you'd at least tweak more than one stat. Buffing all the enemy stats/nerfing player stats would go a lot further. A simple hp boost really only matters if attrition was an issue to begin with. Though maybe this was one of those games where boss fights did tend to end with a party low on MP, so it really would help. Been a long time.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Does anyone say "A Hind D? Colonel, what's a Russian gunship doing here?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom