Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top Codex JRPGs

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One of the only times I'm glad that I bought a 360.

Also, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon- Hard Mode, & all the shoot 'em ups (unrelated).

Deleted member 7219

Valkyria Chronicles. It's very nice but the story is a bit slow going~ It's actually a tactical turnbased squadbased char-management WW1 game with heavy RPG element thrown in, even if it's intentionally designed as RPG from the start. A big reason for you to buy a PS3.

No, it really, really isn't. You can get it on PC, and you can use Gedosato to put some really nice downscaling on it, and mods found on PCGamingWiki to get rid of the horrible blurry shite to make the game look really nice. You'd have to be a fucking idiot to get it on PS3.

FF6 is good because of the story more than anything. Definitely one of my fav's in the story department.

The ending to Illusion of Gaia is also quite touching in a surprising combination of epicness and personal-ness.

Chrono Trigger had a good story from a high-minded analysis. When I look at a lot of the details I see a disgustingly silly game.

FFT is shakespearean goodness

Xenogears is also supposed to be totally amazing story-wise, and from my brief intro to it I would bet it is actually amazing.

FF7 at it's core is a good story too, but everything built on that core is for people who would love Deathnote rather than Dostoyevsky.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
In no particular order
Demons Souls
Phantasy Star 2
Chrono Trigger
Xenogears
Dark Souls
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy Tactics
Front Mission 3
Shin Tensei Megami Nocturne
Persona 4
Extra pick Disgaea

zwanzig_zwoelf

I'm having a hard time understanding how Souls series and King's Field relate to JRPGs.
Can anyone elaborate?

Ash_Firelord

Educated
FF6 is good because of the story more than anything. Definitely one of my fav's in the story department.

FFT is shakespearean goodness

Xenogears is also supposed to be totally amazing story-wise, and from my brief intro to it I would bet it is actually amazing.

I finished FFT with the broken translation. Been thinking about giving it another go on the PS Vita buuuut memories or hours-long grind keep me away. Still, awesome plot, even through broken engrish.

Xenogears (and Xenosaga) are basically endless strings of pretty awesome WTF moments and epic religion-mech-philosophy anime goodness. Love or hate thing. I love it. (and yes, Xenogears 2nd CD has had so much content cut that it's almost a visual novel at that point).

Delbaeth

Learned
To me:
Shining Force III (the whole story with all scenarios and Shining of the Holy Ark)
Dragon Force series
Langrisser series
Uncharted Waters 2 (yeah more sim than RPG but still fun, especially with Ali)
Samurai Spirits Bushidou Retsuden (just because when you can perform characters' attacks with original Samurai Spirits moves, it's fun)
Söldnerschild (because Dragon Force meets KOEI)
Azel Panzer Dragoon
Lunar Eternal Blue (while awfully classic, the story is nice and the game was pretty impressive for a Sega CD one)
Dark Wizard
Alshark (somehow a 'japanese Starflight')
Tengai Makyou IV: the Apocalypse

And if I can add Spacesim-Strategy- 'RPGs' , the Schwarzchild and Gineiden series are good too.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Whenever I attempt to replay Xenogears I'm just 'fuck this' half way into the Bablyon Tower.

FFT, Tactics Ogre and March of the Black Queen I can play that shit at least once year.

Tripicus

Augur
Ones that have stuck in my mind from the past couple decades
Xenogears
Star Ocean: Second Story
Dragon Quest 7 (Still haven't finished it. PS broke before I could.)
SMT:Nocturne
Radiant Historia
Parasite Eve
Shining Force 2
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Ogre Battle
Chrono Trigger

Tripicus

Augur
So, Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Persona 3/4 are JRPGs? Didn't know about that.

I can at least understand the argument with the Souls series, but Persona 3/4? You seem to be the one with a much tighter definition of a JRPG, so perhaps you should start from there since you're the one trying to understand and all that.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But why DMC is not a JRPG, then?
Dunno. A flawed general perception, perhaps? There are many who consider a JRPG to be simply: "An RPG from Japan" instead of a game that plays similarly to the Wizardry and Ultima-inspired classics such as Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. Plenty of other reasons, some probably involving the age-old question "what is an RPG?". I don't think I'm eloquent enough to point them all out though.

I thought teenage date sims are not RPGs?
:hahyou:

Deflowerer

Arcane
I'm having a hard time understanding how Souls series and King's Field relate to JRPGs.
Can anyone elaborate?

Because stats? It's pretty obvious.

You gotta understand that when it comes to JRPG, you can't really speak of the genre trying to get closer to some ideal PnP experience. JRPGs were founded on early CRPGs, not pnp. So Wizardry is the quintessential RPG in Nippon terms.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I'm not a huge jRPG fag, but I have a few personal favorites, partly based upon nostalgia, but also based on titles that are slightly underrated or posses unique qualities. I can't recommend any new titles since I haven't played many in recent years.

Earthbound - quirky, funny, cute and most definitely one of the top RPG's for the SNES. If you haven't played it, I recommend it. There aren't many games like it.

Vagrant Story - more of a dungeon crawler really, but the story is really compelling with a very unique crafting and combat system. It has ties (loosely) to the Final Fantasy Tactics series - which is also worth playing - so it adds a little flavor to the lore. Probably one of my favorites by Square for the PS1.

Final Fantasy V - I bet you thought I would say 6?! I always liked 5 since I played it on the PS1. The job system was new to me at the time, the world was fairly open for exploration, and it had several location that were totally optional. I was hooked. X-Death was one of my favorite villains at the time.

Legend of Mana - There is a deep crafting system that isn't explained very well in this game. The art is unmatched on the PS1 only by Saga Frontier 2 - as far as originality goes - almost like a water color painting, that is still impressive to this day. It has real time combat that features 2 players. I never played Secret of Mana so I wasn't disappointed by the game like some were.

Super Mario RPG - One of those unique titles that will never happen again. Nothing mind shattering as far as story goes, but it is funny at times, with some adult themed jokes related to Princess Peach. Good stuff.

Persona 4 - didn't play much of it, but I know it is good. I plan on the playing the newer one (for the vita I think it was?) for sure.

Shining Force 2 - one of those classics that is worth playing to check off the old list. I plan on beating all of the classic "must play" jRPG's at some point before I die. It's my duty to catalog the decline and incline across the various sub-genres...for historical purposes of course. :obviously:

Dragon Quest 7 - I've wanted to play it for so long, but it has been out of my reach. I have never played any of the games in this series, but I have experienced the combat via Earthbound.

I don't think Chrono Trigger is all people make it out to be, but I missed it at the time it came out, so the nostalgia holds no sway over me. I just wish the story was a little better. Final Fantasy 6 is good but I think a bit overrated. 8 gets shit on but it is more compelling than 6. Some of the romance stuff was a bit gey but it was the first game I ever maxed levels on so it holds a special place in my heart. Final Fantasy 7 is a love/hate thing with me. I never was a fan of the story especially when they started messing with it after the fact. I never bothered with the Tales series since it looks too "anime" for me. The newer Final Fantasy games are trash to me. Final Fantasy 10 started the decline. Once graphics entered the modern age, away from sprites and into the anime heavy crap I dislike.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Basically any game with stats from Japan counts as jrpg then.

I'm going with the loose definition. C&C, conversation choices, NPC's to chat with - aren't a requirement. Tactics is a tactical RPG. Vagrant Story a action RPG. RPG lites if you will. JRPG's are pretty simplistic in the first place.

Last edited:

No Great Name

Arcane
I finished Xenogears a couple of weeks ago and I don't see how it can be in anyone's top JRPG list. The plot was OK, but it was dragged out too long (and that's not even mentioning the mess that is the 2nd disc) and introduced too many themes and issues without really exploring them.

The combat is also particularly awful and repetitive. Just about every single random encounter is dealt with in the same manner and many of the bosses, too (I particularly hate the bosses that have insta-death abilities). Exploring cities and towns could've been great if it weren't for the terrible camera angles you get much of the time. Most dungeons are also almost entirely linear and the ones that contain some platforming are annoying because running into a random encounter screws up any jump you're about to make.

There is too much filler, both in the plot and in the actual game itself. Many animations and cutscenes run too long and dialogue is too slow. I had my finger on the fast-forward button almost the entire game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom