Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tomb Raider 2013

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are you seriously complaining about a rape kneeballing sequence as the fault of feminists JarlFrank?

In a forum with a rape meme and hiver? (scratch that, it makes sense now)

This forum is increasingly pathetic as time goes on.

Machocruz

Arcane
Lara was and is par for the course for female character design in games. Making a flat chested, plain Jane was never on the table no matter who they were trying to appeal to.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The 3 minute trailer had the following happen in it:

I remember being called on White Knighting because I thought trailer was atrocious, and now look at that shit. Developers themselves acknowledge they want players to feel bad for beaten Lara.
Poor tastless fucking sadists.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lara was and is par for the course for female character design in games. Making a flat chested, plain Jane was never on the table no matter who they were trying to appeal to.
There are plenty of exceptions, but that's not what Tomb Raider is supposed to be about.

Just like James Bond can't be ugly, neither can Lara Croft.

GeorgeWood

Educated
Hitman: Absolution clearly exceeded my expectations, and t's actually one of my top video games this year. I fully trust that Eidos will deliver once again. Story has more focus this time, it seems, but that can only mean good things, because we will get interactve cinematic narrative, hopefully with excellent full motion videos. Why is Square Enix not doign their CGI magic on this game's cutscenes, like in Deus Ex: HR? Surely, they know that they earn some major green ones with that.
Why do you all are so enraged that you can't swim? Doing things like that only distracts from main cinematic narrative, and Eidos get's spme major points for respecting that. And items? It didn't made the game more difficult. I personally felt like a crazy bag lady lost in some artifact filled tombs in past games, where I collected some stuff that really didn't mattered to anything.

And graphics looks GORGEOUS. You almost feel like you're in the characters.

Hitman: Absolution will be my measuring stick of this upcoming masterpiece.

Deliver quality again, Eidos.

Machocruz

Arcane
There are plenty of exceptions, but that's not what Tomb Raider is supposed to be about.

Being ugly was probably never an option for the Lara character. How many console games have less than fit or buxom female characters?

Tomb Raider was supposed to be about archaeological adventure, --the character's appearance, besides looking athletic enough to do what they can do, had no influence in the plot or on the mechanics. She could have had been snaggletooth with an A cup for all it matters. But the default design of the average female character is C cup or larger and above average face.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I remember being called on White Knighting because I thought trailer was atrocious, and now look at that shit. Developers themselves acknowledge they want players to feel bad for beaten Lara.
Poor tastless fucking sadists.
I don't think it's what sadism is about.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The entire codex is whining about a rape scene without any of the mysoginist little tards realising they can screw up the QTE for some (however brief) Lara rape/wankery? :decline:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Well that is what everyone wants from a Tomb Raider game right?

Being ugly was probably never an option for the Lara character. How many console games have less than fit or buxom female characters?

Tomb Raider was supposed to be about archaeological adventure, --the character's appearance, besides looking athletic enough to do what they can do, had no influence in the plot or on the mechanics. She could have had been snaggletooth with an A cup for all it matters. But the default design of the average female character is C cup or larger and above average face.
Tomb Raider is about a fantasy trip. So yes, Lara being impossibly beautiful was part of that. It's about making a thematically sound complete product that includes visuals, story and gameplay.

Also, it would be impossible for Lara to do any of the things she does, so it's impossible to design as athletic enough to meet the gameplay.

Most video games are about doing athletic things, so I don't know about "less than fit", but some not terribly beautiful female characters in console games include Heather from SH3, any of the anthropomorphic characters (Crash Bandicoot's sister comes to mind), Rochelle from L4D2, Alyx is attractive but doesn't have a stacked chest, Jade from Beyond Good and Evil,...

Fat Princess :troll:

Machocruz

Arcane
Tomb Raider is about a fantasy trip. So yes, Lara being impossibly beautiful was part of that.

The game doesn't acknowledge her looks in any way that indicates it was all part of some jet setting fantasy package, unlike James Bond, whose looks are made relevant. I say even if they weren't going for fantasy, she would have looked the same.

It's about making a thematically sound complete product that includes visuals, story and gameplay.

Her looks don't inform the theme. I doubt they were thinking in terms of the whole. She's their own fanboy fantasy, designed apart from her function and the setting (besides some little hiking shorts and holsters).

Also, it would be impossible for Lara to do any of the things she does, so it's impossible to design as athletic enough to meet the gameplay.

They didn't even try. They could have used a professional female rock climber for reference. That would have been thematically and visually sound. Maybe they couldn't find one stacked enough. Still could have been attractive in the face with good muscle tone, which wouldn't have compromised the glamour fantasy aspect.

Most video games are about doing athletic things, so I don't know about "less than fit", but some not terribly beautiful female characters in console games include Heather from SH3, any of the anthropomorphic characters (Crash Bandicoot's sister comes to mind), Rochelle from L4D2, Alyx is attractive but doesn't have a stacked chest, Jade from Beyond Good and Evil,...

Fat Princess :troll:

Even side female characters who don't participate in the action will often be sexpots.

Crash Bandicoot has Tawna, and other major female characters are not homely (oh god can't believe I'm discussing furry attractiveness kill me)

Alyx just had to be attractive though. Developers know there would be complaints if they make the main female character ugly.

I was thinking of Rochelle. But any chance they were thinking of making her a little paunchy? Same with Heather

And you better take a look at Jade again...

I still believe that it doesn't matter what demographic they were trying to appeal to, Lara would have looked the same. She would have been made "hot" for the boys or the girls. It's typical for the industry, whether because the designers only want hot female characters, or they're afraid the audience would reject an average or unattractive female character (which happens with superhero comics), or because they can't envision something else. I can't read their mind on any of this, but it's par for the course for this man-child driven medium

But don't get the wrong idea, I'm not pining for more wildebeests in video games. I'll take them DoA titties every time.

tuluse

Arcane
The game doesn't acknowledge her looks in any way that indicates it was all part of some jet setting fantasy package, unlike James Bond, whose looks are made relevant. I say even if they weren't going for fantasy, she would have looked the same.

Her looks don't inform the theme. I doubt they were thinking in terms of the whole. She's their own fanboy fantasy, designed apart from her function and the setting (besides some little hiking shorts and holsters).

I can't read their mind on any of this, but it's par for the course for this man-child driven medium
That's what made Lara fun. It was a wink at the audience.

They took her tits and turned it up to 11. You like big boobs? We'll give you some big boobs.

Making her more realistic is pure decline.

Machocruz

Arcane
Making her more realistic is pure decline.

Yeah. I like realism, but being a cartoon character is the only distinction she had. They already toned it down in Legend and subsequent games. A completely unremarkable character without the comic book trappings.

They should have went the other way. Use current graphics technology to accentuate and enhance every lascivious detail. Not unique in this day and age, but have her reclaim the throne. Bayonetta is blatant about it, and a more interesting character than NuCroft. But this new...thing... is about srius grown up storytellng for mature gamerz.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Hitman: Absolution clearly exceeded my expectations, and t's actually one of my top video games this year. I fully trust that Eidos will deliver once again. Story has more focus this time, it seems, but that can only mean good things, because we will get interactve cinematic narrative, hopefully with excellent full motion videos. Why is Square Enix not doign their CGI magic on this game's cutscenes, like in Deus Ex: HR? Surely, they know that they earn some major green ones with that.
Why do you all are so enraged that you can't swim? Doing things like that only distracts from main cinematic narrative, and Eidos get's spme major points for respecting that. And items? It didn't made the game more difficult. I personally felt like a crazy bag lady lost in some artifact filled tombs in past games, where I collected some stuff that really didn't mattered to anything.

Hitman: Absolution will be my measuring stick of this upcoming masterpiece.

Deliver quality again, Eidos.

George Wood officially took over my (extremely undeserved) popamole king crown. Never ever will I need to be afraid of expresssing my interest in xyz game again because I always know I can lean back and point fingers at George Wood if the need arises.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The entire codex is whining about a rape scene without any of the mysoginist little tards realising they can screw up the QTE for some (however brief) Lara rape/wankery? without any rape in it.
Fixed. Seriously, I watched the video several times, and I don't see any rape. The guy tried to take an adventage on him, but Lara handled the situation. End of story. Whining about rape in this scene is the same as whining about GTA being a murder simulator which is needed to be banned.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I guess we live in the George Martin era where everything has to be dirty and dramatic, in contrast to just plain old big tits and guns and letting your imagination do the rest.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
in contrast to just plain old big tits and guns and letting your imagination do the rest.

You can't do that anymore because women have infiltrated the games industry and are struggling with their male cavemen.

Not that I have any sympathy for them. If a game lacks ingeniousness and thoughtfulness, or always comes down to banal boring storyfag shit, chances are lots of wimmin worked on it. (Ubisoft, Bioware, etc.)

This is why in one respect some of the best games and franchises are made by Japanese developers, because they still adhere to rigid and almost patriarchical working culture.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I guess we live in the George Martin era where everything has to be dirty and dramatic, in contrast to just plain old big tits and guns and letting your imagination do the rest.

This is very 80-tish perspective today teens like to masturbate to cuddle their waifus. Add the culture in which straight masculinity is heresy unless you're one of Andahaira X tribesmen and you will have the result where being emotionally engaged is pushed down your throat. New Lara game is not as blatant in this compared with ME series. From B class SF movie to Brazilian Telenovella.:declining:

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
in contrast to just plain old big tits and guns and letting your imagination do the rest.

You can't do that anymore because women have infiltrated the games industry and are struggling with their male cavemen.

Not that I have any sympathy for them. If a game lacks ingeniousness and thoughtfulness, or always comes down to banal boring storyfag shit, chances are lots of wimmin worked on it. (Ubisoft, Bioware, etc.)

This is why in one respect some of the best games and franchises are made by Japanese developers, because they still adhere to rigid and almost patriarchical working culture.

Erm, that's not even remotely what I was trying to convey. I don't mind games with good stories, and JRPG's are traditionally more heavy in storyfag than western RPGs, AND I'm sure there are/were some feminist complaints of Tomb Raider then and now. All I was trying to say is that with the rise of George Martinism in popular culture, we've also seen the rise of "Mature" themes like sex, rape, and drunken lusty kings more and more in gaming. Why make another bland babe with big tits and guns when they can dirty it up a little? Get in on that MATUR DRAHMA.

I liked Tomb Raider in the old days, the gameplay and the tomb delving and puzzle solving really gave off a deep atmosphere. Laura's buxomness and shallow personality was merely another element which added flavor in terms of using the imagination in both sexuality and the desire to keep her alive through the ordeal.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The point is not how she looked then and how she looks now, it's the shift in terms of her presentation from some tough template chick that you couldn't care less about to a whiny entitled modern day bitch.

Everything these days has to be personalized and dramatized.

Next: Dark Souls 2 main protagonist getting dialog options, daddy issues and second thoughts when slaying dragons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom