Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tomb Raider 2013

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Anniversary is worth a play through, some pretty challenging and fun parts. Steam/Amazon has had it on sale for $5 quite a few times. Nothing to add about this new one - looks awful.

So how many great or even decent series have we seen raped within the last few or so years? There should be an official list. X-Com, Fallout, Jagged Alliance, Civilization, Splinter Cell, Disciples and Diablo. Now Hitman and Tomb Raider. What's next then, Thief?
Rainbow Six, Syndicate...

Angthoron

Arcane
What other trailer for any movie or game has focused on the main character getting the shit beat out of them relentlessly, for 3 minutes, outside of trailers for Saw, Hostel, and all of that other sleezeball shit?

Not many, because most trailers focus on making the main character look the epitome of cool, which is equally silly. DONT YOU WANT TO BE THIS AWESOME? YOU WISH YOU WERE THIS AWESOME
Mysteriously, this "Look at how vulnerable I am under the hard shell" shit seems to happen only to female protagonists. See also: Other M.
Mysteriously, everyone seems to forget the spec ops guy being raped and murdered by an undead jailbait in FEAR 2 when talking about protagonist vulnerability.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
What other trailer for any movie or game has focused on the main character getting the shit beat out of them relentlessly, for 3 minutes, outside of trailers for Saw, Hostel, and all of that other sleezeball shit?

Not many, because most trailers focus on making the main character look the epitome of cool, which is equally silly. DONT YOU WANT TO BE THIS AWESOME? YOU WISH YOU WERE THIS AWESOME
Mysteriously, this "Look at how vulnerable I am under the hard shell" shit seems to happen only to female protagonists. See also: Other M.
Mysteriously, everyone seems to forget the spec ops guy being raped and murdered by an undead jailbait in FEAR 2 when talking about protagonist vulnerability.
I managed to avoid FEAR 2, but didn't that come out of nowhere right at the end? It's still not brought up as much as it should be, but it's a different issue. Other M Samus just spends the entire game crying about how she needs a big brave man to save her, with her power armour literally turning off at one point because she is a weak emotional female, and the Tomb Raper developers have explicitly stated that they want you to feel the same about Lara.

Deleted member 7219

Anniversary and Underworld were good games to end the franchise on (although Underworld ended on a cliffhanger - d'oh). They were loyal to the established lore and formula - Anniversary was a remake, not a reboot, and Underworld was a part of that new trilogy of games established by Crystal Dynamics. I think people are being unfair when they have a go at Crystal for this. I think it is fairly obvious that it was Square's influence that decided on this new direction. I can't remember any other recent game that has been marketed as heavily and as cynically as Tomb Raider (reboot) has. It should be that the direction of the game influences the marketing - but in this case, I think it is the marketing that has influenced the direction of the game. Tortured young heroine, abusive bad guys, a fucking bow... you know where all this is coming from. Square are trying to get a whole new audience while saying "fuck you!" to the established one. Just like Hitman, in fact.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh wow. Never thought I'd see the day where we consider Guardian of Light an "actual" Tomb Raider and some sort of last hurrah before the decline sets in. But I suppose it's great compared to this new bullshit with no swimming? WTF did they hire the entire Rockstar team for this game?

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I played Underworld last week and it was pretty good except for the weird object physics. I set blocks down on pressure plates and they would go under LAra's feet and shoot across the fucking moon. Sad that Tomb Raider felt they had to become Uncharted to do anything meaningful with the franchise.

Machocruz

Arcane
They saved themselves a bit of work not having to design underwater space. Cutscenes are spensive, gotta cut back where they can.

lol

I wonder if he mean there are no opportunities for swimming in this game, or that Lara will actually drown if she touches water (because swimming was deemed unnecessary even though the water bodies weren't)

is this a hint that there will be more than one new lara croft game?!

That's...certainly an optimistic way to see the situation.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
For those of who missed the memo, stop pretending that this is a worthy Tomb Raider game at all. This isn't about solving puzzles and exploring moody temples and vaults, this is about Lara Croft being an insecure little brat who grows into an angry tough bitch that saves her rich college friends from evil rapists men. This is just another submissive and pathetic attempt of trying to appeal to female gamers.

Being not able to swim is like the least worry you should have.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is just another submissive and pathetic attempt of trying to appeal to female gamers.

The funny thing about this is that there are lots of female gamers who like the old TR games.
Just check the LPs on youtube. And one of the most popular TR fansites is run by a woman. Also some of the best fan level designers are female.

But then again, this is not being marketed to female gamers. It's not being marketed to gamers at all. It's marketed to wymyn with fantasies of beating up rapists men cryptopatriarchial oppressors.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is just another submissive and pathetic attempt of trying to appeal to female gamers.

The funny thing about this is that there are lots of female gamers who like the old TR games.
Just check the LPs on youtube. And one of the most popular TR fansites is run by a woman. Also some of the best fan level designers are female.

But then again, this is not being marketed to female gamers. It's not being marketed to gamers at all. It's marketed to wymyn with fantasies of beating up rapists men cryptopatriarchial oppressors.
I think you're both off the mark.

It's just really shitty writing, probably by a bunch of people who don't even know each other, and if you asked them the target demographics they likely would have little idea.

Just pure incompetence plain and simple.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Clockwork Knight
Well, there's a huge difference between some elements of the visual design of the character being derp (incredibly short shorts and huge tits), and the whole concept of the character being derp, going so far as to greatly influence gameplay and story (BEAT UP THE RAPIST QTE YEAAAAAAHHHHH).

One thing can be ignored and isn't very intrusive. The other thing... well, have fun with DRAMATIC!!! QTE sequences.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I don't see how that's much worse than how old Lara "Bazongas" Croft was a shameless attempt to appeal to male gamers.
Because it was a wink at the audience. It was a celebration of the ridiculous. It was the female equivalent of playing GI Joe with his 22" biceps. It also appealed to women because who doesn't want to be beautiful adventurous ass kicker?

The current Lara is by comparison poorly conceived, pretentious, and makes a mockery of rape by incorporating it in a game that is ostensibly a light-hearted adventure.

One thing can be ignored and isn't very intrusive.

Eh, kinda hard to ignore how the character looks like a teen masturbation fantasy.
But yeah, I wasn't talking about gameplay changes, just the apparent change from "amazon with guns :bounce: " to "I am a fearless adventurer that killed a million enemies but also kind if frail and I'm still a bit sad about killing people :oops: ".

Because it was a wink at the audience. It was a celebration of the ridiculous. It was the female equivalent of playing GI Joe with his 22" biceps. It also appealed to women because who doesn't want to be beautiful adventurous ass kicker?

The current Lara is by comparison poorly conceived, pretentious, and makes a mockery of rape by incorporating it in a game that is ostensibly a light-hearted adventure.

Nah, she was supposed to give you a woody, even the ads played it up. I agree with the second point though, I was just talking about how we sometimes forget Lara was always trying to appeal to some public. It's the same with Samus (from Metroid), people are always whining that her newest characterizations depict her as someone who depends on a guy to help her out and not as the badass that wasn't trying to appeal to them boys...forgetting how the older games reward you for a good score with pics of her in a bikini. People don't mind the shameless pandering as long as they're the target public.

One kills video games and the other doesn't.

Check your privileges.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom