Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Todd Howard on Fallout 3

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Exitium said:
Please post some real responses instead of spamming the damn thread.

It was a joke, Loosar!

Real Response: Ehem. I agree with what you said for what you want in FO3. I think it's safe to say that bethsoft isn't going to be making the exact game we want, but they may just pick a couple things we like to use. That is better than nothing.

im ded fagit?

Seven

Erudite
Exitium said:
FOBOS didn't use SPECIAL, numbnuts.

No shit, what a revelation. :roll:

Though, one would come to wonder how the implementation of SPECIAL would work in a real time environment assuming that they decide to pursue this option

If you want to see how SPECIAL works in RT look to Lionheart or FOT.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Oh yeah? Tell that to VD, then, chucklehead.

As for Fallout 3, I just want something confirmed: It's an RPG, not a 'survival horror' game, right?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Exitium said:
Now, here's what I want to see in Fallout 3:
Role-playing options with multiple choices, multiple solutions and multiple outcomes.
Intensive dialogue
Turn based combat
Isometric viewpoint with a static camera. (Silent Storm is a big NO)
SPECIAL or something similar to it.

In that order.

It's going to be a console game as well. You should add 'EXTREME!!' to all those points.

Anyway, I can safely say this was another of those rare occasions where people here jumped at something without there actually being a reason. I think you people should try some decaf brands.

Briosafreak

Augur
It will be for several systems, i thought that was clear by now.

It`s better to jump a bit on conclusions now and get some answers before this spreads, so this newsbit is good to help on that.

My post was indeed edited, but merely because i asked for scans of the article, and that`s against the rules there, so no big drama.

plin

Liturgist
What a bunch of idiots. ANALYZE the news bit before you cunts go rabid like DAC or NMA people (fucking idiots).

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
plin said:
What a bunch of idiots. ANALYZE the news bit before you cunts go rabid like DAC or NMA people (fucking idiots).

OMG I WE FORGOT THERE WAS NO QUOTES AROUND DRUGS AND CHICKS LOL

you donkey face

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Next generation consoles are fine. I mean, who said consoles can't support turn-based combat or even isometric visuals? That's a ridiculous supposition and FFT disproves that belief (which has unarguably deeper turn based combat than Fallout, and I'm not talking about the usual Final Fantasy type of static TB combat, which sucks.)

I have this suggestion that the game should perhaps be in first person and real time until combat, then the camera pans out to an isometric/turn based mode.

That would be awesome. It'd a very good compromise between the 'first person immersiveness' of adventure, and the turnbased isometric combat we all want to see. In fact, I'd prefer it over flat out isometric visuals. Besides, it wasn't as if Fallout wasn't a real time game outside of combat. Was it? No. You know what game was? Paradise Cracked, and Paradise Cracked sucked.

Briosafreak

Augur
plin said:

What a looser you are, NMA still hasn`t talked about it yet, and Teatime at DAC is keeping the channels open for Beth to reply and will change his stance if he`s proven wrong. Fanboy bitches like you are the worse trash on gaming fora. Got raped by an uncle when you were young and need the attention right? Looser.

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Exitium said:
That's a ridiculous supposition and FFT disproves that belief (which has unarguably deeper turn based combat than Fallout, and I'm not talking about the usual Final Fantasy type of static TB combat, which sucks.)

Not saying that you are talking crap, but if FFT plays anything like Disgaea, then I'll be weeping for the future of turn-based games.

Seven

Erudite
plin said:

Weren't you the same little shit who was telling people to be optimistic about a TB isometric game from Beth?

BTW, the preview was done with a Beth dev, so where would the writer get the idea that it will retain it's
gritty drug-and-prostitute-speckled irreverence is still at the core
He's refering to FO3 here, where else would he get such an idea except from the person whom he conducted the interview with. No one's jumping to conclusions, it's a logical assumption.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
We have every right to be angry, there is no doubt my news posts at DAC are passionate and biased, and sometimes I regret not waiting 5 or 10 minutes before posting whilst I calm down, but oh well.... and to be hoenst, the news is not difficult to view in a negative way.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
FFT plays nothing like Disgaea, which makes me want to die. FFT plays like Fallout with many, many more actions available to you, use of terrain, area-attacks (like grenades in Fallout), class-based spells and abilities (archers can shoot someone in the eyes to blind him for example) but not as tactically complicated as Jagged Alliance 2. E.g. there's no 'hiding under cover', but rogues can stealth and steal things, or poison.

Skills are trained by using equipment which carry those skills. For example, a shortsword, when wielded by characters capable of wielding it will allow you to use an attack called 'Triple Slash', but only when it is wielded. If you use it long enough (for several battles) you will learn the 'Triple Slash' ability permanently so you can use other weapons with it. It's actually very neat.

Seven

Erudite
I have this suggestion that the game should perhaps be in first person and real time until combat, then the camera pans out to an isometric/turn based mode.

*YOU* have a suggestion, wasn't this Leonard's idea?!?!?!

EDIT: it's bad enough that they stole the license from under Troika, but now you're saying that they should steal their ideas too?

Spazmo

Erudite
I think the Great Buzzword Dicitonary has Fallout irrevocably linked with "WHORES N DRUGS!", so that whenever a dev says "we're trying to stay true to the original games" (which is probably what the BethSoft guy said), the magazine hears, well, "WHORES N DRUGS!"

kumquatq3

Liturgist
I'm going to see if the magazine is out tonight after I get out of sky captain, I'll get something scanned and posted if I get it.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's a good idea, but since someone 'came up with it', nobody can use it now, is that it?

Okay, so what the fuck do you want?

Let's see... you want a real time FPS / Survival Horror game, right, Seven?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
Rex has a lot of GREAT ideas, he's a renowned developer for one thing.

Okay, so it's a bad idea. Let's go with the FPS / Survival Horror Fallout 3. Everyone in favor say 'aye'.

So I see now it's not possible to come up with good suggestions anymore. It has to come out of the mouth of a developer otherwise it's trash, right? If so, we should all just shut the fuck up and stop whining about how Fallout 3 is made and let the developers do what they do best.

Make up your fucking minds, or shut the fuck up. Simple as that.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Yeah, I forgot it's either idea a or idea b we're choosing from. I don't make a habit of chosing between bad and worse - unless I have to. Simply put, if Fallout doesn't turn out good I won't play it. I don't see why I should be having to support a game unless it turns out in a way I want it too? Not saying that I won't stand any changes, but Rex, sometimes I just can't understand your ideas - at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom