Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Todd Howard Appreciation Thread

what do you think of Todd?

• i like him and i like bethesda

• he's a nice guy but i'm not getting scammed again

• i'd play bethesda games, don't care about todd tho

• i don't like him, i don't like bethesda games, and i only play turn-based games

• who is todd? (kc)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dr1f7

Scholar
interesting that todd thinks there's a design flaw if the player starts over with a new character (around 1:43:00)

tbh I agree with him although I know that's a controversial opinion around here, where nerds are used to d&d games that expect you to plan your character build from start to finish during character creation.

if tesvi had character building similar to Troubleshooter, or if character abilities were heavily tied to equipment like Terraria, I wouldn't mind
putting in roadblocks to prevent failure inadvertently limits customization/creativity like a 2-edge sword
really if you're new to an rpg you probably shouldn't be going in without reading the manual and picking random stuffs; get some guidance for your first character until you know what's going on then try out new things

soutaiseiriron

Educated
putting in roadblocks to prevent failure inadvertently limits customization/creativity like a 2-edge sword
I don't think it does and it's pretty easily worked around by implementing a respec.
Alternatively just do a starting area where you can get to feel out most game systems and then one chance to respec once you leave that area, like New Vegas does.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Todd Howard interview I haven't seen posted from a couple days back.

takeaways

Favourite game is Ultima VII
Best game of all time is Tetris
First game played is Space Invaders at an arcade
Most played game is NCAA football series
Favourite game narrative is Portal and Bioshock
Says a sequel to Skyrim should be made
Game he is currently playing is Starfield (heh)

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
abAzRqF.jpg
It seems Todd took some inspirations for Starfield from the Cyberpunk crew?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Expanding from a little over 100 employees to 500 was a mistake. That kind of rapid growth is going to cause all kinds of problems, always does.
Todd got swept away in an ocean of cultural change.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Todd Howard interview I haven't seen posted from a couple days back.

takeaways

Favourite game is Ultima VII
Best game of all time is Tetris
First game played is Space Invaders at an arcade
Most played game is NCAA football series
Favourite game narrative is Portal and Bioshock
Says a sequel to Skyrim should be made
Game he is currently playing is Starfield (heh)

A sequel to Skyrim?
:shredder:

Zeriel

Arcane
Jesus christ he's looking like a grandpa. Which I guess he is, basically, but damn, he aged fast recently.

ds

Cipher
Patron
Jesus christ he's looking like a grandpa. Which I guess he is, basically, but damn, he aged fast recently.
Maybe he pays for the money he makes with his life force.
You have to become a vampire to get to the infinite money glitch in (unpatched) Oblivion where you can repeatedly turn in the same quest. Perhaps this is also required IRL if you want to re-release the same game for over a decade. Has anyone seen Todd out in the sun lately?

BruceVC

Magister

Its a very informative video, I was going to post it

He explains nicely the stages of technology and how that has influenced what Bethesda can create. Interesting how Morrowind saved them after the sales failures of Redguard

Todd always comes across in such a genuinely sincere and honest way. I really like him and how he explains things

Dr1f7

Scholar
what with all these high profile game devs dressing like homeless people for presentations?

Dr1f7

Scholar
And hippy bead bracelet. The rest of the time he lives like Bill Gates.
mofo be eating gold laced caviar for breakfast and you expect me to believe his wardrobe is a walmart hoodie?

I have worked with people who have net worth in excess of a hundred million dollars and some of them absolutely did dress this way on a day to day basis.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
One of the perks of being fucking rich is you can dress how you want and everyone else can eat shit if they don't like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom