Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titanfall (Respawn shooter)

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's multiplatform, ergo the controls are likely going to be shit. Scratch that, it's by the CoD crew, it's going to be shit period. And then Bobby will sue them for using some parts of CoD IP/code.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
A hot chick and a mech.

My inner 14-year-old has RESPAWNed.

At least it's not 'Murica against Brown people.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
- Xbox One, PC
- Xbox 360 version developed by someone else
- Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn't run it
- Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them
- They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don't specify if it would this project or another.
- Plan to use Microsoft's Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations
- Spring 2014 Release Date
- To my eyes it looks visually very nice.
- First person shooter
- "Mech" and ground combat
- "Mech's" are called Titans.
- They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.
- If you don't want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.
- Player characters are called Pilots
- They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.
- They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the "brain".
- You need to be cunning as a pilot. "Hit and fade" tactics is the term the game director uses.
- Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.
- There are AI enemies on the maps.
- You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.
- Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.
- Source gives them 60 fps
- Rewrote aspects of it for next gen
- Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.
- Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.
- Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.
- Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.
- Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/11/titanfall-will-have-dedicated-servers/

"We're using Microsoft's cloud compute initiative to run all our servers for it, so it's all running on dedicated servers," Owens said. "We'll spin up and spin down servers as necessary, and it'll do all the AI hosting and physics calculations and all matchmaking and all of that good stuff. It's all dedicated servers, all the time."

Titanfall looks like it will use the XBO cloud for the PC version as well, which -- if you read between the lines -- likely means that it will require the Windows 8 appstore. MS possibly going for the double exclusive.

Certainly looks to be their cloud gaming showcase. One wonder what the Kinect 2.0 showcase will be.

Bruticis

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/11/titanfall-will-have-dedicated-servers/

"We're using Microsoft's cloud compute initiative to run all our servers for it, so it's all running on dedicated servers," Owens said. "We'll spin up and spin down servers as necessary, and it'll do all the AI hosting and physics calculations and all matchmaking and all of that good stuff. It's all dedicated servers, all the time."

Titanfall looks like it will use the XBO cloud for the PC version as well, which -- if you read between the lines -- likely means that it will require the Windows 8 appstore. MS possibly going for the double exclusive.
They figured out how to save Windows 8, call in the bro crew and give them this masterpiece. It worked great with Halo 2 and Vista..........

BBMorti

Arcane
Looks like they changed their minds and now it will be an Xbox One exclusive, which was also just confirmed on E3 press conference. A big disappointment as I was really looking forward to a PC release.
notSureIfsrs.jpeg

Angthoron

Arcane
Because shooting from the hip is realistic. :roll:

Not like I care for the realism. Iron sights mean that the game isn't a fucking bunny-hop and twitch shooter. Great justice!
Oh, like CoD and BF and CS before they nerfed the bunnyhopping in CS, riiiiiiiiiiight.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

Not like I care for the realism. Iron sights mean that the game isn't a fucking bunny-hop and twitch shooter. Great justice!
Oh, like CoD and BF and CS before they nerfed the bunnyhopping in CS, riiiiiiiiiiight.
Nerfed the bunny hopping from Quake 3.

Angthoron

Arcane

Nerfed the bunny hopping from Quake 3.
People still try to bunnyhop as much as possible in these games anyway. Obviously that's harder to do when each jump has a "feedback" period when you can't jump again, and the jumps are overall lower/worse to control, but nevertheless, it's very much present. It's a game style that fits console gaming, anyway.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
They gave Call of Battlefield a gimmick and an embarrassingly hammy name to accompany it. "Prepare for titanfall," says the voiceover as it describes the titular gimmick... gag me. :lol:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

What a retarded argument. How come I still can run and shoot at the same time in my "dudebro" shooters? How come I frequently get shot by people who are non stationary? It's also retarded to assume that each engagement with the enemy is a 1 vs. 1 fight. I also would like someone to explain how retarded it would look if you would have a relatively "authentic" game with modern military and people would be jumping/running/shooting like in those Quake games

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Online FPS gaming is full of people who have mastered a particular mechanic and trying to argue that their way of playing is the epitome of skill while everything else is for noobs.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Looks like boring shit, as I mentioned in the E3 topic Iron Sights make no sense in a futuristic setting, in addition to them being simply shitty for multiplayer. That and the weapon selection looks bland as fuck, it's the future with giant mechas and epic space ship battles lightyears away from earth, here take this selections of standard gun shooting plain old bullets the ones you ancestors centuries ago were using. Oh but we have mechas now! Fuck your mecha gimmick, better and more vehicles were present in multiplayer FPS that are probably older than half of the COD playerbase.

Fuck this popamole piece of shit and anyone who thinks it looks good.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Looks like boring shit, as I mentioned in the E3 topic Iron Sights make no sense in a futuristic setting, in addition to them being simply shitty for multiplayer. That and the weapon selection looks bland as fuck, it's the future with giant mechas and epic space ship battles lightyears away from earth, here take this selections of standard gun shooting plain old bullets the ones you ancestors centuries ago were using. Oh but we have mechas now! Fuck your mecha gimmick, better and more vehicles were present in multiplayer FPS that are probably older than half of the COD playerbase.

Fuck this popamole piece of shit and anyone who thinks it looks good.

You're looking at the game in the wrong way.

This is an upgrade to COD from the COD makers. You can't seriously expect a truly competitive skill-based hardcore FPS from them: Remember, these guys introduced "Death Streaks" in COD6 (which gives you a boost if you repeatedly get killed). These guys are all about noob friendness.

On the other hand, it IS pretty cool to live the Patlabor/District 9 wet dream in a game that requires minimum skills.

And I'm happy to see that between this and BF4, the mediocre-looking COD: Ghosts will probably die an embarassing death.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I also would like someone to explain how retarded it would look if you would have a relatively "authentic" game with modern military and people would be jumping/running/shooting like in those Quake games

Ask DICE and Activision

And I'm happy to see that between this and BF4, the mediocre-looking COD: Ghosts will probably die an embarassing death.

Same song is heard for many years now before every COD's release. And each time CoD sells more and more millions of copies. After all Battlefield is just another Call of Duty clone except with tanks - and clones very rarely win. And Titan fail is xbawks exclusive so -60% sales.

Astrozombie said:

Somehow lack of ironsights doesn't stop CS from being Example No. 2 with retards camping exactly the same corners every time waiting for the attacker to run into their crosshairs.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Same song is heard for many years now before every COD's release. And each time CoD sells more and more millions of copies. After all Battlefield is just another Call of Duty clone except with tanks - and clones very rarely win. And Titan fail is xbawks exclusive so -60% sales.

Not really. BF3 has made a serious dent in COD's market. The growth rate of COD sales has slown down. It will plateau eventually.

And I don't think the target buyers (whose opinions determine the sales) of brown military shooters consider Battlefield to be "just another clone" of COD. Medal of Honor Warfighter is considered a clone but Battlefield is different "enough" to not be considered a clone.

In the end, Titanfall and BF4 probably can't take COD individually, but combined, I think they will threaten the sales number of COD enough to get Activision worried.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Not really. BF3 has made a serious dent in COD's market. The growth rate of COD sales has slown down. It will plateau eventually.

Are you kidding? Check CoD sales. They grow every year. MW3 did 15 mln units. BO2 did 17 mln units. Ghosts will probably break $1 bln revenue mark. What dent?

And I don't think the target buyers (whose opinions determine the sales) of brown military shooters consider Battlefield to be "just another clone" of COD.
Except it is what it is.
Retarded unlocks, +100500 XP flying at you for breathing air, health regen TAKE COVER and of course tons of CoD-like maps.
The only difference is that therer are maps that have tanks on them.

In the end, Titanfall and BF4 probably can't take COD individually, but combined, I think they will threaten the sales number of COD enough to get Activision worried.
Titanfall is not competitive already.
Nobody wants a generic "sci"-fiction shooter with uninspired gun and mecha design these days. It's the reason why nobody plays Blacklight Retribution or Hawken.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom