Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This is how badly optimized TF2 has become.

racofer

Thread Incliner
http://www.reddit.com/comments/epkr5/this_is_how_badly_optimized_tf2_has_become/

• The new resupply closet (seen in Medieval mode) has a total of 31031 polygons. This is roughly equivalent to 3 payload carts, 9 regular resupply closets or the entire central machine on Nucleus. This closet has no level of detail models, which means it does not render less polygons at a distance. This is true of almost all the new weapons in the game, meaning that a soldier will be rendered with less polygons at a distance than his Direct Hit. Lowering your model settings will do nothing to help this, as there are no lesser-detailed versions of the new models they will always render at the highest detail.

Looking away from the new supply cabinet, at 125fps: http://imgur.com/MAaIV.jpg

Looking at the new supply cabinet, it drops to 72fps: http://imgur.com/4vloW.jpg

Two links with more interesting info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1281220/levelofdetail/index.htm http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1281220/levelofdetail/page2.htm

If you see a sniper across the 2fort battlements, his sidney sleeper weapon model alone is accounting for 86.7% of that players polygons. In the unlock distance image, the 18 character models together are 30752 polygons. While a Ambassador + Huntsman alone is 32006 polygons.

The Direct Hit has over 19,000 polygons. These are all rendered no matter what distance you are from the soldier carrying it. By contrast, a rocket launcher at long distance only renders 840 polygons.

This info and screenshots were taken from this thread on tf2maps.net

What a joke Valve has become. Do they hire monkey or mexicans to code that shitty game of theirs?

:salute: :M

racofer

Thread Incliner
What the hell? There's nothing showing on my above post.

Edit: shitty forum won't accept its own bb code.

Look at these comparisons:

35hpdte.png

12193xu.png

Destroid

Arcane
Nice, an invisible badge rendered at nearly 1000 polys. Wouldn't this totally fuck the game on xbox?

Multi-headed Cow

Destroid said:
Nice, an invisible badge rendered at nearly 1000 polys. Wouldn't this totally fuck the game on xbox?
Racofer clearly hates PC gaming for its freedoms. :obviously:

SoupNazi

It seems it's the community items that are so badly optimized. Then again even on my ancient GTX260, TF2 is still the only game that never lags for me at all and even goes as far as to avoid my occasional system freeze-up that happens in every other game, no matter how long I play it. So they must be doing SOMETHING right.

Norfleet

racofer said:
Looking away from the new supply cabinet, at 125fps: http://imgur.com/MAaIV.jpg

Looking at the new supply cabinet, it drops to 72fps: http://imgur.com/4vloW.jpg
Which is all fine and good that they've done such a terrible job, but let's not forget that it's running at *72* FPS. A typical monitor refreshes at 60 fps. The human eye is capable of discerning only about 30 of those. Any attempt to render higher than 30 fps is a purely masturbatory exercise, as YOU CANNOT SEE THIS. It is perhaps understandable that this is not presently regarded as a priority.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
SoupNazi said:
It seems it's the community items that are so badly optimized.

Actually it's every weapon, hat and misc item added to the game since the WAR! update in late 2009.

Considering how the number of items in those three categories has EXPLODED since then, I can't but :retarded: a bit at how long it took Valve to both realize the problem and then getting about fixing it.

So them fixing the problem of MAKING THE GAME FUN TO PLAY AGAIN will be addressed in 2013.

Black

Arcane
Norfleet said:
Which is all fine and good that they've done such a terrible job, but let's not forget that it's running at *72* FPS. A typical monitor refreshes at 60 fps. The human eye is capable of discerning only about 30 of those. Any attempt to render higher than 30 fps is a purely masturbatory exercise, as YOU CANNOT SEE THIS. It is perhaps understandable that this is not presently regarded as a priority.

Fuck you for spreading that bullshit. There's a huge difference between 30 and 100 framer per second.

http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html

desocupado

Magister
Black said:
Norfleet said:

Fuck you for spreading that bullshit. There's a huge difference between 30 and 100 framer per second.

I don't know about 100, but I sure as fuck can tell a big difference between 30 and 60.

A game on 30 fps for me is unplayable. I usually start to notice choppyness around 50. And that was measured with FRAPS, not taken out of my ass.

Mystary!

Arcane
Funny thing, my mom bought this big ass tv with 100hz refresh rate, now every program looks like days of our life, it's horrible.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Norfleet said:
The human eye is capable of discerning only about 30 of those. Any attempt to render higher than 30 fps is a purely masturbatory exercise, as YOU CANNOT SEE THIS. It is perhaps understandable that this is not presently regarded as a priority.

Die.

SoupNazi said:
It seems it's the community items that are so badly optimized. Then again even on my ancient GTX260, TF2 is still the only game that never lags for me at all and even goes as far as to avoid my occasional system freeze-up that happens in every other game, no matter how long I play it. So they must be doing SOMETHING right.

Yes this is also surprising. My GTS250 never lags on this game as well, constant 60fps with v-sync on.

Actually the same can be said about any source engine game. They all work perfectly fine and look better than most of today's engines where everything is wrapped in plastic.

Still, that's very shoddy programing on Valve's part. It's reported these things have been patched by now though, but something so retarded should have never happened.

Johannes

Arcane
fyezall said:
Funny thing, my mom bought this big ass tv with 100hz refresh rate, now every program looks like days of our life, it's horrible.
It's a bit different for TV, when you have proper motion blur you don't need as much fps as in games for extra smoothness, and don't have to think about mouse/controller responsivity.

grdja

Augur
HL2 run smoothly in widescreen resolutions on a GeForce 6800. Having pride in freaking GTS250 running it smoothly kind of misses the point.

Awesome to see proof that large developers dont optimize thier games to such a extent. Oh well, its likely part of "TWIMTB" deals, NVidia has to find someone willing to buy GTX 590

chzr

Scholar
Norfleet said:

what's wrong with your eyes bro

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
He's right. There's fuck all difference even between 30 and 60. And thats with as blatant a display as possible. You'd never discern the fps difference between two different games, or even the same game doing different things. Even if you've got better eyes than me (Or your brain is shittier at filling the blanks), more than 30 is still fucking meaningless mechanically. Human reaction time is about 1/10th of a second at best anyways. You're not going to be fucked over because you noticed something 30 milliseconds later due to a lack of fps.

Same kind of poser that thinks they can taste the difference in purity of bottled water.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
racofer said:
Do they hire monkey or mexicans to code that shitty game of theirs?

:salute: :M

It's called the C team, everyone else at valve is working on steam, HL3 and portal 2.

fyezall said:

It's not the refresh rate, it's the interpolation...motion plus or some shite like that if it's a sammy tv.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
SoupNazi said:
That's because it used to run decently on GeForce 5XXX, your "ancient" card is five generations above it. It works on an old iteration of Source engine that was well coded - games like Half-Life 2 don't look that bad in comparison to the newest console ports that for some reason won't work without 10 times more powerful video card. Still, it doesn't mean they should implement new features without caring about optimisation.

Norfleet

desocupado said:

I looked. Nada. The 15 is clear, a bit a jerkier, but not intolerably so. The 30 and 60 are indistinguishable. You can easily calculate what your personal frames-per-second is, though, using the spinning wheel test. Spin a wheel at increasing rpm, and watch it first spin faster, then backspin, then stop spinning at all. The point at which it stops spinning is where your frame rate is. For me, this occurs around 1800 rpm, which is corresponds to the 30 fps figure. It's obvious why this occurs: When the wheel completes a revolution in a single frame, any point on the wheel will appear not to have moved between frames.

Seriously over 30k polys for that box? Thats just insane. Just because I was curious I modeled a similar looking cabinet which was fairly well detailed with such things as geometry for every little rivet rather than just normal mapping, edned up at a bit over 3k polys thus roughly 10%. Is there something I'm not seeing here? Can you open it to see it actually contain items with in or something? Because other wise 31k is just absurd.

Multi-headed Cow

Haven't played TF2 since medieval mode was added, but the normal supply cabinet opens up when you bump into it and has stuff inside so I'd assume that one does as well.

Project: Eternity
Norfleet said:
The 30 and 60 are indistinguishable.
I'm not certain how you got that impression. I could tell the difference with my glasses off, and it was basically an indistinct blue blob at even a foot and a half away, given my vision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom