Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This is Baldur's Gate - Let's Play

DraQ

Arcane
Keldorn said:
And I, Keldorn, shall not resort to vilification and apoplexy in DEFENSE of my exaltational mitochondrion, ever again.
Wait, what? :shock:

My centrioli are sprouting microtubules like mad to help my brain contain the sheer amount of bepuzzlement caused by your misuse of terminology normalyl pertaining to the sub-cellular entities.

Now, lay down this celular biology handbook. This is NOT your beloved thesaurus.

Lumpy

Arcane
Chapter the Second: The Journey to the Friendly Arms Inn
23.jpg

Just as I wake up, my childhood friend, Imoen, shows herself. It seems she knew something about Gorion, and she followed us. I gladly welcome her as another meatshield for the party.
24.jpg

Not long after I meet a generic fat guy who gives me directions to the Friendly Arms Inn, where I am supposed to meet some friends.
ScreenCaptureProfessional1330.jpg

Even though I try to use my bardic charms, he offers me no further help. He does warn me, however, about two seedy characters he met not long ago.

I soon run into them. No wonder that guy found them unsettling - the human is apparently trying to pull his face apart, black runes around his eyes. Disgusted as I may be, I proceed to talk to them.
ScreenCaptureProfessional1336.jpg

As I talk to them, I nearly vomit due to their scoundrelry. One of the worms offers me a healing potions, and the dog asks for nothing in return.
ScreenCaptureProfessional1337.jpg

Then the wretched creature offers me a lucrative opportunity to investigate some problems which are tearing the sword coast apart. He agrees to follow me wherever I take him before I feel like helping him. Because I need help, I agree to let the two 'things' join me.

Behold my wonderful party:
ScreenCaptureProfessional1339.jpg

ScreenCaptureProfessional1338.jpg

ScreenCaptureProfessional1341.jpg

Is it just me, or does Imoen look more late-20-ish than 16ish?

After killing a Gibberling, I go and mourn over Gorion's lifeless body for a moment, then loot the corpses.
ScreenCaptureProfessional1343.jpg

The most interesting find is a letter:
ScreenCaptureProfessional1345.jpg

ScreenCaptureProfessional1346.jpg

ScreenCaptureProfessional1347.jpg

E? Oh, right, it's that Elminster guy everyone's talking about. Why doesn't he use his full name anyway?

On my way to the Friendly Arms Inn, I meet that wizard guy who wrote that letter.
ScreenCaptureProfessional1350.jpg

I can't remember his name, and after pondering some names rhyming with parts of the male anatomy, I resolve to just call him "you". Annoyed, he quickly takes his leave, before I remember his name.

I kill another wretched beast with 4 consonants and just one vowel in its name - the Xvart.
ScreenCaptureProfessional1351.jpg

Then I reach the gates of the Friendly Arms Inn.
ScreenCaptureProfessional1352.jpg

ScreenCaptureProfessional1354.jpg

Holy fuck, they have a huge castle and the best use they can think for it is an Inn? No matter - we decide to go inside as soon as possible.

But on the stairs...
ScreenCaptureProfessional1356.jpg

"No, honestly, I'm not Kanyel. I mean... boobies, for fuck's sake." Since the guy is completly unfamiliar with any kind of anatomy, he attacks Imoen. We bravely jump to the rescue.

He kills all my companions, but I finish him off. I mean, the guards did. It must be those lousy evil bastards' fault - Xzar and Montaron gave their lives for us.
Picture62.jpg

Ah, screw them, I'll only resurrect Imoen.
Picture63.jpg

After the priest defies the laws of the universe in exchange for 100 gp, me and Imoen go to the Inn, hoping not to meet any more assassins. On the way, I realize that I should've brought Gorion here to resurrect him as well. But screw him, I'm not going all the way back there to get his body. Let him rot.

Inside, I meet Jaheira and Khalid, with whom I have a very bizarre "dialogue".
ScreenCaptureProfessional1359.jpg

ScreenCaptureProfessional1360.jpg

Then they join me and we all go to bed.
ScreenCaptureProfessional1361.jpg

To be continued...

afewhours

Scholar
You have to go east from the Friendly Arm Inn and get Vicky. I like Vicky.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Lestat said:
"No, honestly, I'm not Kanyel. I mean... boobies, for fuck's sake."
I guess that's why the protagonist is the only one who can do the talking in more recent BioWare/Obsidian games.

That really was shit in the earlier games.

This thread is reminding me of how bad BG's storytelling is. Other than that, good stuff.

Is it let's play or let's mock? Open question.

Lumpy

Arcane
Gnidrologist said:
Couldn't Kanyel be a female's name? It sounds quite gayish (as most names in d&d).
Probably, but I suppose that assassin had been given some sort of description, and said description most likely started with the target's gender.

sabishii

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
Gnidrologist said:
Couldn't Kanyel be a female's name? It sounds quite gayish (as most names in d&d).
Probably, but I suppose that assassin had been given some sort of description, and said description most likely started with the target's gender.
"I think he's a guy. But he's kinda hot... So maybe he's a she? I mean I can't be gay. Can I? Fuck."

Keldorn

Scholar
DraQ said:
Keldorn said:
And I, Keldorn, shall not resort to vilification and apoplexy in DEFENSE of my exaltational mitochondrion, ever again.
Wait, what? :shock:

My centrioli are sprouting microtubules like mad to help my brain contain the sheer amount of bepuzzlement caused by your misuse of terminology normalyl pertaining to the sub-cellular entities.

Now, lay down this celular biology handbook. This is NOT your beloved thesaurus.

Now now, you myopic and mechanical bird-brain, my magnificent and meandering use of mitochondrion was mightily metaphorical.

Your rote science parade, however, was strictly academic and linear.

Section8

Cipher

Xvart: HAY GUYZ WE ARNT EVIL!!!111!!
Lumpy: ...but it says so on your character sheet, look.
Xvart: tl;dr... my god, do I really look like that? What the hell is up with my face?

Yeah, how did she go from looking like a cute eastern european twenty something to being ugly-as-sin grumpy twelve year old in BG2?

Picture63.jpg

So let me get this straight. It costs 100gp to raise someone from the fucking dead, and 150gp to slow poison? I mean, not even cure poison - slow poison. What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Relayer71

Liturgist
Section8 said:

Xvart: tl;dr... my god, do I really look like that? What the hell is up with my face?

Yeah, how did she go from looking like a cute eastern european twenty something to being ugly-as-sin grumpy twelve year old in BG2?

Picture63.jpg

So let me get this straight. It costs 100gp to raise someone from the fucking dead, and 150gp to slow poison? I mean, not even cure poison - slow poison. What the fuck is wrong with these people?

The cures are from a pharmaceutical firm, hence the outrageous prices.
The resurrection comes from the Church for a small donation.

DraQ

Arcane
Section8 said:
It always gave me lulz as well, though it's typical for games with clear-cut, sharp and absolutist distinction between good and ebil to be lulz-inducing.

Torment at least had the decency to sweep the whole alignment mechanics under the carpet most of the time, even though alignment system constitutes the base of Planescape multiverse.

That's why I prefer mechanics where resurrection is practically impossible. Death would have little meaning in the world where so many people are capable of benefitting from resurrection service provided by various temples.

Keldorn said:
my magnificent and meandering use of mitochondrion was mightily metaphorical.
Meandering it was. You seem to have tripped over your own train of thought quite a few times.

TrustNo1

Scholar
It`s 100 gold per lvl of the character. Doesn`t work if the character is gibbed on death. The whole thing makes you wonder why Minsc scream of pathos if Dynaheir dies, when he knows we have the funds to ressurect her 16 times over.

Death is a horrible thing on the Sword Coast, you often have to play inventory juggling to get with you all the dead characters stuff back to the nearest temple.

Relien

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Is it just me, or does Imoen look more late-20-ish than 16ish?
16?!
All models in this game are 18 years or older.

I'm looking forward to see how much life you can put in those wilderness areas that you're supposed to just clean RTS style.

God I hate Baldurs Gate. And I've had such high expectations...

Section8

Cipher
I'm looking forward to see how much life you can put in those wilderness areas that you're supposed to just clean RTS style.

I ended up paying the kid next door a couple of bucks per zone to mow the fog of war for me.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Cthulhugoat said:
Brother None said:
Is it let's play or let's mock? Open question.

No such difference. "Serious" LPs are pretty rare.
No, they're "not".

Keep up the good work, Lumpy, but please get some more color commentary going. This game is really boring on its own.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Lumpy said:

Geez, the guy doesn't give you an edge in wordwise.

Lumpy said:

"There are people out to kill you but please, run, don't walk, to the nearest stranger you see on the road for help."

This game could do with some mockery.

Keldorn

Scholar
"No such difference. "Serious" LPs are pretty rare."

Serious LP's ? All or most LP's are ultimately mocked by the graphic whores or the stodgy old schoolers. Rarely, if ever, does one provide a "serious" LP of the objectively unmockable CRPGs (PS:T, FO1&2, Arcanum, Darklands). If one did, they'd be mocked by those who merely want to anarchize the righteous display and descend it into utter blasphemy and envy ! Hatred of the good for being the good !

BG1&2 are mocked even MORE than the aforementioned RPG's, because they are viewed as establishment icons, and representative of generic, over-the-top excercises in high-fantasy massivity.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Section8 said:

Lumpy: ..you are trying to rip out your own lower jaw while tearing a chunk of hair from your own head in process. Besides that, nothing really.
Xvart: ...oh..uh. EXCELLENT!!!

Keldorn

Scholar
XZAR must get his constitution UP, or he'll be forever WIMPotent !

Lumpy

Arcane
DraQ said:
That's why I prefer mechanics where resurrection is practically impossible. Death would have little meaning in the world where so many people are capable of benefitting from resurrection service provided by various temples.
I prefer the NWN2 system. It's much better because the characters never 'die', they just fall unconscious, and you supposedly nurse them back to health. Thus, it doesn't create problems like:
"Kaelyn: I'll help you, but don't risk the lives of my siblings.
PC: But don't you have that free once per day rezz anyway?"

Alternatively, have some prohibitive costs for resurrection. I think normal D&D requires 5000 gold in diamonds (at least in Order of the Stick it does), and rich important figures actually do get resurrected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom