Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This is Baldur's Gate - Let's Play

afewhours

Scholar
Andhaira said:
btw monty sucked. Shitty stats Imo and he was a halfling. i hate 'em.

Noooo! How dare you insult the master race! My halfling Pally is my pride and joy!

Monty's stats were fine - at a bare minimum, a thief in BG just needs to cover Open Locks and Find Traps. Add a bit of Fighter into the mix, decent DEX and CON, and you've got a great ranged fighter who covers your thief requirements. Okay, Monty's not Coran, but who is?

Andhaira said:
A cutscene in which Xzar KILLS Imoen!!

Noooo! I was with you right up until this. Immy stayed by my side through 2 games and 2 expansions. You can't kill her! :sob:

(My pathetic blubbering aside, that's dramatis in extremis. Good show. And those Final Fantasy fanboys thought 'Aeris dies' was so awesome. Meh.)

Andhaira

Arcane
Yeah, and htink about the replayability. All of that ONLY happens if you have Xzar in your party since the very beginning, and never let him go willingly.

Ah and the stuff about monty is all IMO ofcourse. :D

Lastly about Edwin, I have no idea why they changed him so drastically in bg2. See, the reason he got a tone of spellslots was balanced by the fact that he could not cast evocations.

In bg2 they made him utterly imbalanced for some stupid reason. I like edwin, fun character, but see my PC was a pure necromancer, and it pissed me off to have him overshadowed by Edwin!

Relayer71

Liturgist
Elwro said:
Baldr000.jpg

OMG! Dewey Cox!

fastpunk

Arbiter
Andhaira said:
In bg2 they made him utterly imbalanced for some stupid reason. I like edwin, fun character, but see my PC was a pure necromancer, and it pissed me off to have him overshadowed by Edwin!

He was a pure necromancer you say? Why am I not surprised? :P

Andhaira

Arcane
lol yah! Though I was a mage/cleric in bg1 for some stupid reason.If I ever replay bg1 i will play a fighter mage, or a pure evokAh!!

Texas Red

Whiner
Is anyone else bothered that there is really no reason NOT to go mutliclass? The game almost requires you to powergame. You will be underpowered since many companions are also multi. It especially annoyed me that, though she was lower level than my druid, Jaheira got her epic druid feats before me with her fighter levels. Don't know if its a bug or not but its just wrong.

Oh, I will use this opportunity to thank Bioware for making my favorite class, the druid, completely worthless. In BG 1 clerics had 5 level 5 spells, druids had only 2 which were included in the clerics spell list :?. They sure fixed it with BG 2 by giving clerics ridiculous number of overpowered spells while throwing far less, and weaker, spells for druids. What the hell...? Obsidian would contninue Bioware's legacy by adding exactly 0 new spells for NWN 2 if it wouldn't be for the fan outcry after which they included more spells in the patch.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Druids aren't worthless in BG series. Don't be dumb. Jaheria is proof of this. One of the must useful characters in the game.

afewhours

Scholar
Volourn said:
Druids aren't worthless in BG series. Don't be dumb. Jaheria is proof of this. One of the must useful characters in the game.

She makes a useful tank/healer, especially after ToSC when you can give her the staff/mace +2. But she's mainly redundant for one reason: Yeslick. He's a Fighter/Cleric instead of a Fighter/Druid which means he gets access to more and better weapons; a better spell selection; and to top it all off, his WIS is higher than Jaheria's. The rest of their stats are pretty identical.

Still, Jaheira was handier than people gave her credit for. She would have been ideal for my usual party setup if it weren't for Yeslick.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I found Yeslick a dissapointment then again, I have super high standards for dwarves. It's funny and sad that my fvaorite dwarves in the BG games were evil. L0L

IIRC, Yeslick's strength was rather low (for a dwraf fighter/cleric that is) making it harder for him to carry equipment like full plate (barring magic items, of course).

Then again, my first character was a dwarf fighter/cleirc so yeslick likely felt mor elike excess baggage. I did play with him a bit though until he got super slaughtered ( didn't reload when characters got mass murdered). his personality was rather bland, and boring comapred to Jaheria who, while she came off as kind of a harpy, was at least interesting even in BG1.

DraQ

Arcane
LittleJoe said:
How do you pronounce words like SZCZESCIE or WSZYSTKIM, for fucks sake?
That is one seriously fucked up language.
Your inferior mind simply can't grasp our wonderful language.

Your inferior sense of hearing can't capture it's sounds and your clumsy tongue fails at replicating them.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
The Russkies were smart enough to hire a bloke called Cyril to make them an alphabet that suited their tortuous tongue, whereas you Polaks tried to shoehorn latin script to fit your garrulous gobbledegook!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Actually, Polish looks disgusting to the uninitiated, written, but when you learn to pronounce it it's actually a very pleasant language to listen to. You have to realize that a lot of the consonant clusters just stand for a single sound. It looks very... clumsy, but we got that in German too; it adds to the charm when you're an appreciator of the spoken and written word like me.

Edit: chilling.

Andhaira

Arcane
Jaheira was a great character. Cernd however, was probably the best druid in the entire saga; unless the pc hijmself was a druid.

Shifters were increadibly powerful. spellfling with the best of 'em; melee with the best of 'em and get ridiculous regen on top of that.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Andhaira said:
Yes, remember that xzar and monty meet you rite outside candlekeep. They are the first npc's you meet after Imoen.

Imagine if Xzar was also a Bhaalspawn, one who reveals himself at the very end of Bg2/Throne of Bhaal.

imagine, you have Xzar in your party since bg1, you have killed off all opponents, you've killed Irenicus, sarevok, the other spawn frmo ther expansion, and now its only you and imoen with your partymembers.

The player gets ready for the endgame/credits to roll when suddenly...

A cutscene in which Xzar KILLS Imoen!! Revels he is also a Bhaalspawn, and that it was him who led Sarevok to Candlekeep in BG1, and ity was he who followed the pc around and helped destroy the other bhaalspawn. Now he will destroy the pc and be the final; bhaalspawn left!

And then a final battle ensues between the bhaalspawn and Xzar!
How Melissan of him

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yes Jaheira was a good character, but Viconia, was way better especially in BG2, just give her the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength or something like that and you've got a powerhouse. She also wanted to use a 7-tailed whip on you during your romance , so she's a definite choice :P

Lumpy

Arcane
So, should I continue this, or does everyone not give a fuck?

Lumpy

Arcane
Okay. I was a little set back by the whole 'being in a coma' thing, but I'll get around to it soon.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Yeah, finish this LP. There are already too many dead LP threads. Don't add another one to the pile.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Im currently playing through BGII because I never did finish it, but your thread got me interested in playing BGI again.

There was something about the atmosphere and look of BGI that I liked better about BGI. I think maybe it was the western medieval look with the grey and brown color scheme. BGII is prettier and more colorful but I don't like the look and feel of it as much as I remember in BGI. That being said I haven't played BGI in 10 years so maybe I don't remember it well enough to compare with BGII.

I think Im gonna fire up BGI with Tutu and try it out that way.

Keep going with this thread please.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You must finish it! For your family! For the Codex! For auld lang syne!

Keldorn

Scholar
We must not lose faith, even against all odds. There seems to be an omnibenevolent and omnitolerant sentiment towards the generic, over-the-top excercise in high-fantasy massivity which is Baldur's Gate.

Baldur's Gate, my old stomping grounds. A tad teary eyed am I , Keldorn, upon even the most meager of mentions of Baldursgateness.

And I, Keldorn, shall not resort to vilification and apoplexy in DEFENSE of my exaltational mitochondrion, ever again.

I approve heartily of the path we have taken, the good has been upheld.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Am I the only one who is deeply bemused by the forum LARPing thing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom