Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

There is another world. There is a better world... Well... there must be (Doom Patrol)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And bump too.

Vaarna_Aarne

7n1ct.jpg

FTnl2.jpg

bLiA9.jpg

G61Du.jpg

CxGsc.jpg

DUCUD.jpg

hBAG9.jpg

QVLfI.jpg

CLPu1.jpg

wYk8Z.jpg

nEPKH.jpg

WhoAs.jpg

ENIso.jpg

ihLvL.jpg

Yhauc.jpg

HWajm.jpg

QzORC.jpg

IvhKM.jpg

VULY2.jpg

eia3r.jpg

92pVX.jpg

g8bEh.jpg

eU7eF.jpg

wZO36.jpg

njQKR.jpg

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What the fuck is this? Some kind of surrealist, dada-like, satire? I tend to hate comic books for the most part and superhero crap most of all but this shit just blows my mind in a good way...

:thumbsup:

Vaarna_Aarne

Boy howdy, now that we've gone through some heavy stuff again, it's about time for something more easy for the heart, right? The next issue is pretty much about Liberal.

What the fuck is this? Some kind of surrealist, dada-like, satire? I tend to hate comic books for the most part and superhero crap most of all but this shit just blows my mind in a good way...

:thumbsup:
It's Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol, and you're now free from the normalcy. Get ready to enter total reality.

That is to say, yes it's a surrealist comic that explores our own inner selves (and metamorphosis of that self) and satirizes the very idea of normalcy, much less those who think they're fit to enforce it. It's also a character story, as you can probably tell from several issues.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well then, that's it for this page. Just so you know, we have three updates left. Next we will run into the Sex Men and see Nobody run for president.

Anyway, express your awe and DISCUSS!! DISCUSS!! now.

L'ennui

Magister
Hey mang I just finished reading the first issue on page 1. Never knew of Doom Patrol until today, and I have to say, it is by faaaar the most interesting Superhero-type comic book I've read in ages. Thank you and keep it up!

Also this shit is weird.

Vaarna_Aarne

Hey mang I just finished reading the first issue on page 1. Never knew of Doom Patrol until today, and I have to say, it is by faaaar the most interesting Superhero-type comic book I've read in ages. Thank you and keep it up!

Also this shit is weird.
Like I've said, there's superhero comics, there's good superhero comics written by people like Warren Ellis, and then there's superhero comics by Alan Moore and Grant Morrison.

Vaarna_Aarne

Also, in preparation for the final arc, I'll explain a bit to you about (one of the reasons) why Grant Morrison considers superheroes such special, amazing things in the collective human imagination, and how a part of this relates to the final arc:

You see, Grant was raised by ex-hippies in Glasgow. His parents were politically active and went to protests and taught him about this stuff. Grant grew up with a haunting fear of the Bomb, of nuclear war. That was until American comic books arrived in Glasgow, and a new idea entered young Grant's mindscape. To be specific, he read a Superman story. To quote how he explains it now in Supergods:

"Before the Bomb was the Bomb, it was just an idea. But Superman was a stronger, better, faster idea."

That's where you must reconsider a certain small bit in Final Crisis, where the chimpanzee that wrote all the stories ever made with a typewriter tells a character (and reader) this:

"If your superheroes can't save you, think of something that can. If it don't exist, think it up. Then make it real."

Anyway, back to Doom Patrol DISCUSS!!ion that you guys aren't doing anywhere near enough... You guys must have noticed how Cliff's body is battered and torn apart all the time, right? It's part of the idea of his character, and why he has such paternal care for everyone he knows? It's because it's all fluid, transient with his emasculated body, on the level of a concept. If anything happens, it won't matter because it can just be rebuilt. Bullets and missiles don't mean anything to his body and himself, so he sees that it's only right that he should protect anyone. It's all he thinks he's good for, see? That because he's completely replaceable, it doesn't matter what happens to him instead of others.

It's not just his feeling of objectification that makes him such, it's also the sense of remorse and loathing about the man he was before. As you've seen it alluded before, Cliff Steele prior to his accident wasn't a very admirable man at all. It's not just self-pity, it's the fear that deep inside he's a cruel, petty and selfish man and if he was ever "cured" he'd be like that once more. The idea that his change is merely tied to his physical body is what drives his fears about Jane. But well, metamorphosis of the self is a theme that carries throughout the series, so you wait and see.

So just ask yourself... Are you ready to believe in the Catastrophe?

Sanjor

Novice
Soon, 6 more posts after this one for this page.

Liza Radley's cocked head is visually disturbing and makes my neck cramp up a little.

Will we be seeing more of Danny the Street?

Random

Arcane
Patron
If somebody quotes this post, I'll update my Let's Read tomorrow.

Random

Arcane
Patron
(Yes, that was a thinly veiled attempt to get somebody to help bump the topic)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom