Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Them ruskies's got new NWN2 screenies...

Texas Red

Whiner
Hmmm, the 5th dialog option, which isnt skilled based, is basically a threat as well.

And yeah, learn Russian. English is too retarded to be the internation language.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
The Walkin' Dude said:
Hmmm, the 5th dialog option, which isnt skilled based, is basically a threat as well.

And yeah, learn Russian. English is too retarded to be the internation language.
Only Dumbfucks hate Englishâ„¢

Deleted member 7219

The Walkin' Dude said:

Only because a bunch of Americans (not all of them) fuck it up day by day and now kids here in the UK are copying them.

Texas Red

Whiner
Matt7895 said:
The Walkin' Dude said:

Only because a bunch of Americans (not all of them) fuck it up day by day and now kids here in the UK are copying them.

Well, it has this retarded way of writing where you dont spell the words the way they sound. So one can write words in dozens of ways.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, there are some efficient languages that spell words EXACTLY as they are pronounced, like Latin, Hungarian or Finnish. And others, like English or German, also spell their words EXACTLY like they are pronounced, with the small difference of spelling them the way those words were used to be pronounced centuries ago. Now, me, as an appreciator of languages, I have always preferred the second batch of languages, for their spelling allows you to probe the roots of the languages and find out how the current words are interconnected with older words, and how the spellings of now and then correlate. Really, it does not make the language any more difficult to write, once you understand the patterns. The real difficulty with English is actually pronounciation, not writing. Just like in Chinese. Chinese, any dialect of Chinese, is easy to read and write if, and only if, you have a good memory for the pictographs. Chinese has a positional grammar system that makes writing grammatically correct sentences very, very easy, just like in English. If you haven't noticed, English is slowly developing to become a language with less and less grammar, too, and it might even become purely positional in the next five centuries. (Me go house, me eat food, he eat food, we go house (just like in Chinese)) This makes it easy for speakers of other, more difficult languages to learn English. The spelling is just a memory exercise, something even monkeys can learn.

Err, Focus:
I do not see why these screenshots increase enthusiasm. We basically have a Bluff, an Intimidate, a Diplomacy, etc. option for everything, all of which basically accomplish the same. How is this different from Hordes of the Underdark?

Whipporowill

Erudite
Jasede said:
Err, Focus:
I do not see why these screenshots increase enthusiasm. We basically have a Bluff, an Intimidate, a Diplomacy, etc. option for everything, all of which basically accomplish the same. How is this different from Hordes of the Underdark?

Who cares? HoTU was the best out of NWN (not saying much, I know) - so anything building on that should be at least "ok". Having dialogue options for the same result (at least likely, unless he's not easily threathened et c) is great, but hopefully that is a sign of dialogue to come later in the game.

Texas Red

Whiner
Jasede said:
Err, Focus:

Perhaps there are different reactions? And even in PS:T many of the options were based on your morals and aligment and didnt make a difference.

It sucks though, that the dialog is only skill based and it appears the attributes dont make a difference.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Eh, in PS: T, they did not depend on your alignment; they shaped it, had tangible results. I can not see any such results from those screenshots, which is not to say that NWN 2 doesn't have them. We will know for sure soon enough, I figure.

Texas Red

Whiner
Jasede said:
Eh, in PS: T, they did not depend on your alignment; they shaped it, had tangible results. I can not see any such results from those screenshots, which is not to say that NWN 2 doesn't have them. We will know for sure soon enough, I figure.

What I meant is that there were loads of dialog choises based on morals but they did not affect anything beside your aligment. And your aligment certainly didnt play a big part in the game, other than being pleasing to RPers.

I think NWN 2 has a pretty good chance in surpassing PS:T's conversations.

Nutcracker

Scholar
Jasede said:
Well, there are some efficient languages that spell words EXACTLY as they are pronounced, like Latin, Hungarian or Finnish. And others, like English or German, also spell their words EXACTLY like they are pronounced, with the small difference of spelling them the way those words were used to be pronounced centuries ago. Now, me, as an appreciator of languages, I have always preferred the second batch of languages, for their spelling allows you to probe the roots of the languages and find out how the current words are interconnected with older words, and how the spellings of now and then correlate. Really, it does not make the language any more difficult to write, once you understand the patterns. The real difficulty with English is actually pronounciation, not writing. Just like in Chinese. Chinese, any dialect of Chinese, is easy to read and write if, and only if, you have a good memory for the pictographs. Chinese has a positional grammar system that makes writing grammatically correct sentences very, very easy, just like in English. If you haven't noticed, English is slowly developing to become a language with less and less grammar, too, and it might even become purely positional in the next five centuries. (Me go house, me eat food, he eat food, we go house (just like in Chinese)) This makes it easy for speakers of other, more difficult languages to learn English. The spelling is just a memory exercise, something even monkeys can learn.

Err, Focus:

English is a much easier language if you know a bit of basic Latin or Greek.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
English is an easy language, no matter what. Though it is difficult to master, of course.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Jasede said:
English is an easy language, no matter what. Though it is difficult to master, of course.
I take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble, but not you,
On hiccough, thorough, lough and through?
Well done! And now you wish, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps?
Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird,
And dead: it's said like bed, not bead -
For goodness sake don't call it deed!
Watch out for meat and great and threat
(They rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
A moth is not a moth in mother,
Nor both in bother, broth in brother,
And here is not a match for there
Nor dear and fear for bear and pear,
And then there's dose and rose and lose -
Just look them up - and goose and choose,
And cork and work and card and ward,
And font and front and word and sword,
And do and go and thwart and cart -
Come, come, I've hardly made a start!
A dreadful language? Man alive!
I'd mastered it when I was five!

Atrokkus

Erudite
English is slowly developing to become a language with less and less grammar, too, and it might even become purely positional in the next five centuries. (Me go house, me eat food, he eat food, we go house (just like in Chinese)) This makes it easy for speakers of other, more difficult languages to learn English. The spelling is just a memory exercise, something even monkeys can learn.
I hope I won't live to see this, as it is surely a dreadful sight.

I woulnd't, however, be so quick to compare it to Chinese, because it uses other means to compensate for the lack of flexions and complex syntax - like, intonation system for example - something much harder than intonation in most other languages. As far as I know (I'm by all means not an expert in Chinese so correct me if im wrong), this affects the writing as well.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
In modern Mandarin, there is sentence intonation and the intonation of single words. However, only the sentence intonation is used as a grammatical tool, but that is done in Russian, German, Italian, English and almost any other language too. (Like the difference between "It is." and "It is?". The question is marked via intonation.) English and Chinese have more in common than one would think. And the WORD intonation, which is difficult to get at first, is only used as a way to cram more meanings into a single syllable. There are five ways of intonating the word "ma", and each one gives it a different (completely different) meaning. But that is not a grammatical tool, actually. You could just as well think of those 5 mas as 5 different words, and verily, they all use different pictographs, too.

Anaglyph

Novice
Jasede said:

Guess it's just indicative of the state of RPG's these days. It rouses my interest because the last RPG(ish) game I played was Oblivion (enough said) and, before that, some other game so mediocre I can't even remember what it was that approached dialogue as some irritating obstacle that gets in the way of the juicy combat. It's just nice to see a dialogue screen with different choices using different skills, even if they do all end up in the same result.

And I don't remember Hordes of the Underdark having much in the way of skill-based responses; they cropped up now and then but they didn't seem as pervasive as here. But perhaps that's just my crappy memory, or I just wasn't paying close enough attention to the dialogue (quite possible).

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Jasede said:
Well, there are some efficient languages that spell words EXACTLY as they are pronounced, like Latin, Hungarian or Finnish.
Except that noone knows how Latin was pronounced. If you learn Latin from different professors, you will of course learn the same way of writing, but you might learn different pronounciation.
Also, every country has their own Latin pronounciation. Just get a few recordings of Bach's Mass in H Minor and compare how the English, French and Germans do it...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Oh, we mostly know how Latin is pronounced, There are just a few things we don't know for sure, like the c before e and i and the gua in lingua. The German pronounciation is pretty close, French, Italian and English are way off. If we research how the Greek wrote Roman names and how they transcribed the Roman pronounciation, we can get pretty close to the correct pronounciation. But even then, said pronounciation changed with time. For example, the Romans did not always pronounce "h" in their reign, so "hortus" might have been pronounced "'ortus". But like I said, the Greek did transcribe some Roman names and that hints at the fact that "h" was pronounced, but usually only by the upper class.

So, here are some guidelines, written in English:
caesar - kay-sahr
linguam latinam - ling-wam lah-tee-num
caligula - kah-lee-ghu-lah
pulchritudinem - pull-chri-tuh-dee-nem

Edit: Actually, Italian is very, very close to the original pronounciation too, with the minor difference of pronounciation the c before e and i like in Italian, though it was most likey (according to the Greek sources) pronounced like k. (compare cello to michelangelo)

--
This is also the reason why I _cringe_ when I hear an English choir performing Bach.

pater noster in villam dormat -
pah-tar nos-tar in vi-lum dor-mutt

Of course this is a bit flaky because some sounds are difficult to represent in English.

My teacher was very keen on teaching us the "proper" pronounciation according to the scientific and linguistic evidence on the real pronounciation at that time. We got marks for it, even, and if we dared to pronounce the words in German (which is, as you might note, pretty close to the original pronounciation), we would fail the class.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
See, that's the problem. I think I wouldn't stand it if someone pronounced "caesar" as "kay-sahr". "C" before "ae" is "ts", that's how they taught me and that's how I like my "caelum" and "caesar".
My teachers were, however, divided when it came to the pronounciation of "tio" as in "lectio" - "lektsio" or "lektio" (of course, with "t" being truly a "t" and not a part of "sh" as in "nation").

Deacdo

Liturgist
Has anyone created a little character creation/development program? I seem to recall for NWN (or was it BG2?) someone developed a little HTML (or something) program that allowed you to create all the different characters, level them up and see how they progress etc.

Pegultagol

Erudite
so that is why in Russia, it is 'tsar' or 'czar'.
If I learn Russian, in how many countries would I be able to communicate at least on rudimentary terms?

jeansberg

Liturgist
Deacdo said:
Has anyone created a little character creation/development program? I seem to recall for NWN (or was it BG2?) someone developed a little HTML (or something) program that allowed you to create all the different characters, level them up and see how they progress etc.
Well, here's an Excel spreadsheet kinda thing. I'd much prefer an actual program, but it's better than nothing.

Voss

Erudite
Why the fuck do you even need that? You intellectual cripples and you're pathetic reliance on programs to do even the simplest thinking for you.

Thoughts on the screenshots-

Why the hell are the spell 'buttons' way the hell up there? Why not closer to the hotkeys, so you can easily move between one and the other. Its damn odd design.

Out of context... 'Look what you've done to my pig' is deeply disturbing.

Dialogue choices... well the options open up a couple things. Like if you can't spread skill points out among all the skills. DCs may be higher for some NPCs vs. certain skills, lower against others. Finally, the role-playing. Are you the kind of person who threatens anyone in your way, or do you prefer to trick them?

The world map. Nicely painted, reminds me a bit of IWD 2... but damn those icons are glaringly out of place. They couldn't have been painted and blended into the map as they are discovered?

Whats with the different dialogue screens? One is just a box, the other goes fullscreen. Weird. Or is the one for 'dramatic' conversations.

That damn kobold!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom