Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Them ruskies's got new NWN2 screenies...

spacemoose

Erudite
I wish they added a switch to turn the moron indicators on/off. it would be so painfully easy too

Shoelip

Arbiter
Oh course none of the skill checks in nwn actually use dice rolls. You just automatically take twenty on everything. :?

aboyd

Liturgist
dongle said:
Danger is, the player will only see this:
[Diplomacy]
[Bluff]
[Intimidate]
Sure, some people might only see that. But you won't. I won't. Why spend time worrying about how others play? We can still choose to read the text.

Anyway, having played KotOR 2, I'd voice a different concern. My fear for NWN 2 is that some dialogue options won't have any choice at all, like this:

[railroad] I love your suggestion, even though it runs contrary to my alignment, class, and/or race! Let's do it!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"That is how it works in D&D, bright one. The DM asks you to, or you initiate, a role for a specific skill."

A smart DM would never let a player roll for these skills or at least not tell them if it actually succeeded or not by not telling the player(s) what the DC is.

"Oh course none of the skill checks in nwn actually use dice rolls. You just automatically take twenty on everything."

Stop the bullshit. This is a bold faced lie which has 100% crushed when you read complaints about how skill checks were used in the OC. Moron.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"Oh course none of the skill checks in nwn actually use dice rolls. You just automatically take twenty on everything."

Stop the bullshit. This is a bold faced lie which has 100% crushed when you read complaints about how skill checks were used in the OC. Moron.

Hm, I guess all those times it displayed the words "taking twenty" and automatically gave me a roll of twenty, it didn't. I'm just glad you were to prove to me that I was wrong.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Just because certain skills let you take twenty (ie. lockpicking and remove traps); doesn't mean ALL skill checks.

If that was true, MORON, why is it you could fail one persuasion check and talk to the same npc and pass it with the same character? If your character was taking 20 automatically as you suggest, you would fail or succeed no matter what has your roll to pass the DC would be the same. It be 20+ skill. Not d20 + skill like it is.

What a maroon. This is embarassing. This is one of the common complaints about the OC that I actually agreed with - that it was too easy to simply retry a dialogue skill check you had just failed.

Pathetic. That's what you are. A wannabe Jed or Bryce when it comes to posting 'facts'.

L0LLERZ!

filogreek

Scholar
Nice dialogue options on there, though how many are there really? That scroll-bar/circle is quite small; just how many skills/attributes are able to be used for speech options in that one encounter? Or will some speech options have the same effect (for example, In bloodlines, Malkavians could use their dementia to take the place of Intimidate or seduce etc). Or did they just choose a stupidly small scroll bar :P

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sadly, Volourn is right and what you said, dear Shoelip, is completely, absolutely, extremely wrong. Diplomacy skills DO NOT take twenty in conversation in NWN, as much as I dislike the game, even though I don't hate it.
Twenty was only taken in situations where it applied rulewise, and never for dialogue.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
It could in dialogue too if the modmaker mad eit. I'm not sure in the OC. I wouldn't be surprised if some dialogue had skill checks that 'took twenty'. Certainly wouldn't rule it out.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't know about the OC. It's so horrible that I only ever played the expansions.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Jasede said:
Sadly, Volourn is right and what you said, dear Shoelip, is completely, absolutely, extremely wrong. Diplomacy skills DO NOT take twenty in conversation in NWN, as much as I dislike the game, even though I don't hate it.
Twenty was only taken in situations where it applied rulewise, and never for dialogue.

Hm, well if someone other than Volourn remembers it that way too than maybe I was mistaken. It's odd though I could have sworn it was like that... Oh well, maybe KotOR was the one.

EDIT: Then again if neither of you can remember the OC we're back to where we started since I only ever played to OC. I couldn't get myself to finish act two though.

Curois

Novice
The OC, however stupid it was, doesn't let you take 20 on conversation-skillrolls. It does however let you take 20 on thieving skills and heal-checks when you're NOT in battle. If you're in battle then you just get a roll. This reflects the fact that in D&D, when you're not in battle, you'd have unlimited time for retries, so you could just as well take 20.
There's even a feat that let's you take 20s even in battle. But it's clearly overpowered and in P&P there's to my knowlegde only a feat that does the same but with take 10 only.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Shoelip said:
Hm, well if someone other than Volourn remembers it that way too than maybe I was mistaken. It's odd though I could have sworn it was like that... Oh well, maybe KotOR was the one.

EDIT: Then again if neither of you can remember the OC we're back to where we started since I only ever played to OC. I couldn't get myself to finish act two though.

God damnit, will you only accept the fact that you're wrong when the whole world is against you?

I played the OC plenty of times(up till late chapter 2 anyway) even recently and you don't take 20 for dialog skills, which thanks to the looping conversations allows you to retry the persuade/whatever option until you get a 20.

No matter what you think of Volourn ignoring his knowledge of how nwn works is pretty idiotic.

Shoelip

Arbiter
hoochimama said:
Shoelip said:

God damnit, will you only accept the fact that you're wrong when the whole world is against you?

I played the OC plenty of times(up till late chapter 2 anyway) even recently and you don't take 20 for dialog skills, which thanks to the looping conversations allows you to retry the persuade/whatever option until you get a 20.

No matter what you think of Volourn ignoring his knowledge of how nwn works is pretty idiotic.

Well, two people(one of whom doesn't deserve to be listened to) said I was wrong and then admited that they did not actually remember playing the OC. That really isn't a very strong arguement in my opinion. So no, I wasn't convinced by that. It seems though that you and Curois do in fact remember the OC and also say I'm wrong. So I guess I probably am. I do still wonder if maybe KotOR did that.

Lumpy

Arcane
ViolentOpposition said:
I like how they "[ ]" a lot of stuff, and basically explain it for you. Ex: "[Diplomacy] This isn't worth your lives, leave now and no one will get hurt."

LOL, thanks, I'm too dumb to figure it out for myself! I could never manage dialogue options like that in Fallout without that type of help!
Yeah, what kind of crappy RPG does that?
Oh right, AoD.

I wonder why nobody criticized AoD for it, but now that NWN2 does it, it's the vilest form of dumbing down known to man. :roll:

EEVIAC

Erudite
Moron indicators was a phrase used specifically to describe the icons next to dialogue options in Lionheart that indicated whether you were going to initiate combat, take a quest, or exit a dialogue. Skill use wasn't part of it. Stop dirtying a beautifull term, people.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I am pretty sure Kotor worked like this...

Code:
IF (persuasion>5) {
  kcout("Yes, strong hero, I WILL give you all my credits!");
  partyAddGold(500);
  partyAddDSP(5);
}
ELSE {
   kcout("NEVAH!!!");
   engage();
}

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lumpy said:
I wonder why nobody criticized AoD for it, but now that NWN2 does it, it's the vilest form of dumbing down known to man. :roll:
This "feature" was criticized a lot until people got used to it.

trystero

Novice
Laptop...

Sheek,

Not to bring the topic back around to system reqs/specs, but laptops ( even those with integrated video chip garbage ) can be very unpredictable in terms of what games will run on them, so I wouldn't give up hope completely.

This is one of the reasons I wish all games would produce a very short technical demo pre-launch, so that you can install and test for compatibility on laptops. I am constantly surprised by how many games run perfectly fine on my business laptop ( which runs a Radeon Express 200M with 128 megs of shared video RAM ).

- trystero

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"then admited that they did not actually remember playing the OC."

Liar. Where did I say this? What I said was I didn't recall a specific time in the OC where you were able to 'take 20' in a convo check. Not that i didn't remember the OC. What a retard!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"then admited that they did not actually remember playing the OC."

Liar. Where did I say this? What I said was I didn't recall a specific time in the OC where you were able to 'take 20' in a convo check. Not that i didn't remember the OC. What a retard!

suibhne

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
This "feature" was criticized a lot until people got used to it.

Helps that games like KotOR 1 and 2 and Bloodlines also did it. It's pretty much market-standard now, or at least it's no longer a niche design choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom