Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The writing in this game is average

Orderian

Literate
That's wise.
Don't support games where Sawyer is involved.

Out of curiosity, why avoid Sawyer? It was the fact MCA was involved that drew me to PoE, but as it turns out, he was barely involved. This makes me worried about T:ToN...

mastroego

Arcane
Out of curiosity, why avoid Sawyer? It was the fact MCA was involved that drew me to PoE, but as it turns out, he was barely involved.
Yeah, that's no coincidence you know. And Avellone has recently left Obsidian altogether.
It's the Saw. Effect.

Orderian

Literate
Yeah, that's no coincidence you know. And Avellone has recently left Obsidian altogether.
It's the Saw. Effect.

So, is Sawyer a bad developer, is that the implication? I did some quick checking about Numenera, seems MCA is overseeing all the story, lets hope that his presence and expertise are listened to as the guy wrote over 800,000 words for PS:T.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
So, is Sawyer a bad developer, is that the implication? I did some quick checking about Numenera, seems MCA is overseeing all the story, lets hope that his presence and expertise are listened to as the guy wrote over 800,000 words for PS:T.

To me, Sawyer seems very good at the logistical/management side, in that his projects tend to get done consistently and without major mismanagement drama. IWD and NWN2 were completed under pretty onerous circumstances.(New Vegas had alot of Bethesda BS thrown in the mix).

Where he falls short is that his game design seems to be competent but uninspired. So things will make sense on paper and systems will work as intended, but they won't really be particularly compelling.

IMO he overthinks design issues, so he would be very effective if he were managing a project under a briliiant space cadet type creative lead.

mastroego

Arcane
So, is Sawyer a bad developer, is that the implication?
The argument has been debated to death over here.
I'm not sure it's wise to open it again.

Let's just say that there are MANY bad developers (obviously) but, to my knowledge, only one Sawyer-level developer.
Guess who's that.

Fairfax

Arcane
Out of curiosity, why avoid Sawyer? It was the fact MCA was involved that drew me to PoE, but as it turns out, he was barely involved. This makes me worried about T:ToN...
This reminds me of how misleading the Kickstarter page was.

Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC. Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment

Makes it look like they were going to lead and it was going to be the trio's dream project. MCA got 3/4 of his stuff cut and doesn't even want to take credit for what's in the final game. Tim did Stronghold stuff and a cookbook.
Does anyone think they would've earned the same amount of money if people knew this beforehand? Sure, they explained roles in updates and Q&A's but they still gave them apparently meaningful roles.

Honestly, I don't even blame Sawyer (I do in regards to cutting Durance/GM stuff, but that's a consequence of him being director), I blame Fergus for making him project director in the first place. Sawyer said he didn't even have to be part of the Kickstarter project, he just wanted them to make one. He was assigned a job and he did it, for better or worse.
The company's CEO should be the one getting the most flak, if you ask me.

mastroego

Arcane
Fairfax, that's true enough.
But my original suggestion stands: don't support games where Sawyer is involved.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Let's just say that there are MANY bad developers (obviously) but, to my knowledge, only one Sawyer-level developer.
Guess who's that.

Sawyer is uniquely capable of evoking hysterical overreaction on the codex if that's what you mean.

ETA: His games are not great, but they aren't horrific. Where they fail, they're just bland disappointments, not clusterfucks.

mastroego

Arcane
They aren't horrific because there are other people involved too.
If it were for him they'd be stripped bare of anything that would make them recognizable as game entities.

Orderian

Literate
So, MCA left Obsidian over how bad PoE actually was? I really hope the people over at Exile give him WAY more control over the content of the next Torment.

Fairfax

Arcane
Fairfax, that's true enough.
But my original suggestion stands: don't support games where Sawyer is involved.
That's a bit extreme. I'll definitely support games where he's not the project lead, or I'll buy them when they're extremely cheap at best.

So, MCA left Obsidian over how bad PoE actually was? I really hope the people over at Exile give him WAY more control over the content of the next Torment.
No one besides MCA, Fergus and whoever else was involved does. He did post this on facebook:

z1xHKFw.jpg

Honestly, I can't imagine one disagreement that could single-handedly make MCA leave. It was probably due to numerous things that were bothering him over time and it reached a breaking point more recently. None of the employees have said a word about it, he's not mentioned anymore and neither is his work (notice how they comissioned more art for PoE where Durance and the Grieving Mother are absent, just like every other artwork), not even the novella he said he's still going to deliver and is being edited.

What we do know is that he was having his role consistently reduced over the years. He became lead designer(and lead writer, I think?) for AP then director in 3/4 of FNV's DLCs.
After that he never got the same kind of role again. Not even in the company's cancelled projects, apparently. He then worked on Wasteland 2, FTL (for free) and PoE (we know how that turned out).

After 7 or 8 games without a meaningful role, as Creative Director, co-owner and co-founder of the company I'd be pretty pissed, but we don't know that he was.
As for Torment, do you mean Tides of Numenera or a potential sequel? Because even though he seems to be doing more stuff than he did in PoE, he's not calling the shots there either. Hopefully they'll stick to the original Torment's vision document and follow it like a bible. That would give us a remotely similar experience, at least.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Look at you people. Poisoning the minds of innocent newfags

Fairfax

Arcane
Not necessarily. He was supposedly a lead on some secret project iirc. The fact that he left, however, might mean that project was canceled.
Well, we know he wasn't lead in Stormlands or the Seven Dwarves, so maybe he was in Prey 2 or Backspace, but they were short-lived. Obsidian's current secret project was not it, however, as it's being led by Brian Heins.
His only work at Obsidian in the last 5 years was his involvement in PoE, and that wasn't enough for him to even take credit for it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, we know he wasn't lead in Stormlands or the Seven Dwarves, so maybe he was in Prey 2 or Backspace, but they were short-lived. Obsidian's current secret project was not it, however, as it's being led by Brian Heins.
His only work at Obsidian in the last 5 years was his involvement in PoE, and that wasn't enough for him to even take credit for it.

Tbh I think you assume too much without knowing any behind the scenes info.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyway.

Nobody mentioned this when I posted it, but Avellone's recent collaboration in an extremely silly piece of Machinima makes it seem unlikely that he has a quarrel with Josh Sawyer and Tim Cain: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...er-no-sjw-allowed.57009/page-997#post-4062762

My current most plausible-seeming theory for his departure is this:

Avellone writes something for some new project. The other writers and creative types at Obsidian dislike it/reject it for some reason, and veto it by majority vote. Avellone gets upset, goes to Feargus. Feargus sides with the other writers. Avellone quits.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Yeah, it must've been something Fergus and the rest of the partners.
Honestly, he doesn't strike as the type that would leave solely because of one cancelled project. He's worked on several rejected/cancelled projects over the years: Van Buren, Baldur's Gate III, Aliens RPG, KotOR III, and so on. What's curious is that one Obsidian dev said here (found it the other day when reading the thread about his departure) that there's no embargo on Obsidian folks to talk about it, but he wanted MCA to explain it himself instead of saying something first.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, it must've been something Fergus and the rest of the partners.
Honestly, he doesn't strike as the type that would leave solely because of one cancelled project. He's worked on several rejected/cancelled projects over the years: Van Buren, Baldur's Gate III, Aliens RPG, KotOR III, and so on. What's curious is that one Obsidian dev said here (found it the other day when reading the thread about his departure) that there's no embargo on Obsidian folks to talk about it, but he wanted MCA to explain it himself instead of saying something first.
My own view of the "why" would be either he simply got tired of Obsidian and wanted something new, or there are actual strategic decisions he disagrees with, such as the Fig thing and who knows what else, but that is the only viable path for Obsidian.

I joined as soon as I saw the site. I am happy that I did. :)
Well, just wait until this happens:

0ElGbNR.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom