Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The writing in this game is average

erickaqua

Educated
I think Thaos running away from you is actually a nice touch.
I mean, soul jumping aside, he's just one man, and you're also a Watcher who can disintegrate souls. Losing to you means losing his nation-wide condom plan since he has to wait for the next rebirth and growing up, and he can't have that.

As for the whole story, I think PoE is a great opening chapter. They introduced all the important elements like souls, reincarnation cycle, the nature of the gods, the society, etc, etc.
I like this mundane, low-key journey better than bombastic Biowarean adventure where everyone is ready to lick your butt.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I mean, soul jumping aside, he's just one man, and you're also a Watcher who can disintegrate souls. Losing to you means losing his nation-wide condom plan since he has to wait for the next rebirth and growing up, and he can't have that.
Right before he runs away, and before in the asylum, we see him possessing multiple people at once. It's never explained why he can't just possess you and your companions and have you commit suicide.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Right before he runs away, and before in the asylum, we see him possessing multiple people at once. It's never explained why he can't just possess you and your companions and have you commit suicide.

We are made of sterner stuff.

Rake

Arcane
Maybe, but the game should have explained it better. Seeing Thaos trying to possess someone (either you or some other NPC) and failing due to strong soul or something would be a nice touch, and a good way to avoid plotholes

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
cuck.png

erickaqua

Educated

The game did allude that your soul is REAAAAALLY strong and it withstood biawac, the soul-shearing wind.
Some babies are also born with stronger souls can resist Hollowborn plague, this means soul strength between some people are diverse. Maybe the team's strength is above average, since they've been travelling with you and killed so many people and have seen so many deranged shit. They've levelled up man.

Or, yeah, plot armor. It sucks Obsidian didn't give us chance to react to Thaos, and this is after knowing his powers. Maybe they should put a resolve check, so if your resolve is 20 you can advise Duc's guard to secure him, just like the one in Alpha Protocol. But seeing that he's a soul-jumping menace, the Duc will die sooner or later, but it's the process and cnc that counts .___. Oh well, a huge missed opportunity.

Also, I think Thaos is not taking any chances, your Watcher could be that type who kill for greater good. He might disintegrate Eder's souls just to bring Thaos down, who knows? If I were Thaos I don't want to bet, instead I'd rather drop cryptic one-liner so I'd look cool after killing the duc we barely knew!

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Writing is good but people trying to complain about worse writing here and there. It isn't PST but it writing is better than lets say BG2.

Better than BG2? :lol: Writing at times borders on Fallout 3 level shit and never surpasses mediocrity.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Writing is good but people trying to complain about worse writing here and there. It isn't PST but it writing is better than lets say BG2.

Better than BG2? :lol: Writing at times borders on Fallout 3 level shit and never surpasses mediocrity.

Which times? Haven't seen anything bad yet. I'm in Clîaban Rilag.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He can't, and it's explicitly stated at the asylum, when you read the souls from the two patients involved in all this. Thaos can only jump to bodies with weak, or without, souls, or else he wouldn't be able to overppwer the host.

In the asylum he only possess the constructs, who have so weak souls that inevitably with time they become useless, and some of the most deranged patients, he couldn't do it with one of your group, let alone all of of them. The same with your character.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

How about Durrrrrrance going "durr, names are useless for people like us", Avellone thinking he sounds witty but actually sounding like a fucktard.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
He can't, and it's explicitly stated at the asylum, when you read the souls from the two patients involved in all this. Thaos can only jump to bodies with weak, or without, souls, or else he wouldn't be able to overppwer the host.

In the asylum he only possess the constructs, who have so weak souls that inevitably with time they become useless, and some of the most deranged patients, he couldn't do it with one of your group, let alone all of of them. The same with your character.

But he could do it with an influential animancer? There was already an in-setting alternative option (dominate the guy) too.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

But he could do it with an influential animancer? There was already an in-setting alternative option (dominate the guy) too.
Animancers aren't really influential in the dyrwood. And being an influential guy, or in a position of power, doesn't make your soul any strong. It's plot required for him to have a weak soul, yes, but it isn't really something weird. Maybe he even orchestrated that the animancer that would go to the hearing was this one. If something is clear after you do the 3 quests before the hearing, is that Thaos and the Leaden Key have been manipulating the events from a long time to fufill their goals.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

Animancers aren't really influential in the dyrwood. And being an influential guy, or in a position of power, doesn't make your soul any strong. It's plot required for him to have a weak soul, yes, but it isn't really something weird. Maybe he even orchestrated that the animancer that would go to the hearing was this one. If something is clear after you do the 3 quests before the hearing, is that Thaos and the Leaden Key have been manipulating the events from a long time to fufill their goals.

The original argument was that they had to be very weak (IE: nutjobs, or soulless) for him to possess. And if he could manipulate who gets sent then he could have assured success by just sending a Leaden Key guy to perform the assassination instead and be sure it works. Instead we have the animancers sending what appears to be a weak faggot to argue for their existence.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron

How about Durrrrrrance going "durr, names are useless for people like us", Avellone thinking he sounds witty but actually sounding like a fucktard.

Didn't reach that part, I guess.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron

The original argument was that they had to be very weak (IE: nutjobs, or soulless) for him to possess. And if he could manipulate who gets sent then he could have assured success by just sending a Leaden Key guy to perform the assassination instead and be sure it works. Instead we have the animancers sending what appears to be a weak faggot to argue for their existence.
My original argument wasn't that they had to be very weak (although I would say so if Thaos was to perform a trick like the one at the sanitarium. There's a reason why the girl with an awakened soul don't get possesed, or the other patients that aren't in the cells), but to illustrate that those patients have weak souls and the game let you know this..

He could have done a lot of things to kill the duc and blame animancy, but he always would do that directly. It's pretty important for his plan that animancy gets blamed, and the assassination of the duc is key to this, and is part of Thaos character to do this stuff by himself to ensure it gets done.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
". It isn't PST but it writing is better than lets say BG2."

L0L But, no. The writing is largely boring and skippable. There are amusing individual passages but most of it is just gibberish. Then again, having the main story be a rip off of DOS doesn't help either.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

Didn't reach that part, I guess.

It's in the earliest dialogues with him. Around that point I just said fuck it and started over with an all adventurer party, they're stronger and don't say stupid shit. I wanna see Eder's backstory though since I'm still unclear on what exactly the deal with Eothas and St Waidewn was. That bit of the story is the only one I thought was genuinely good and a part of that is that they didn't spitball exposition on the subject beyond what everybody already knows (at least from what I've played).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
My original argument wasn't that they had to be very weak (although I would say so if Thaos was to perform a trick like the one at the sanitarium. There's a reason why the girl with an awakened soul don't get possesed, or the other patients that aren't in the cells), but to illustrate that those patients have weak souls and the game let you know this.

The original argument for why he doesn't possess you and other party members is that he can only possess weaklings. But the way it plays out is that he can possess just about anybody except characters with plot shield.

He could have done a lot of things to kill the duc and blame animancy, but he always would do that directly. It's pretty important for his plan that animancy gets blamed, and the assassination of the duc is key to this, and is part of Thaos character to do this stuff by himself to ensure it gets done.

The point is that it plays off like a badly written manga where the character avoids doing the obvious (or shits over internal consistency) for the sake of the plot (and in this case an unnecessary detail at that).

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Don't remember Durance saying names are useless for people like us, since he says a lot of names and is generally one of the best written characters in the game. I was simply amazed when I discovered him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom