Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher Platinum Edition Released

Arcanoix

Scholar
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>Yes, you heard right. There's a new <a href="http://tw1.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=29102.msg5418730" target="_blank">Witcher Edition</a> available, this time more enhanced than ever before:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>This particular version includes the v1.5 patch, all uncensored content, and the additional adventures that have been released.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>If only all devs would enhance their games that much.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98050-the-witcher-platinum-edition-now-available-in-europe.html">GB</a></p>

Now the previous editions can be scrapped and the NEW SHIT edition can be put on store shelves en masse at full price.

Silellak

Cipher
Elzair said:
Slightly on-topic, Silellak, your Age of Decadence Retrospective images are not showing up properly.
Should be good now. My web host was down for awhile. Thanks for the heads-up.

Angthoron

Arcane
I hope you're supporting your fellow countrymen by buying three copies of each re-release.

visions

Arcane
Angthoron said:
Rageing Atheist said:
Angthoron said:
As many times as ... Silent Storm

Has Silent Storm been reissued? It seems pretty hard to track down a copy of English version of it, afaik.

I thought I will probably have to resort to not removing from inventory if I want to get this in 2010.

I *think* I bought a reissued version, but that was several years ago now. It was just something off the top of my head and not necessarily very precise at that, compared to some of the more prolific titles anyway.

Nevermind then. The only things I can find on ebay are the expansions and one store selling the Spanish version.

Zeus

Cipher
So what's the best release of The Witcher?

There's like four versions, not counting the uncensored UK imports, and I need to know which to look for in case I ever spot it on sale.

Feelies interest me more than digital content, so if later editions exclude a printed manual or something, I'd rather the edition that came with more real life stuff, posters and whatnot.

Zeus

Cipher
Ausir said:
The best release is the Polish collector's edition. :)

You can find a breakdown here:

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witch ... 9#Editions

The Platinum Edition is just a nice name for a bargain bin edition, as it's a reissue witout all the extra Enhanced Edition stuff (but with the new patch), aside from the extras on the bonus DVD.

Thanks for the info, my man.

Is there any way to buy the Enhanced Edition, so I get all the stuff, then download some patch or another to roll the game back to the original look of the first release? I've seen a few screenshots, and in some cases, I prefer the original graphics.

Murk

Arcane
I was majorly pissed when I got the Enhanced Edition (ordered online) and saw it had a strategy guide/walk-through but lacked a printed manual - it did have a little booklet that is the story of how Geralt defeats the Striga (intro movie), which I suppose is the main reason I then bought the two English translated Witcher books.

If you're into having game manuals like me it might be of interest to check out which version has it or not before buying.

Ausir

Arcane
Seriously? It does have the manual in Poland. Sure it's not just your copy?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Angthoron said:
As many times as TES III Morrowind, BG, NWN and Silent Storm and Fallout, those fucking re-release dipshit cock ball fucks.
No, they've already passed:
- The standard release.
- Collector's Edition.
- Game of the Year Edition.

... and moved onto Enhanced, Director's Cut and Platinum within three years of release and had less content than most typical GOTY's (in fact each edition is just a "patch"). Typically, GOTY editions include expansion packs (Morrowind's included 2 and was released a year after the original). Even Silent Storm had Sentinels (GOTY edition which included expansion) and Hammer & Sickle all within 2 years of release.

Neverwinter Nights has had 3 expansions with Shadows of Undrentide, Hordes of the Underdark and Darkness over Daggerford and a bunch of "Premium pack" thingys (Pirates of the Sword Coast, Infinite Dungeons, Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, Kingmaker). That's over about a 3 year period.

It's also had Neveriwinter Nights 2 which itself has had Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir, as well as the Mysteries of Westgate adventure pack. That was all over a 5 year period from NWN's first release.

None of that includes patches.

Fallout got Fallout 2 a year after its release.

And The Witcher's releases can in no way be compared to any of the BG or Fallout bundles released 10+ years after their originals (and which include expansions and other sequels).

The Witcher has had: A patch. With each patch being called a "new Edition".

Angthoron said:
What I wonder about more is when that shitty Tolkien gets re-released?
They're adding extra paragraphs to Tolkien are they? I figured that still had all the same words as the first one they published.

Angthoron said:
"The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - Platinum Edition"

lulz. Calling a re-print with patch as a brand-spanking new edition is asinine.

Angthoron said:
And frankly, I rather buy a pre-patched Witcher with modules than a non-patched Witcher without modules and THEN download them because let's face it, those files are huge and you're either keeping them for the next install if you feel you want to replay the game sometimes or waste time re-downloading them again.
Funny. I made the same complaint about having purchased the original edition of The Witcher and then having to DL 2 gig of "Enhanced" crap only to get yelled at by a bunch of fanbois.

Murk

Arcane
Ausir said:
Seriously? It does have the manual in Poland. Sure it's not just your copy?

There was literally no more space inside the game's box for it - even aftre taking out the stuff I had difficulty getting it to get back in (the walk through is thick as fuck). The game DOES have a pdf of the full manual in color (basically I could print my own copy out if I wanted to waste the ink/paper). I'm at work so I don't have access to the box right now but I want to say that It even has a picture on it of everything that's included in the set and there is indeed no game manual.

I have read the manual and while it wasn't as magnificent as say Arcanum's or Fallout's, I still like having the damn things to peruse while in my Chambers of Contemplation*, many a great idea has come to me in those 4 walls.

*ye olde latrine

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Angthoron said:
Yes and no - the essential part remains the same. And frankly, I rather buy a pre-patched Witcher with modules than a non-patched Witcher without modules and THEN download them because let's face it, those files are huge and you're either keeping them for the next install if you feel you want to replay the game sometimes or waste time re-downloading them again.

WTF? Do you regularly delete downloaded install files after you've installed the game?

Shit, I've still got every game+patch+mod I've ever downloaded in the last 15 years - terrabytes of the stuff. I just keep buying new hard drives to hold them all (+backups).

Not important, just curious why anyone would just delete them, especially considering how dirt cheap hard drives are these days.

Murk

Arcane
Shit, I don't even keep games I own and frequently play installed during the down times when I am not playing it/them.

Angthoron

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
The Witcher has had: A patch. With each patch being called a "new Edition".

The way I see it, basically CDPR sees that they keep selling out the stuff that goes to stores and feel it warrants a re-release. In order not to mix the patched and the non-patched releases they add a new name to the subtitle. Yeah, the names are pretty stupid, I totally agree there, but what to call it? "The Witcher: The Less Shitty English VO Edition"? "The Witcher: Re-Release 1.5"? *shrug*

Also, they did add some modules to the EE and the later release that are the size of the DLC shit that Beth and Bio sell.

DarkUnderlord said:
Angthoron said:
What I wonder about more is when that shitty Tolkien gets re-released?
They're adding extra paragraphs to Tolkien are they? I figured that still had all the same words as the first one they published.

Actually, this one is amusing. I went to a book store to pick up some new books to read (and buy a HHGttU omnibus) and happened upon a Tolkien selection. They had three different releases of Tolkien - omnibus, split soft cover, split with editor foreword and Tolkien maps, a book of Tolkien drawings, a book of geeks talking about LotR, unreleased stories, unreleased stories Editor Edition, the whole lot of crap. Even a book purely dedicated to dragons. So you can say that yes, they add extras to re-sell the same thing. I remember it pissing me off a fair bit, I mean FUCK, the guy is dead, the estate doesn't get that much in the way of royalties, so who gets the money? Same for HHGttU. What the fuck.

DarkUnderlord said:
Funny. I made the same complaint about having purchased the original edition of The Witcher and then having to DL 2 gig of "Enhanced" crap only to get yelled at by a bunch of fanbois.

Dunno nothing 'bout that. You did wage a bit of a hate campaign on TW though so I guess most just did it as defensive bitching.

AlaCarcuss said:
WTF? Do you regularly delete downloaded install files after you've installed the game?

Shit, I've still got every game+patch+mod I've ever downloaded in the last 15 years - terrabytes of the stuff. I just keep buying new hard drives to hold them all (+backups).

Not important, just curious why anyone would just delete them, especially considering how dirt cheap hard drives are these days.

Well, simple reason is that I, for example, am a uni student in the final year, not exactly a lot of cash to throw around and with the retarded economy at the moment and being nearly impossible to find a part-time job in the area (and the ones available have shit timing), I can't afford bying new HDDs at the rate the old ones fill up. Plus the free interwebs for students. Yeah, it's only about 60€ for a tera, but for students those 60€ may be two weeks' worth of food (Or one night's worth of booze).

I suppose others have similar reasons as well - and if I don't intend to replay a game within the next, say, 3 months, why should I keep patches around?

Ausir

Arcane
This edition is actually called Platinum simply because CD Projekt's line of bargain bin editions of various older games in Poland is now called Platinum Series.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
FeelTheRads said:
I just keep buying new hard drives to hold them all (+backups).

Do you also buy a new house each time your old one fills up with stuff?

No, but you can't buy houses with spare change in your pocket like you can hard drives. (bit of an exageration, but not much). I bought a TB hd just last week for $80 (Au - which would be about $65 US). You can fit thousands of games on a TB :wink:

Dny

Educated
Black_Willow said:
DU bitched about downloading a patch to have the game patched.
This thread is now complete.

A game that was so shitty on release that they had to deliver gigs of patch to make it work right, I don't see anything positive here. I don't know what they did to the game engine that was delivered to them by Bioware but god all the loading times, the crash to desktop... they raped it.

Angthoron

Arcane
Uh, had zero problems with unpatched Witcher, and it ran ten times better and looked ten times better than the raped Obsidian counterpart (NWN2).

Though the bugs were being rather varying on different systems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom