Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher The Witcher - A New Saga Begins

Harthwain

Magister
I meant that since the books are so mediocre, the games inherited that as well.
Actually, I'd argue that the story part (sans the plot) was always better than the gameplay part in each game. In terms of language and delivery it's good enough to make it feel authentic.

Besides that, even if you think the books were mediocre you can't just put an equation mark between Sapkowsky's work and CDPR's work, because it is not that simple (they are essentially made by different people). And I say this as someone who isn't really fan of the books.

I like Game of Thrones more - the world is similarly gritty, but is more interesting by pulling you deep into the political/dynastic aspect of it from multiple points of view.

Vatnik Wumao
As far as having an impact on Polish culture the guy is the new Sienkiewicz.
Says more about the current state of literature than about Sapkowski as a writer. And unlike Sienkiewicz's novels which are rooted in Polish history and thus have an enduring quality to them, there are a dime a dozen fantasy novels out there and I doubt that people will continue reading Sapwoski's stuff in the not too distant future. He'll be at most immortalized as a historical footnote for his role in popularizing the modern fantasy genre in Poland, but that's about it.

Frozen

Arcane

Also, asking a writer's opinion on video games is like asking a pop start's opinion on politics.

And no problem is found?
Maybe that's why all games have juvenile shitty stories.

Frozen

Arcane
He is an uncouth lout. It's not that he just hates video games - he straight up insulted people who play video games (including his own fans), because "he doesn't know anyone intelligent who plays video games". This man belongs in the past. It's as simple as that. So fuck him and his opinions.

OMG HE INSULTED MY FEELINGS CANCEL HIM!

And he is right. Intelligent grown people don't play video games. Being a nerd loser is considered smart only in Kwa (or it used to be in normal times)

Harthwain

Magister
You're missing the point. I am just calling a spade a spade - he's obviously so old (and too high on his fame) that his opinions are completely detached from the reality (my grandparents have exactly the same problem). He's literally a meme at this point.

b358229c680847ef39684f24cd595227.jpg

And he is right.
He's a retard. Even a broken clock is right twice a day and he's wrong so often it's not even funny. Dmitry Gluchowsky summed it up very accurately when Sapkowsky started complaining how the game apparently "caused him a lot of stink and shit", despite the fact that they were THE REASON for getting translations in the West:

Among the criticisms Glukhovsky dished out were that the brains behind The Witcher novels was an “old fool” and that he’s “an ungrateful schmuck.”

[...]

“Without the gaming franchise, the Witcher series would never get this crazy international readership that it has. And it’s not just about the gamers but the gaming press and the buzz it creates, and just the feeling of something great and massive and impressive coming out. This got people hooked. He [Sapkowski] would remain a local Eastern European phenomenon without this, but he would never break into the West. And the same goes for my Metro books.”
Source: https://www.pcinvasion.com/metro-2033-witcher-author-sapkowski/

Intelligent grown people don't play video games.
Or RPGs. Which explains why you're here. Am I right? :smug:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.reuters.com/technology/cd-projekt-aims-start-production-phase-polaris-2024-2024-01-22/

CD Projekt aims to start production phase of 'Polaris' in 2024​

WARSAW, Jan 22 (Reuters) - Polish video game maker CD Projekt (CDR.WA), opens new tab aims to start the production phase of the next game in its blockbuster "Witcher" series this year, the company's new joint CEO Adam Badowski told Reuters.

"We'd like to have around 400 people working on the project by the middle of the year", Badowski said.

Badowski, a company veteran, took the helm at CD Projekt along with Michal Nowakowski at the start of the year.

The project, called "Polaris", is a new trilogy expanding the universe of the "Witcher" medieval fantasy franchise, which has sold over 75 million copies since the first game was released in 2007.

CD Projekt did not give a premiere date for the first game in the project, but analysts expect it to debut in 2026 or 2027.

That leaves the company without major game release in the next couple of years.

After a bug-ridden launch of another game "Cyberpunk 2077" in late 2020, CD Projekt has been focused on transforming its studio. It has announced plans for several new games and said in October that Cyberpunk's sales had exceeded 25 million copies.

A sequel to Cyberpunk, code-named "Orion", is in the conceptual phase, Badowski said. CD Projekt expects to have about 80 people working on the project by the end of the year.

Nowakowski added the company was considering including multi-player elements, but would not discuss details.

He said wage pressures had eased and the company expected hiring in its Polish studios to be "rather low", but it would continue expanding its North America studio.

He added CD Projekt had formed a team to look into how it could use AI.

"We think that AI is something that can help improve certain processes in game production, but not replace people," he said.

Speaking about lessons learnt from Cyberpunk's release, Badowski said the company now had better control of the game production process.

"We believe that in the future we'll avoid a premiere like the one we faced with Cyberpunk 2077", Badowski said.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
He is an uncouth lout. It's not that he just hates video games - he straight up insulted people who play video games (including his own fans), because "he doesn't know anyone intelligent who plays video games". This man belongs in the past. It's as simple as that. So fuck him and his opinions.

And he is right. Intelligent grown people don't play video games. Being a nerd loser is considered smart only in Kwa (or it used to be in normal times)
One can be a nerd looser and still have high IQ. At best you mistake "intelligent" for "having normal life/not being asocial/having dates". Intelligence isn't a measure for that though there might be a correlation. There are high IQ misfits in the world. Today probably more than ever. Unless by "grown" you mean "mature" and/or "sane" but that's a different story. And not what Sapkowski said as quoted by Lacrymas.

Ryzer

Arcane
This game will be another adventure of a witcher simping for a sorceress or maybe the main character will be a woman showing what she is made of with her magic power thingy. Misogyny will not pass, wymyn will beat even the strongest men.

But considering how incredibly woke Polish companies are, I place my bets on strong anti-racist story-line, framing how horribly racist medieval Poland Redania is.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

An old man who has never played a game for a single second says games are stupid. A worthless opinion.

Now my mom's opinion I can respect. I let her play Minecraft, Ori, Goat Simulator, Anno 1800, Kingdom Come and Elden Ring after which she rigorously concluded games are retarded (altho she did like roaming around in KCD). An error of judgement but an educated one.

9ted6

Educated
This game will be another adventure of a witcher simping for a sorceress or maybe the main character will be a woman showing what she is made of with her magic power thingy. Misogyny will not pass, wymyn will beat even the strongest men.

But considering how incredibly woke Polish companies are, I place my bets on strong anti-racist story-line, framing how horribly racist medieval Poland Redania is.
The books are borderline woke to begin with.

Alot of the same shit like the obnoxious girlbosses showing up idiot men, the church being evil bigots and Ciri being the abrasive lesbian feminist chosen one is present in the books, the games just exaggerate it and make it more blatant.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
blessed by grandpa himself

man...money does really solve all problems doesn't it?

Money and crate of vodka.

This old drunk won the lottery when CDPR bought the rights for 50k euro and made the first Witcher game. Nobody outside of Poland gave a fuck about his bootleg LOTR untill Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 sealed the deal. The games opened the NETFLIX avenue from where he got shit loads of money. CDPR changed his bum life.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The books are borderline woke to begin with.

Alot of the same shit like the obnoxious girlbosses showing up idiot men, the church being evil bigots and Ciri being the abrasive lesbian feminist chosen one is present in the books, the games just exaggerate it and make it more blatant.
In the context of the time and place he wrote the books, ~*tRoPe SuBvErSiOn*~ was a novelty. From today's perspective, sure they're trash like 95% of YA literature.

Last edited:

Cancer

Literate

The Witcher novels are bottom-feeder fantasy, if I've ever read it. "Racism" is directly mentioned in the prologue of the first book (and again in the second book, if I recall correctly), so it's not like Sapkowski wasted any time exposing his own "fantasy world" as anything other than a vehicle for spouting completely modern ideas.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

This old drunk won the lottery when CDPR bought the rights for 50k euro and made the first Withcer game. Nobody outside of Poland gave a fuck about his bootleg LOTR untill Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 sealed the deal. The games opened the NETFLIX avenue from where he got shit loads of money. CDPR changed his bum life.

I think he was earning reasonable amount of money out of books published in Poland and eastern European countries even before CDPR. Thanks to the games he becama "rich" instead of just "wealthy" but for an old drunkard i doubt it's such a big difference. What, he will be able to buy a 50 years old whiskey instead of just a good one? Big deal.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Last thing. You shouldn't count on a custom character. That would require more freedom for player in building the character (of else what's the real difference) and that means the amount bugs and nonsense would be beyond the scale. This is CDPR we are talking about. People who weren't able to make a decent Cyberpunk 2077 game having like what? 8 years? And budget in hundreds of millions $. For everyone's sake (=every CDPR shareholder, otherwise who cares) they have to do a fixed character.

What i don't understand is: Why not Geralt again? If sequels are out of question, then there are many other options:
a) prequels
b) sidequels
and finally, tadam, ...
c) reboots!

Why not? I means , perhaps there is a reason, i'm not following this... thing.

thesecret1

Arcane

This old drunk won the lottery when CDPR bought the rights for 50k euro and made the first Withcer game. Nobody outside of Poland gave a fuck about his bootleg LOTR untill Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 sealed the deal. The games opened the NETFLIX avenue from where he got shit loads of money. CDPR changed his bum life.

I think he was earning reasonable amount of money out of books published in Poland and eastern European countries even before CDPR. Thanks to the games he becama "rich" instead of just "wealthy" but for an old drunkard i doubt it's such a big difference. What, he will be able to buy a 50 years old whiskey instead of just a good one? Big deal.

I suspect the biggest change is everyone fanning his nuts and acting as though he's a literary genius.

Frozen

Arcane
Sapkowski did nothing wrong. Games are shit for nerd losers with low IQ
Last thing. You shouldn't count on a custom character. That would require more freedom for player in building the character (of else what's the real difference) and that means the amount bugs and nonsense would be beyond the scale. This is CDPR we are talking about. People who weren't able to make a decent Cyberpunk 2077 game having like what? 8 years? And budget in hundreds of millions $. For everyone's sake (=every CDPR shareholder, otherwise who cares) they have to do a fixed character.

What i don't understand is: Why not Geralt again? If sequels are out of question, then there are many other options:
a) prequels
b) sidequels
and finally, tadam, ...
c) reboots!

Why not? I means , perhaps there is a reason, i'm not following this... thing.

It would be too much for them to do even 2 endings where Geralt is with Yen or Triss.

Besides, why would you play as boring old ass Geralt when snowflake CD project writers can give you something so rich and deep as that V simpleton from cyberturd.

Gerrard

Arcane

Clearly wasn't rich enough to save his son's life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom