Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
To be fair I don't think the Witcher games would make any less sense with a female witcher instead of Geralt. Witchers already exist outside the established social order, the world is used to powerful women from all the sorceresses running around, and the superhuman strength the witchers get from their mutagens is going to trump any gender differences in physical ability. Equal rights for female witchers should fit right in.

odrzut

Arcane
I don't know, they want to change sex and orientation of main hero and to have equality rights in setting based mostly on feudal Europe.

By same logic Tomb Raider alienates MALE fans, but whatever.
Not really, huge tits.

Geralt is also quite handsome, too. And is half naked a few times in game (there's even quest where he wanders through a town only in pants).

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Geralt is also quite handsome, too. And is half naked a few times in game (there's even quest where he wanders through a town only in pants).
Yep, sorry, I was a bit :retarded: when making the reply. This will teach me to take part in ongoing discussions while dead tired.

Gord

Arcane
Hm, partly it might be due to games industry still being dominated mostly by (hetero?) men and men being the main focal group, putting it under a general suspicion of following some sexist agenda. In contrast movies, despite all the double standards you get there as well, have enough people of all providence to credibly avoid this.

For an aspiring gaming "journalist" looking for some credibility, this are all seemingly easy possibilities to score some points and look progressive, credible and cool.
Of course, if it's a semblance of credibility and professional working ethos they seek, gaming "journalists" should rather try to find an answer for their issues with questionable lobbyism by publishers, paid-for reviews (whether directly or through adds, vacations, invitations, etc.) and so on.
This would help much more in their quest to earn themselves the name of journalist.

Keshik

Arcane
To be fair I don't think the Witcher games would make any less sense with a female witcher instead of Geralt. Witchers already exist outside the established social order, the world is used to powerful women from all the sorceresses running around, and the superhuman strength the witchers get from their mutagens is going to trump any gender differences in physical ability. Equal rights for female witchers should fit right in.

I think Witchers being male only is from the books, or at least I recall them being so, so I guess they're stuck in that regard. Granted they could just ignore that, but I guess they'd diverge from a defining aspect of a Witcher (kind of like people in Deathwatch wanting female Astartes for some reason).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is plenty of criticism about sexism in movies, you just don't care enough to find it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I think Witchers being male only is from the books, or at least I recall them being so, so I guess they're stuck in that regard. Granted they could just ignore that, but I guess they'd diverge from a defining aspect of a Witcher (kind of like people in Deathwatch wanting female Astartes for some reason).

I have no idea what Deathwatch is but considering that Astarte is an ancient oriental goddess, it would be very weird to have a male person referred to as "Astarte".

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have no idea what Deathwatch is but considering that Astarte is an ancient oriental goddess, it would be very weird to have a male person referred to as "Astarte".
In universe designation of 40K Mahreens of Spess, "Deathwatch" being the table top RPG where you play them.

odrzut

Arcane

Yeah, elves, nobles and wizards already have kind of equality in this setting. And Ciri was almost a witcher. I don't have a problem with female witchers, I just think playing as Geralt, as opposed to "some witcher" adds value for TW games. Predefined character allows studio to do much more detailed story. If they changed Geralt to "some Witcher, that can be male or female" the story would be much worse. Better to just make another game, where you play as Ciri (bisexual(I think?) liberated woman).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For an aspiring gaming "journalist" looking for some credibility, this are all seemingly easy possibilities to score some points and look progressive, credible and cool.

People going all "HHNNNNNG GENDER ISSUES" generally manage to lose all credibility with me after the very first sentence they type.

To be fair I don't think the Witcher games would make any less sense with a female witcher instead of Geralt.

Yes but I wouldn't mind a "Triss adventures" DLC (for free of course) where we get to see what she was doing at some point in the story. She should also get to cheat on Geralt, equal rights and all that.

UserNamer

Cipher
I guess nowadays being hetero and seducing women is sexist. Pretty soon having a penis will be deemed sexist (for one thing the bio drones will be the first to volounteer for pesky-penis removal)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
ITT a bunch of men cry about their privilege yet again.

Like the other chick who posts on the BSN that's also a developer and has a Dragon Age 2 my little pony avatar and writes lesbian dragon age 2 fan fiction in her spare time? Yes, there is one.
hoorayforicream? Yes, she's also fabulous and informative. Didn't know about the fanfic though, let me take a glance--
:what:
On the upside exposing myself to that showed me http://social.bioware.com/419394/blog/59615/ which made it worth it. :lol:

Hohohohoho. As much as I'd like to see my toiling countrymen upstage Bethesda I think this is all pretty much bullshit. CDProjekt has nowhere near the financial resources necessary to create a huge open world game and actually populate it with something worth exploring. This is going to be Gothic 3 all over again.
They said they've nearly doubled the teamsize for this one and Witcher 2's team was already the size of Bethesda's.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
ITT a bunch of men cry about their privilege yet again.

Like the other chick who posts on the BSN that's also a developer and has a Dragon Age 2 my little pony avatar and writes lesbian dragon age 2 fan fiction in her spare time? Yes, there is one.
hoorayforicream? Yes, she's also fabulous and informative. Didn't know about the fanfic though, let me take a glance--
:what:
On the upside exposing myself to that showed me http://social.bioware.com/419394/blog/59615/ which made it worth it. :lol:

Hohohohoho. As much as I'd like to see my toiling countrymen upstage Bethesda I think this is all pretty much bullshit. CDProjekt has nowhere near the financial resources necessary to create a huge open world game and actually populate it with something worth exploring. This is going to be Gothic 3 all over again.
They said they've nearly doubled the teamsize for this one and Witcher 2's team was already the size of Bethesda's.

I don't buy it. Pulling off a huge open world like that, on par with Skyrim requires shitloads of cash. Cash that the studio nor its parent company do not posess. This isn't just about hiring developers, but also crap like voice actors. They have no previous experience with open world games. Piranha Bytes did and look where it got them.

This isn't just about hiring developers, but also crap like voice actors.

Yes, who could beat Bethesda in VA department? They obviously put so much effort into it.
Give me a break, it's pretty clear that Beth makes games "on the cheap" and most of their budget goes to marketing. If CDPR actually pours most of their resources into actual fucking game they should be fine. TW2 might not have the same size as Skyrim but you have to be pretty dumb to not notice that it has higher production values and less copy/paste design.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't buy it. Pulling off a huge open world like that, on par with Skyrim requires shitloads of cash. Cash that the studio nor its parent company do not posess..
Keep in mind that Witcher 2 cost over 30 million PLN which is like ~9.65 million US dollars. They have a huge advantage in that they can create similar-quality games for less than it would cost a US developer.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I don't buy it. Pulling off a huge open world like that, on par with Skyrim requires shitloads of cash. Cash that the studio nor its parent company do not posess. This isn't just about hiring developers, but also crap like voice actors. They have no previous experience with open world games. Piranha Bytes did and look where it got them.

It's truly a sad state of affairs when Bethesda is the standard for these open world kind of games considering just how static and bland their worlds were in Oblivion and Skyrim. From what I gathered about Gothic 3 it was basically JoWood screwing up PB's plans and timetable which resulted in a mess that was Gothic 3. But hey, you never know. I can't help but think how ironic it would be if CDPR managed to top both Bethesda and Bioware at the same time.

Lord Andre

Arcane
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince old fags that twitcher series is not a european remake of Final Fantasy 7.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If only they announced comprehensive mod tools to go alongside the open world design, we could end up fixing or adding to it. I think Bethesda understands that it´s hard to get everything right in such huge worlds, and leave it to the fans to "fix" it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom