Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine Expansion

Gerrard

Arcane
apperently they did it: (books spoiler)
this is apperently regis. IMO who knows. In books he was high vampire sort of which was nearly impossible to kill. They did sort of kill him in books but he is high vampire he could regenerate. Though timeline doesn't make sense then as regis took like 50 (or 500) years to regenerate when he was chopped by peasants.

GJAwJ59.jpg
>can regenerate from having head chopped off
>is balding
:deathclaw:

Gerrard

Arcane
Piss filter, piss filter everywhere. It also looks like SSAO is disabled in all of the footage shown so far.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I have to say the yellow filter seems really overdone, hopefully some nice reshade will get made to reign it in.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Ansel is only for screenshot making, this is CDP thing internal in the game, I assume to give it warmer sunny look, but personally I would prefer
http://imgur.com/a/sq0ij

the bottom look.

janior

Arcane
Patron
He was one of the dankest characters in books, i'm actually glad that they'll 'possibliy' bring him back, yeah it's kind of cheap fan service but idc.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
No new content for The Witcher 3 after Blood and Wine comes out
"This is the last thing we deliver and we focus on Cyberpunk."

There won't be any new content released for The Witcher 3 after second expansion Blood and Wine, game director Konrad Tomaszkiewicz has told me.

CD Projekt Red never promised anything beyond the 16 free pieces of DLC and the two expansions but this is up to date confirmation from the horse's mouth nonetheless.

"Is this the last expansion?" I asked Tomaszkiewicz when I went to see Blood and Wine recently. "Yes," he answered.

"Will there be any more game content released for The Witcher 3 at all?" I followed up. "No," he said, "this is the last thing we deliver and we focus on Cyberpunk."

There will, however, continue to be patches released for The Witcher 3. "The first thing is that we try to fix as many bugs as we can for the second expansion and the main game," he said, "and we will release a patch before we release the expansion and maybe one later."

RedKit modding support for The Witcher 3 is a trickier issue. The Witcher 3 has ModKit support but not the more capable RedKit tools like The Witcher 2. CD Projekt Red suggested they might come and then suggested they might not, but never closed the door entirely.

Whether we will ever get RedKit for The Witcher 3, Tomaszkiewicz - game director - didn't seem to know. "I don't got such information to be honest," he said. "We want to support our community and I hope that we will do something."

Tomaszkiewicz will "probably" go and help on Cyberpunk 2077 after Blood and Wine comes out, as will most of the 100 people working on the expansion. But he won't take lead on it; studio director Adam Badowski will do that.

"But maybe I will get something new," teased Tomaszkiewicz, "we'll see."

CD Projekt Red plans to have four teams working on games; two big teams, two smaller teams.

The major focus will naturally be Cyberpunk 2077, not due until after 2017, and there are plans for another blockbuster game to be released before 2021. Whether the latter one will be a Witcher game I don't know. I've been led to believe the studio will take a break from the IP, but it would be silly - given its success - not to return to it at some point.

"Personally I hope that someday in the future we will do something more because I love the setting and I work on The Witcher games around 12 years right now," he said. "But I don't know what we will decided. The strategy plan they've got they will share with us soon. We'll see."

CDPR has another game planned for 2016 it described in a financial presentation as, "A new type of video game format previously unexplored by the studio." I don't know what this is.

Maybe at E3 in June things will become clearer.

That's unfortunate, I was hoping they would add Iorveth and Saskia in.

Project: Eternity
apperently they did it: (books spoiler)
this is apperently regis. IMO who knows. In books he was high vampire sort of which was nearly impossible to kill. They did sort of kill him in books but he is high vampire he could regenerate. Though timeline doesn't make sense then as regis took like 50 (or 500) years to regenerate when he was chopped by peasants.

GJAwJ59.jpg
>can regenerate from having head chopped off
>is balding
:deathclaw:
He has yet to regenerate hair.

Gerrard

Arcane
So much piss the sky is green.
Also look at this fucking contrast.
cxkciGy.jpg

50 shades of green.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More previews: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/117219-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-blood-and-wine-previews.html

Console Domination starts us off:

Blood and Wine is set in the lush Mediterranean Toussaint, a more vibrant and luscious sandbox than Skellige or Novigrad in the main game. that being said the map size is around that of the playable area in Skellige but with less water and more land, being host to around 20 new monster types that are sure to be a blast to hunt. Dialogue wise there are about 14 thousand lines of dialogue compared to the 6 thousand found in Hearts of Stone, almost all but ensuring that the fantastic writing and direction that makes the Witcher’s dialogue so interesting will not be lacking. Also added is a new dye item that changes the colours of your clothing, although it can only be obtained in the new area.

Another new feature is the vineyard in Toussaint that you are given as part of a quest. This serves as a hub for all of your activities in the DLC as well as a showcase for some of the game’s new features. Spending cash can upgrade the vineyard from a cheap shack to a house worth living in, complete with new displays for your armour and weapons. There is also a workbench to test out the games 12 new mutations that grant access to huge powers, such as coming back from the dead with full health and critical hits from signs that cause enemies to explode. These new features will take a solid investment to unlock but the reward is great.

Press Start takes us further:

The expansion also sees the introduction the of Dynamic Point of Interest system. While not much more detail was given, these are essentially landmarks in the game world the player can effect change on, from how it appears through to the presence of enemy NPCs in the area.

Along with a revamped user interface, the expansion also brings with it a number of other exclusive features like new mutations and combat abilities. For those that purchase Blood and Wine, it has been confirmed that features such as these will carry on into Hearts of Stone and the base game.

And Player2 caps off the trio:

From here, things start to open up – Geralt is introduced to the bodies of those murdered, as well as anyone who may have seen what went down and who may have caused it. It becomes apparent pretty quickly that this is gearing up to be a big, complex narrative, with intertwining paths and stories already appearing to take shape.

A big narrative isn’t all you should expect from Blood and Wine. You are given access to a vineyard, which also doubles as your main hub, that you can modify and play around in. You can also dye your armor (Geralt looks amazing in pink) and even put your unused weapons and armor on display inside the vineyards homestead. The level cap has also been upped from level 60 to 100 to accommodate those of you who can’t get enough Witcher-ing action. Most importantly, though, the overall inventory has been further cleaned up and refined, bringing with it an actual sense of function and purpose – something the vanilla version of the game sorely missed. Thankfully, you won’t need the Blood and Wine expansion to get the updated inventory as this will roll out in a free update for all Witcher 3 owners when Blood and Wine is released.

Martius

Liturgist
The game + season pass for 38 jewro on GoG right now. That's some pretty fucking insane value.
Typical, just few days after I bought it on Polish site because at that moment price was better.

Perkel

Arcane
The game + season pass for 38 jewro on GoG right now. That's some pretty fucking insane value.
Typical, just few days after I bought it on Polish site because at that moment price was better.

ain't bad. Watch it after 1 month to sell everything for 20$ and repack everything to hit stores as GOTY 11/10 edition

Martius

Liturgist
ain't bad. Watch it after 1 month to sell everything for 20$ and repack everything to hit stores as GOTY 11/10 edition
If that will happen so fast I will be bit mad. Usually I wait for bigger price drop but I thought it wont get better before my vacation at end of month. I guess next time I need to trust more best virtue - patience.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.vg247.com/2016/05/11/the...an-evolution-of-the-peasant-misery-simulator/

The Witcher 3: Blood & Wine – an evolution of the “peasant misery simulator”

CD Projekt’s Patrick Mills on Geralt’s new adventures in a war-free land and telling stories through obscure quests.

The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_Blood_and_Wine_The_Scolopendromorph_-_its_harder_to_kill_than_to_pronounce_its_name_RGB-Copy.png

“Don’t ever not tell a joke because it’s too obscure. The more obscure it is, the fewer people that can get the joke the funnier it is to those people. I think the same thing is true of quests, and events, and those little Easter eggs that happen.”

After finishing up a three hour hands-on with Blood & Wine, CD Projekt’s final Expansion Pack for The Witcher 3, I’m ushered into a smaller room in the studio’s slick visitor’s area to chat to one of the developers about the expansion and reflections on The Witcher 3 in general.

A veteran of much-loved RPG studio Obsidian Entertainment, Patrick Mills landed at CD Projekt, another RPG behemoth, in 2013 as a quest designer. In our chat, we talk about the development of Blood & Wine, the philosophy of good sidequest design, and excitement for the future of the developer of this, one of the finest games of the generation so far.

VG247: Having just played for a few hours, I have to say that, wow, this world feels quite different to the ones we know from the main game. From the internal perspective of quest design and narrative, how do you feel about what you’re offering in Blood and Wine?

Patrick Mills: Well, basically the first thing I think of is playing through the original game. I’ve been working on this for a while, and I actually got to go back to the original game briefly recently. So I boot it up, I load in, and I’m in Velen… and, well, it’s just this peasant misery simulator… and I’m just like, oh god, this is so dark, so depressing, so sad. I was so happy when I got back to Beauclair in Blood and Wine. Of course there’s bad stuff that happens there, it’s still a Witcher game, and obviously there needs to be stuff for Geralt to solve – problems. But it felt nice to get back to this place. People are pretty happy, and thanks to that we get to present a different take on things.

Another side of how I feel is structural – in Witcher 3, we have all those points of interest, all those little question marks on the map. I think that we didn’t really feel that we had connected those properly to the world as well as we could have… so, with this one, and a little bit with Hearts of Stone… but more with this one, since it’s a new world, we were able to tie those in to the quests and build things out of them – build the world in a more organic way.

I don’t think the points of interest that we did in The Witcher 3 were bad, but I definitely think that the ones we’ve done now are better. Our quests tie into the world better in that way. In general, we were able to fix problems that we saw in The Witcher 3; we could come at them and say “hey, we’ve figured this out now, we know what we’re doing. We can make this even better.

The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_Blood_and_Wine_pits_you_against_dangerous_new_enemies-Copy.png

VG247: From a development standpoint, how does it feel to work on something that’s a little more iterative, rather than working alongside a developing engine? Is that refreshing?

Definitely, yes – and at least on the quest team, I’ve played our stuff, and I’ve seen how people are working through things, and we’ve achieved a level of efficiency with our tools that I think not everybody had with The Witcher 3.

When we were developing that you’d sometimes make something and then need somebody else to help with a particular element of it – but at this point we’ve had so much experience that everybody can be the master of their own domain and build these quests out fully – able to say, hey, this is my vision, and I’m really going to fully commit to this vision. I think that’s been great, it’s been really nice to do.

There’s pros and cons to working on an expansion pack, but one of the biggest pros is that you go in and you already know what you’re doing. You’re at the top of your game. There’s no questions of ‘oh, how do I do this’, or ‘I need to go and ask the engine team for support’ – I know what I’m capable of and I know well what I can do in this toolset. It’s fun. It’s nice.

The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_Blood_and_Wine_Blood_or_wine-Copy.png

VG247: It’s obvious from today that you guys have had a lot of fun working on such a different environment tonally – how long have you been at this, considering its size?

Well, Hearts of Stone was developed on a much shorter timetable, and we could get away with that because it was taking place in the world that we already had. I couldn’t tell you precisely how long that was, but it was on an order of months. We’ve been working on this now… gosh, how long have we been working on this now?

PR: Hmm. It feels long. Really long. [laughs]

Yeah. It’s much longer – I would say probably twice as long, easily. I’ll be honest, they told us we have a vacation coming up and I’m like “What, really?!” [laughs] I have no head for calendar dates or anything – it all just blends together. But, y’know, we’ve been working on it for a long while. It’s much more time consuming, but there is a lot in this. There’s lots and lots of quests. That’s something that — on Hearts of Stone it was mostly the core story of the expansion. With this one we’ve got that core story, and it’s actually a little bit longer than the Hearts of Stone core story, but then we also have tremendous amounts of side content.

That’s actually the sort of side I enjoy a little bit more, because we can tell our own stories and tell smaller, self-contained stories, and there are lots of them. If you just walk around that city… the other day I just loaded it up myself to test something. Normally we just test on our little sections, but I loaded up the whole thing that time, and I’m walking through it and there’s just… a quest, and a quest, and a quest, and a quest. I see an event happening, and I know that leads to a quest, and this thing over here ties into a quest… there’s lots going on here.

It’s very nice with this expansion – by having a whole new world, we really got to design that structure from the beginning all over again.

The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_Blood_and_Wine_A_nice_day_for_a_walk-Copy.png

VG247: In terms of what you and your team do, I think one of the most impressive things is how a piece of side content can stand out so much. What’s the philosophy behind side quests, and how do you not get tempted to make such strong quests more compulsory?

“It’s just this peasant misery simulator… and I’m just like, oh god, this is so dark, so depressing, so sad. I was so happy when I got back to Beauclair in Blood and Wine. “

For me, and I can only speak for myself here, as all of our quest designers have their own process – my process is to find an idea. It can be a gameplay feature, a funny scene, a joke, anything like that – find that, build something around that, and then don’t stop there – go ahead and find the core themes. I ask, ‘OK, what’s interesting here’ beyond that little nugget at the core of it. Find that, accentuate it, then use the story to fully bring that out.

As for certain quests becoming harder to miss or part of the main game, there’s a push and pull on that. You will have people say ‘Oh, we need to make sure that this gets seen by absolutely every player’. Then you have people like me on the opposite side of that argument, pushing back.

Thankfully we do have the ability to push back on those things. My favourite piece of this expansion, not everybody’s going to see – there isn’t that much signposting to push people towards it. I’m of the philosophy that the fewer people that experience a thing, the more ownership they feel over it. So when you see this cool thing that your friends maybe didn’t see, you get to tell them ‘Oh, I saw this thing!’

Even in the era of YouTube, you put that YouTube video up — hey, I found this neat thing. And you found it! It’s yours! Do you know the TV show Mystery Science Theatre 2000? They said a very smart thing about comedy – they said “Don’t ever not tell a joke because it’s too obscure.” The more obscure it is, the fewer people that can get the joke the funnier it is to those people. I think the same thing is true of quests, and events, and those little Easter eggs that happen, and I very firmly believe in that, so I always push to have things in there for players to find and really own.

The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_Blood_and_Wine_Beauclair_is_all_kinds_of_fancy_RGB-Copy.png

VG247: Do you think that with the reaction to things like the Bloody Baron quest, the obvious example, you’ve reached a new point in video game storytelling?

I think that we’ve just started to get good at it, and we have a long way to go. There’s been some very interesting stuff in the indie space, and I unfortunately haven’t got to see all that much of it, since it exploded when we were at our busiest on this game. But at least in Triple-A gaming we’ve just started to get… we’ve pulled our way up, and we’re starting to tell some really interesting stories and have some really interesting interactions and things. I’m really looking forward to what we can do in the future. I think this expansion moves our storytelling forwards too, in interesting ways – but that’s for our audience to judge.

I’m really excited to see where things go from here, but I’m really excited for the future because I think we’ve just started to get good at all this.

VG247: Okay, so I know we can’t talk about what you’ll be doing next… [PR nods along enthusiastically with this point] but I want to at least touch on it. So, you’re going to be heading to a very different world to the Witcher with Cyberpunk. Is there anything like that which stands out as particularly exciting or challenging to you?

That’s a good question! Er… what I will say… very generally… [laughs] is that working with different universes, different styles of storytelling, different licenses… it brings different challenges. It will be very interesting to see how we adapt to that. The stories we’ve been telling are pretty specific but also a lot of those stories are universal; we can still tell those in different spaces.

Gerrard

Arcane
VG247: Do you think that with the reaction to things like the Bloody Baron quest, the obvious example, you’ve reached a new point in video game storytelling?

:dead:

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Ugh, that UI looks horrible. Not that the original was perfect, but grids>lists anyday. Fake edit: Okay, especially the potions and the books were quite the mess after 10+ hours in the original, so maybe this will be more usable, but it still looks worse. :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom