Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine Expansion

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
playing witcher games for the combat is like paying bethesda game for . . . everything

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The Addon is full with references.
There is even a "Monkey Island" Insult Duell which allows you to skip a regular fight.
Also:
Fuck yes, Aerondight!

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Bros what is it? everytime i get to play this i'm feeling like i want to sleep.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Goddamn the voice acting is amazing. Emotions are conveyed amazingly well. The ending is amazing for B&W.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Vivienne is beautiful

8F4904F356F6ED32DC9C8C45B6F0C859CBCD5661

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Speaking of trashmobs, cleaning out the hansa bases is ridiculous. There are SO MANY bandits!
They do mix it up, so one base also has wardogs, another has a lot of halberdiers...but it's still absurd.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Well the main story kinda makes up for it.

it consists entirely of cutscenes and boss fights, literally no trash mobs :lol:

Divinity: Original Sin
I'm enjoying the expansion as I expected I would.

I see the Bestiary section with new monsters, and I love that they brought a lot of witcher 1 monsters, like barghests, kikimores, centipedes.

What I like about CD projekt is that they don't sell their new games by diminishing their previous installments, like every game developer do. They respect their previous catalogue.

But I have a problem with the new UI. Though it's quite better than the previous one, inventory screens take about 2-3 seconds to load the grid. Annoying.

Monkeysattva

Cipher
I was kind of hoping a vampire infiltration story was going to happen. The one they have is all potential, and lackluster execution. I also like the duchess as a character. Don't know why. Seem the right combination of bitch and lady. Sadly you can't bone her.
As per the combat: I could easily stand it both in the proper game and in hearts of stone, but in this one I really feel the tedium.

The best quest is the Equine one. Relatively funny, in a low level mel brooks sort of way. Should have been longer; and with some better writing could have actually been wonderful.

NullFlow

Savant
I was kind of hoping a vampire infiltration story was going to happen. The one they have is all potential, and lackluster execution. I also like the duchess as a character. Don't know why. Seem the right combination of bitch and lady. Sadly you can't bone her.
As per the combat: I could easily stand it both in the proper game and in hearts of stone, but in this one I really feel the tedium.

The best quest is the Equine one. Relatively funny, in a low level mel brooks sort of way. Should have been longer; and with some better writing could have actually been wonderful.

I have to admit B&W is where the tedious nature of the combat really hit me. Playing on Death March is even less engaging so I decided to lower it to Blood and Broken Bones because having to smack away a few more times at damage sponges isn't very fun. At least some of the new enemies added some freshness to the combat.

SlimmyJim

Barely Literate
Hey there, long time lurker, first time poster here. I've been working on some videos looking at the whole Witcher series for the last few weeks and somehow missed the news about Blood and Wine coming out. For anyone who's played it, do you know if it significantly changes any of The Witcher 3's story or mechanics? I'd hate to have said anything about the Witcher 3 that's no longer accurate.

typical user

Arbiter
Hey there, long time lurker, first time poster here. I've been working on some videos looking at the whole Witcher series for the last few weeks and somehow missed the news about Blood and Wine coming out. For anyone who's played it, do you know if it significantly changes any of The Witcher 3's story or mechanics? I'd hate to have said anything about the Witcher 3 that's no longer accurate.

Don't listen to that guy above me. The most influencing change is addition to character perk system. You can unlock 4 additional slots which don't affect any of selected mutagens (you don't get any more bonuses from those) plus you can spend extra skill points as well as mutagens to unlock new passive abilities like 50% of sword damage added to your sign damage or 15% decrease of incoming damage for each point of adrenaline. You also get new recipes to convert green, blue and red mutagens to any other color so you don't need to farm them to unlock new ability of this system. It sort of makes NG+ more relevant as you will find that you need more skillpoints to unlock these new skills and if you want to abuse certain ones such as Synergy (50% increased bonuses from mutagens). You also get new tier of witcher gear so no longer Viper set is the best one (unless you play on NG+ as blunt resistance from Bear set is very practical against humanoid enemies).

Wolfe

Arbiter
This expansion has got some fantastic diversity in side quests. 25 hours in, don't think I'm too close to the ending and I've been having a great time. I also loved the execution of a throwback to the first game.

Mechanics wise, the addition of the expanded mutagens is pretty interesting. I experimented a bit with it and the Aard freeze talent + Northern Wind bomb is fun, although there's still the problem that the game is too easy even on Death March and perfecting your build doesn't really have a purpose in the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom