Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Weekly/Yearly LOL Baldur's Gate sucks thread!

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
Where is this from? The Baldur's Gate 3D remake in the DA engine?
It's fanart.

Hey, guys! What's better to run on a modern 1920x1080 monitor, Baldur's Gate Trilogy+Widescreen mod, or EE edition?

hiver

All this sweet pillow talk made me want to play Baldur's Gate again.
You are such a pathetic laughable coward. A true weakly shite.

- well, my work here is done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greatness

Cipher
Obviously dual/multi is more powerful than a single class, especially in late game BG2 and ToB. However, Viconia as a pure support is quite useful when you play with SCS2. Because 95% of battles start with the enemy spellcasters dispelling all your buffs and then spam you with CC spells. Having Viconia with 100% MR (or near there) immune to CC spells and who can buff the rest of the party and dispelling CC from others while Aerie and Edwin spam DD/CC spells. Because you often do not have the luxury of having Aerie waste 5 turns buffing the party in the middle of a battle.

Well buffing during battles is one of the main draws of cleric/mage multi. Normally it's not really worth it to stand around casting buffs during a fight but with the multi you can store them in sequencers and it's actually pretty effective.

Hey, guys! What's better to run on a modern 1920x1080 monitor, Baldur's Gate Trilogy+Widescreen mod, or EE edition?

A lot of haters here, but I'd say just go with the EE version. See this post.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Why would you even consider EE?

BGT all the way. All the mods support BGT and you don't fund the hacks at Beamdog.

You can buff very quickly using sequencers, though. I never got far with a Tactics party, but I used to buff Aerie at the start of the fight into an elven ball of fluffy rage and sent her into melee, because she had so much staying power than melee fighters. And I had Viccy in the party too.
You can only have 1 sequencer per arcane caster and only Aerie can put divine spells in them and you cannot target other party members. So you still need a buffer/dispeller for the rest of the party.

hell bovine

Arcane
You can only have 1 sequencer per arcane caster and only Aerie can put divine spells in them and you cannot target other party members. So you still need a buffer/dispeller for the rest of the party.
Yeah, but that is why I always send her ahead to catch all the dispels, since with spell immunities she just shrugged them off. My party was only PC (don't recall what), Aerie, Viccy and Jaheira. PC was female, so none of that romance creepiness, just slaughtering everyone, as it should be.

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
Well buffing during battles is one of the main draws of cleric/mage multi. Normally it's not really worth it to stand around casting buffs during a fight but with the multi you can store them in sequencers and it's actually pretty effective.

A lot of haters here, but I'd say just go with the EE version. See this post.

Why would you even consider EE?

BGT all the way. All the mods support BGT and you don't fund the hacks at Beamdog.
The ONLY reason I'm even considering EE is because the GUI mod doesn't support 1920x1080. Which means tiny interface buttons and tons of empty space around the edges.

EE interface scales with the resolution, but it's also pretty blurry and dingy from what I've seen. Don't give a flying fuck about new content, it's all about the interface. OCDying hard.

Fun fact: researching the BG mod list, I came across one that makes enemy mage AI smarter and cheat less ( :lol: ).

http://www.gibberlings3.net/scs/

SCS plays fair. I've made a fairly sustained effort to ensure that SCS opponents fight by the rules and don't use powers denied to the player (other than obvious things like dragons' breath weapons, liches' ability to see through invisibility, etc!) This is probably most notable for spellcasters - SCS mages don't randomly get uninterruptible spells, improved casting time, free Alacrity, or the like. (In fact, I've removed these powers from creatures in the vanilla game occasionally, though I haven't done so systematically.)

Greatness

Cipher
The ONLY reason I'm even considering EE is because the GUI mod doesn't support 1920x1080. Which means tiny interface buttons and tons of empty space around the edges.
EE interface scales with the resolution, but it's also pretty blurry and dingy from what I've seen. Don't give a flying fuck about new content, it's all about the interface. OCDying hard.
Fun fact: researching the BG mod list, I came across one that makes enemy mage AI smarter and cheat less ( :lol: ).
SCS plays fair. I've made a fairly sustained effort to ensure that SCS opponents fight by the rules and don't use powers denied to the player (other than obvious things like dragons' breath weapons, liches' ability to see through invisibility, etc!) This is probably most notable for spellcasters - SCS mages don't randomly get uninterruptible spells, improved casting time, free Alacrity, or the like. (In fact, I've removed these powers from creatures in the vanilla game occasionally, though I haven't done so systematically.)

You can probably assume everyone here on the codex is playing with SCS. It's great, but I don't know if "playing fair" is an accurate way to describe it.

Anyways, here's some screenshots of the UI at 1920x1080 from my recent run with the Enhanced Edition. There's a lot of UI mods for the EE versions I just took the first one I seen. Looked good enough for me.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

playing BG with 1920x1080 is an overkill. I set the resolution at 1280x720 and it's perfect.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
It's fanart.

I'd play EE but it really depends how motivated you are to research and install fixpacks & mods, and how much compatibility you want with more obscure mods which haven't been updated to support the EEs. Also obviously if you've modded BG before it's much less of a chore than starting from scratch.

The instant saving/zoom/quick loot of the EEs are all nice to have but not necessary by any means.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I can't play IE games at resolution higher than 800x600. It just starts looking like Command and Conquer or something.

Greatness

Cipher
I can't play IE games at resolution higher than 800x600. It just starts looking like Command and Conquer or something.

Well that's one of the benefits of the EE versions. You can play on as high resolution you want and still have the same perspective as 800x600 if you so choose.

Greatness

Cipher
Yeah and you can enjoy the shitty blur-filter.

Oh noes the dreaded blur filter. I just loaded up vanilla + EE installs to actually compare them since I always see this brought up.

I cut/pasted the EE screenshot into the original UI so I could more easily compare them.
euXUf2I.png
VL4HJ3z.png

That huge difference is definitely worth dealing with the clunky resolution implementation, long save/load times, horrible alt-tabbing, atrocius path finding, etc. Right?

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It's far more visible in other screenshots - namely the ones that Beamdog used for PR when they launched.

If you play BGT, the pathfinding problems are pretty much solved.

There is nothing clunky about implementing the resolution you want if you are already modding BG to begin with. Considering that it's a single .exe file that you run once and in which you merely have to write two numbers. Oh noes so difficult and clunky!

Save/load times long? What world are we living in?

Alt+tabbing works just fine, I have no idea what you're complaining about.

Plus, you need to purchase EE in the first place. Which introduces its own bugs and CTDs, that don't exist in BGT. So yeah, try harder to shill for Trent.

Greatness

Cipher
It's far more visible in other screenshots - namely the ones that Beamdog used for PR when they launched.

I don't know shit about Beamdog's PR screenshots, that's just what I took 30 minutes ago. I'm not a shill, if you read the post I linked I even recommended not purchasing them. I'm just someone who finally gave them a chance and was surprised to see they weren't as awful as everyone says. Not worth the price tag, but still the best way to experience modern IE overall.

If you play BGT, the pathfinding problems are pretty much solved.

BGT does nothing for pathfinding other than porting it into the BG2 engine, which is still pretty awful.

There is nothing clunky about implementing the resolution you want if you are already modding BG to begin with. Considering that it's a single .exe file that you run once and in which you merely have to write two numbers. Oh noes so difficult and clunky!

I'm not talking about installing the mod... The resolution is clunky because of the way it's implemented. Everything gets smaller and harder to see. You can't have 1080p without having to squint, so you're forced to run it in lower resolutions. It's much better in EE where your view isn't tied to resolution and you can go as high as you want and still be perfectly playable.

Save/load times long? What world are we living in?
Alt+tabbing works just fine, I have no idea what you're complaining about.

That's also the deal with alt-tabbing. If my desktop is a different resolution to my game (and it will be since playing at 1080p with the widescreen mod is horrible), then every time I alt-tab I have to swap out resolutions which is annoying. Maybe that and the instant save/load times aren't a very big deal, but they're still noticeable improvements. So are things like the auto-loot feature, improved UI, adjustable font sizes, hardware mouse support, improved modability, etc.

Plus, you need to purchase EE in the first place. Which introduces its own bugs and CTDs, that don't exist in BGT. So yeah, try harder to shill for Trent.

The EE's have updated versions of the fixpack integrated into the game. If there's more bugs or crashes I haven't noticed them. I actually had more crashes in my BGT install than my BGEE one (Beregost). In fact they even fix some bugs that existed in the original games but weren't possible to fix. Not to mention they also correct some balance oversights that BGT introduced, like say familiars or weapon proficiencies.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

BGT does nothing for pathfinding other than porting it into the BG2 engine, which is still pretty awful.
Isn't that basically what BG:EE does too? Sorry, but BG:EE's pathfinding still kinda sucks imho. And who cares about pathfinding btw? Why is this such a huge selling point? I don't think it made or broke the game for anyone...
I'm not talking about installing the mod... The resolution is clunky because of the way it's implemented. Everything gets smaller and harder to see. You can't have 1080p without having to squint
...or put your glasses on? I've never had a problem and I play on a laptop with a normal sized screen.

No offense, but all of your problems seem rather specific to you. That is to say, you aren't really offering any selling points for the rest of us.

Greatness

Cipher
Isn't that basically what BG:EE does too? Sorry, but BG:EE's pathfinding still kinda sucks imho. And who cares about pathfinding btw? Why is this such a huge selling point? I don't think it made or broke the game for anyone...

No, BGEE devs actually went into the source code and improved it. As detailed here. It's still not perfect but it was definitely noticeable to me as someone whom has played the series many times.

...or put your glasses on? I've never had a problem and I play on a laptop with a normal sized screen.
No offense, but all of your problems seem rather specific to you. That is to say, you aren't really offering any selling points for the rest of us.

Do you actually play it at 1920x1080? It's not specific to me. Even in this very thread there's multiple posts saying that playing at high resolution is awful. And I don't really care about selling it. I even said it's not worth the money. Just at the end of the day it is the best version available, if only slightly. Well, so long as you're ok with pretending the additional NPCs don't exist that is.

Last edited:

hiver

Fun fact - youre an imbecile! :lol:

How about finding a mod that removes all the powers from the player that are denied to game enemies you laughable devolved faggot?

:fight::deadhorse::butthurt::martini: :lol:

Do you actually play it at 1920x1080? It's not specific to me.
No, I play it at 1366 because otherwise the NPCs would be tiny on my laptop screen, but, yes, I can read the text at 1920 without squinting, thank you.

Well, so long as you're ok with pretending the additional NPCs don't exist that is.
Speaking of, does anyone know of a hack to get rid of the marketing screen that tries to sell them to you every time you start up the game on the iPad?

Last edited by a moderator:

Greatness

Cipher
No, I play it at 1366 because otherwise the NPCs would be a centimeter tall on my laptop screen, but, yes, I can read the text at 1920 without squinting, thank you.

That was my point. I never said anything about reading the text. Higher resolution shrinks everything and just feels wrong. Most everyone agrees with that. EE fixes it, allowing you to play at 1080p or even higher comfortably.

Speaking of, does anyone know of a hack to get rid of the marketing screen that tries to sell them to you every time you start up the game on the iPad?

The UI mod I'm using removes them. I don't remember the name though, I'll see if I can find a link. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the UI mods out there remove the ads.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
No, I play it at 1366 because otherwise the NPCs would be tiny on my laptop screen, but, yes, I can read the text at 1920 without squinting, thank you.

It's an iPad. You don't get to customise your experience.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have an iPad. It's very limited in what you can do with it without bothering with jailbreaking. Admittedly I don't bother with ifunbox when I mostly play boardgames on it.

You can modify the BG:EE files with ifunbox, copy out/in save games and character files etc - all without jailbreaking. I've messed around with it some, but I just wanted to know if there was an easy way to be rid of the intrusive marketing - on a game I already paid for, no less.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom