Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Weekly/Yearly LOL Baldur's Gate sucks thread!

SwiftCrack

Arcane
He's actually quite the powerhouse after his quest and with the gauntlets of dex.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Anomen has seven levels of fighter class which gives him +1/2 attack from 7lvls and +1/2 attack from Specialization. He also gets to-hit and damage bonuses from proficiencies. He has a heap of HPs from seven fighter hit die, plus 18/52 STR. Basically, he's no slouch in melee combat - especially when you consider his self-buffs from the clerical side..

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
In BG2 every class, every NPC is a powerhouse.. Anomen can wield Flail of Ages.. with enough ApR and clerical self-buffs he can solo Throne of Bhaal with ease..

But yeah, whatevs. BG2 sucks..

SwiftCrack

Arcane
What Lilura said, especially with Flail of Ages + a good shield and something like Righteous Magic.

Hell, even with just haste.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Because of dual class Anomen can max any weapon skill. That with cleric buffs makes him a terror on the battlefield.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm surprised so many codexers kept Anomen around long enough to learn all this stuff.
Actually nevermind, no I'm not. :codexisfor:

Anomen starts the game as a level 7 Fighter/ Cleric as second class. Level 7 (along with level 13) happen the be the optimal level for power building a Fighter -> something else Dual class Human. So his Dual Class choice doesn't gimp him in any way (* coughs * Nalia * coughs *). In fact, considering how LOW the power ceiling for a pure class Cleric in Baldur's Gate is, Anomen shines as a perfectly viable fighter with the Flail of Ages. After a Cleric reaches level 17 and receives his second Lvl 7 spell, he don't have a lot going on for him at higher levels. Anomen, however, keeps scaling during ToB, since you can upgrade the Flail of Ages. Viconia may be really effective early game, since she will have a couple of Cleric levels over Anomen and will reach Lvl 7 Spells faster, but her late game is a joke. You don't need that many low level cleric spells, you need extra combat prowess, which comes either with added magic (Aerie) or melee strength (Anomen).

In short: Anomen, if built correctly, has the potential to become a powerful melee fighter ON TOP of being the party's cleric. So, yeah, there is your reason for keeping Anomen. If you hate his character concept, that's fine, I won't argue. But trying to deny his powergaming potential is just plain stupid.

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
ITT horrible undead monstrosities explain how much they love Anomen

the_abduction_of_anomen_by_grandsachi-d5v6p4r.jpg

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Because of dual class Anomen can max any weapon skill. That with cleric buffs makes him a terror on the battlefield.

AD&D rules clearly state that ONLY pure class Fighters can put more than 2 skill points on a particular weapon. BG decided to extend the benefit to Dual Class Fighters -> something else, which essentially made them superior to pretty much every other build available. It's no coincidence that pretty much every power build out there involves dual classing from a fighter kit (usually kensai, but I preffer the berserker's immunities, myself). Being able to max flail is another reason for keeping him, thank you for reminding us.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah, and some mods that make game follow PnP rules remove the option.
But I don't think even that would make Fighter/Clerics that less powerful.

People always state Vi as most powerful cleric but imo from powerplaying point Anomen and Aerie would be munchkin's choice. Three Summon Undead/Holy Smites in a sequencer etc.

hiver

Ah lookey there, Stupid shit appeared again.

Gonna cry more about how Kangaxx touched you in dirty places? How you could not defend yourself from his ranged touches? How the bad game has some scripts...so you cannot so easily just steam roll over everything by cheesing and cheating?

Ran out of stupid juice, strawman arguments and non logic? Aww... cmonn... there has to be some more mental shit to scrape of the bottom of that skull.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Gonna cry more about how Kangaxx touched you in dirty places? How you could not defend yourself from his ranged touches? How the bad game has some scripts...so you cannot so easily just steam roll over everything by cheesing and cheating?

Ran out of stupid juice, strawman arguments and non logic? Aww... cmonn... there has to be some more mental shit to scrape of the bottom of that skull.

Who let the foulmouthed yapper out from its rightful place in Retardoland?

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted

Write something deserving attention and I might consider giving a shit. Right now it's just sad watching you beg me to reply to your half-assed drivel.

hiver

Ah, there we go.... straight of the bottom. Self delusions of utter morons tend to cling the longest. More declaratory statements to satisfy the screaming ego.

Nobody gives a crap about what you think is worthy of your attention retard. And its not that you have to reply to anything i say - its that you cant. The last post dismantling your stupidity and laughable ignorance is two pages back and you just ran away and pretended it didnt happen.
Another empty arrogant turd with IQ of 15.

Who let the foulmouthed yapper out from its rightful place in Retardoland?
Thats not really how the script went, ocatvius. Pot kettle and all that?

This specific shit is just getting his own shit back.

Aint nothing complicated.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, and some mods that make game follow PnP rules remove the option.
But I don't think even that would make Fighter/Clerics that less powerful.

People always state Vi as most powerful cleric but imo from powerplaying point Anomen and Aerie would be munchkin's choice. Three Summon Undead/Holy Smites in a sequencer etc.

Yeah, the Dual Class builds were already pretty powerful on PnP, so removing BG's buff will just make them "pretty strong" instead of "blatantly OP". The people who say Viconia is the most powerful cleric never finished ToB OR are lonely virgins obsessed with the idea of "redeeming the bad girl" (her shitty romance). She is a full support with very little combat ability, essentially a non-combatant by the time you leave Saradush for the first dungeon (whichever you choose), perhaps even sooner.

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
Yeah, the Dual Class builds were already pretty powerful on PnP, so removing BG's buff will just make them "pretty strong" instead of "blatantly OP". The people who say Viconia is the most powerful cleric never finished ToB OR are lonely virgins obsessed with the idea of "redeeming the bad girl" (her shitty romance). She is a full support with very little combat ability, essentially a non-combatant by the time you leave Saradush for the first dungeon (whichever you choose), perhaps even sooner.
That's kind of Viconia's whole point, supporting the party with buffs and healing spells, equipped with nothing but a slingshot and +2 bullets.

I can't imagine why you would object to having one party member devoted to full support, while having Minsc, Korgan, and/or Keldorn with Carsomyr, as well as Edwyna wrecking shit with high-level mage spells.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You can turn Vi into somewhat of a nuisance to enemy spellcasters if you put enough MR items on her and pump saving throws.

I can't imagine why you would object to having one party member devoted to full support
You generally need support before combat not during it (buffs). You buff and then whackamole everything quickly.
And Aerie wouls still probably be better cause she can support with both cleric's and wizard's spells, even wear Robe of Vecna for faster casting (I usually have someone else to wear it but I think I will try it some day for a change).

Sykar

Arcane
Anomen starts the game as a level 7 Fighter/ Cleric as second class. Level 7 (along with level 13) happen the be the optimal level for power building a Fighter -> something else Dual class Human. So his Dual Class choice doesn't gimp him in any way (* coughs * Nalia * coughs *). In fact, considering how LOW the power ceiling for a pure class Cleric in Baldur's Gate is, Anomen shines as a perfectly viable fighter with the Flail of Ages. After a Cleric reaches level 17 and receives his second Lvl 7 spell, he don't have a lot going on for him at higher levels. Anomen, however, keeps scaling during ToB, since you can upgrade the Flail of Ages. Viconia may be really effective early game, since she will have a couple of Cleric levels over Anomen and will reach Lvl 7 Spells faster, but her late game is a joke. You don't need that many low level cleric spells, you need extra combat prowess, which comes either with added magic (Aerie) or melee strength (Anomen).

In short: Anomen, if built correctly, has the potential to become a powerful melee fighter ON TOP of being the party's cleric. So, yeah, there is your reason for keeping Anomen. If you hate his character concept, that's fine, I won't argue. But trying to deny his powergaming potential is just plain stupid.

Viconia is fantastic even late game. Give her shield of mirroring and some items for 100% magioc resists -> untouchable for any ranged attacker. Decent ranged fighter herself as well thanks to 19 dex score.

You can turn Vi into somewhat of a nuisance to enemy spellcasters if you put enough MR items on her and pump saving throws.

You generally need support before combat not during it (buffs). You buff and then whackamole everything quickly.

Combat can last longer than buffs or you can get into multiple fights in a relatively short period, so there are plenty of reasons to get into a fight beforehand.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Ranged characters aren't that dangerous. And Anomen would probably be better support too, he has more HP, in the end he will have as many spells and if you make him Good-aligned his spell selection would be better than Vi's I think (Holy Word). (don't remember if alignment shift changes his spells or if he has Holy Word already actually, was a long time I had him in party)

Sykar

Arcane
Ranged characters aren't that dangerous. And Anomen would probably be better support too, he has more HP, in the end he will have as many spells and if you make him Good-aligned his spell selection would be better than Vi's I think (Holy Word). (don't remember if alignment shift changes his spells or if he has Holy Word already actually, was a long time I had him in party)

Viconia will have more spells than Anomen since has a significantly higher Wisdom than him, especially if he fails the test. What's more she can be made immune to magic and ranged fighter's are dangerous enough. If you want to you can give her the belt with 18 Constitution and use the cleric buffs in conjunction with Flail or Crom she becomes a powerhouse even in melee.

Any character can get very powerful with the right spells and items. Simple as that.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
to be honest, I always thought bringing a cleric wasn't necessary in BG2. There's nothing healing-wise you can't replicate with scrolls/potions and those are abundant, so I'd always prefered to bring another wizard.

Sykar

Arcane
to be honest, I always thought bringing a cleric wasn't necessary in BG2. There's nothing healing-wise you can't replicate with scrolls/potions and those are abundant, so I'd always prefered to bring another wizard.

Buffs like party version of Protection from Evil are quite valuable. Bless and Chant are good as well, as is Negative Plane protection.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom