Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Watch Dogs Watch

Direwolf

Arcane
I managed to complete the tutorial yesterday and the game is hilariously bad. Terrible stealth, terrible driving physics, it just plays like Assassin's Creed with cell phones.

bert

Arcane
Aiden Pierce is supposed to be a vigilante and the writers shoehorned in a family so people know that he's a good guy.

Oh wait, let me go murder security guards in cold blood and steal some more money off people's bank accounts and cause traffic accidents by hacking the traffic lights because it's not like his niece didn't die in traffic (that was caused by hitmen, but the point still stands).

Angthoron

Arcane
Aiden Pierce is supposed to be a vigilante and the writers shoehorned in a family so people know that he's a good guy.

Oh wait, let me go murder security guards in cold blood and steal some more money off people's bank accounts and cause traffic accidents by hacking the traffic lights because it's not like his niece didn't die in traffic (that was caused by hitmen, but the point still stands).
Actually, the game does seem to portray him as a person with fairly serious mental or stress issues. I'm not sure if him not being very likeable is a byproduct of poor characterization, or actually intended, a-la JAYSUN from FC3. He's quite the fucking dumbass, in any case.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Main guy looks generic and boring as fuck. As cliche as it is, they should have given us a punk hacker chick as playable character, or anything more fun and anti-hero... someone really out for blood, and enjoying the ride, with snide remarks and all that...

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Ehhh... I have to say, Watch Dogs was completely over-hyped - Ubisoft fooled everyone once again. They do this every time, showing off what appears to be a completely new sandbox experience at some game convention. A 10-15 minute video revealing what people assume to be fragments of a much deeper and unique experience. Only later to realise on release day that no...there isn't more to do...Assassin's Creed is just a Parkour simulator...sorry...didn't you watch the 15 minute video?

Ubisoft are good at coming up with new ideas and building open world simulations from the ground up - that's it. They're terrible at making them into something that isn't prone to repetition and excruciating levels of padding game-play wise. They need to just do the technical work and leave the actual story and game-play progression to someone else - fuck knows it wasn't first on their list anyway.

The main story missions are so drawn out and forced it's painful, then you have the side missions which are practically cut and paste, no thought whatsoever. There is also NO skill involved with the hacking system, it is literally a chimpanzee treat game.

But the strangest things in this game are the Bit-trip missions - these involve you taking some drug which sends you into a hallucinogenic trip, completely out of place in the setting and appear crow-barred in at the last minute. I'm guessing when they announced the delay last November they took the opportunity to steal some ideas from Saints Row 4 rather than strengthen the weak hacking mechanics, odd priorities.

Like Assassin's Creed and FarCry 3, Watch Dogs is just a concept with a game loosely attached to it - a lazy game. It feels that way too when you're playing it - like one giant demo. The city is very pleasing to look at in terms of fidelity, but so sterile - there's absolutely no visual character to this game at all, just a veil of fancy effects. It's obvious that's where they put the majority of there efforts, trying to create some new benchmark app for Nvidia no doubt.

Ah well. I did believe the hype I must say - Deus Ex meets GTA? Sounded amazing. Glad I didn't end up paying money for it though hehe. Perhaps Watch Dogs 2 (or 4) will be better? - but knowing Ubisoft, innovation means adding whale-hunting pirates, not improving on the original concept.

Don't buy it. If you have already...I pity you haha.

Last edited:

Papa Môlé

Arcane
I played it some on a bro's Xbone. I am really not qualified to criticize this genre 'cause I haven't played one significantly since GTA3, but hey. The random missions out in the overworld are pretty good, with lots of variations on themes, and your best practices change significantly as you unlock more stuff. Lots of freedom in the methods you use. The MP 1v1 hacking game is a fun little hide and seek thing.

The big thing that jumped out at me is how astoundingly bad and stupid the writing is. The dialog just made me dizzy it's so poorly constructed and cringey. I dunno how you could make the main character seem more like a Batman voice douche or make the game more ludonarratively dissonant. This is not just me having issues with the GTA ripoff genre, I thought Sleeping Dogs did a pretty good job.

Brofist for deftly fitting 'ludonarratively dissonant' into the sentence without feeling forced.

Speaking of Sleeping Dogs is this game at least as good overall as that Codex? Also how good is the car radio soundtrack since you spend 50 percent of these games driving.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Kk30srY.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The competent marketer's name is Glenn Beck.

“This game is teaching you to hack into whatever is docked in your bedroom,” Beck says in the above segment. “What the heck is wrong with us? What are we thinking? We are inviting this into our home and our lives.

“The idea here is they are teaching you to hack and then become the ultimate voyeur in other people’s lives,”he also noted, “including their bedrooms, by hacking into their phones and everything.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...has-some-very-strange-ideas-about-watch-dogs/

So I was reading through the comments of the video and

Hell, some devs of the game reported that if you noticed a bug that wasnt related to your work, you actually had to submit a ticket, A FUCKING TICKET TO FIX YOUR OWN GAME, and it would take weeks to receive an answer...

qeDeDc.png

edit: oh lawd

All of the RAM went to animating Aiden's amazing jacket. None left for actual gameplay.

Last edited:

anus_pounder

Arcane
20+ hours in. Having a lot of fun but this is a pretty mediocre effort by ubisoft. I'd put it on par with Assassin's Creed I, very disappointing considering how much I loved ACIV and FC3. Retarded dialogue is typical of ubisoft, but they could've put some effort into the side-missions. Very dull stuff they are.

Oh well, :4/5: This is quite sad since every other open world ubisoft game has been a solid :5/5: for me, excluding ACI and now W_D.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Can you never do that again?

What, you mean buy a game that requires me to load 2-3 clients before I get to the actual game executable?

I've been considering it, though I made an exception for MMX some months ago.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
How come Steam's competition is fucking worse in every way ? Origin, Uplay. It's like they thought "hey, let's make our clients even more annoying than Steam, that'll bring us more users totally !".

Also, the side missions can get quite repetitive. I didn't hit that moment yet, but it's coming I can feel it.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I think he meant hotlinking CAD. It's worse than UPlay.

I know, I'm just being an ass. It's not a hotlink, though; it's been reupped.

I don't read CAD at all, so I wouldn't know why it's bad. I merely stumbled upon the comic.

Modron

Arcane
How come Steam's competition is fucking worse in every way ? Origin, Uplay. It's like they thought "hey, let's make our clients even more annoying than Steam, that'll bring us more users totally !".

Also, the side missions can get quite repetitive. I didn't hit that moment yet, but it's coming I can feel it.

Well isn't origin supposed to be not that bad in terms of DRM and always on connections it's a lot less invasive then steam for sure but then again it has the whole "not steam", only gets shit games, and the owned and operated by EA stigmas.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Steam was pretty shitty back in the day. It's gotten to a "lesser of evils" stage now, sure, but I really don't mind Origin all that much. Provided it's EITHER/OR, not Steam AND uplay or whatever.

I would go as far as saying that the hate that Steam still gets today is because the client used to be pretty fucking awful back in the day. There used to be way worse DRM like Starforce for example.

Remember this gif?

steam.gif

:lol:

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What, you mean buy a game that requires me to load 2-3 clients before I get to the actual game executable?

Uplay sucks but don't blame it for this part. You chose to also have to load Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom