Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Watch Dogs Watch

Direwolf

Arcane
We already have a hacking game. It is called Uplink and it is much better than this shit.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Tells you how far Rockstar really is techwise. I mean not quality, but the number of existing, polished systems they can improve upon between the titles. Basically every GTA game will be better than any new open-world game. That awesome amount of stuff already coded is unbeatable.

Lemming42

Arcane
Watch_Dogs is on my list of "games to purchase when they seriously drop way down in price" along with Asscreed 4. I kind of had a feeling Watch_Dogs might suck ass when I first saw the trailer everyone was raving about, but I won't know if it really sucks or not until I play it myself.

I was going to launch into a huge soliloquy about how much I love Mafia, but then I realized most of that stuff (especially bullet holes in the frigging ground) is really minor stuff that every game should have anyway. I can't believe such details are missed in games being made in 2014.

kazgar

Arcane
NRHeLh6.png

Modron

Arcane
The Dex is dissing the game mostly because despite possessing last gen graphics it hardly runs on current top of the line PCs. That plus the bait and switch in graphics quality reeks of false advertising but that's nothing new.

Drakron

Arcane
The Dex is dissing the game mostly because despite possessing last gen graphics it hardly runs on current top of the line PCs. That plus the bait and switch in graphics quality reeks of false advertising but that's nothing new.

Yes, its nothing new ... GTA IV also was poorly optimized, a lot of games are just ports with few optimizations in place but at the same time we have poorly optimized engines or games with options were if you put them on the max will run like shit because they were made "future proof" as those options were there in case of future software/hardware, not current one.

And the false advertisement isnt new either, there are things Watch Dogs does that are being ignore because "Grahpix whorix", like turning the city into a wapon by raising bridges, exploding underground pipes, etc ... this really havent been done before, yet "Ubisoft lied, Codex cried".

If I wanted to see a realistic looking city I WOULD STEP OUTSIDE.

Vibalist

Arcane
People buying shit and talking about it on the internet was never "designed" to amuse me but god did videogame consumers got boring. It just isn't entertaining anymore to read or post about this stuff in most places, even the Codex got a little dull, even though I still like this place and most of you fuckers. The point is, I don't see honesty in these criticisms anymore, it feels like thousands of retarded kids randomly stumbled upon the Codex and decided to act all edgy on Youtube and whatnot, but it's so biased it's stupidly ridiculous. People praise some of the shittiest stuff ever excreted on the game shelves, but when (especially) a GTA-like is released, everyone is suddenly a grandmaster connoisseur and a godsent critic of videogames. Maybe it's because I don't like chan humour, chan culture and channers' smug stance on game knowledge, going around acting all expert while jerking off to stuff like stupid visual novels and pretentious "artistic" indie crap.

I'm not even trying to defend Watch Dogs, haven't played it and probably won't for the next couple of years, but these guys can't convince even their moms with these fake standards, not to mention the people that's criticizing it for all the wrong reasons. It's our good 'n old retarded siblings, the idiots that jumped in and are now the most vocal group of self proclaimed "PC master race": people that don't give a single fuck about the great PC classics and the massive library full of awesome stuff that the PC have, they're here exclusively because of graphics bitching and graphics elitism to compare their games with the console counterparts. It isn't entertaining to follow any kind of game community anymore except for the odd thread about stuff I like and enjoy talking about, like, threads on the Oddworld series, Thief and the other LGS games, Twinsen's Odyssey, some good strategy or adventure games...

Journalists blowing the games and idiots nitpicking nonsense to bash them - I just realize I've reached a True Codexian stage of being: everything is shit.

Dude, shut the fuck up. Every bit of criticism levelled at this game is entirely justified.

You may have a point that The Codex nitpicks and goes overboard with its criticism, but in this particular case that is simply not what is happening. So maybe, when you feel like going on a rant the next time, you should pick a better thread to do it in.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Journalists blowing the games and idiots nitpicking nonsense to bash them - I just realize I've reached a True Codexian stage of being: everything is shit.

I'm supposed to be one of the biggest defenders of decline around here but Watch Doges looks boring as fuck, runs like shit on high-end PC hardware despite having an Xbox 360 version, lacks GTA4 levels of detail, has auto-fail stealth without quicksave and interactivity and takes itself way too fucking seriously. These are legitimate complaints if you ask me.

Lemming42

Arcane
I always force myself to avoid expressing opinions on any game/movie/book/series etc until I've actually experienced it myself, but the overwhelming wave of pure negativity being heaped on Watch_Dogs on every single site I've visited it pretty spectacular. Still looks like there might be some fun in pissing around with the hacking options.

Peter

Arcane
Yep, the bi-monthly hype backlash shitstorm over a new big AAA game has gotten really idiotic. Why do people keep fucking buying these games if there's such a high chance of them being a boring, buggy, falsely advertised, compromised PoS, and why does the internet have to be overflooded with the backlash every damn time?

Vibalist

Arcane
Sorry, are you retarded? Because my point wasn't about the Codex itself but the general masses of gamers that blindly rushes to the stores to pick up the latest shit made by David Cage, or the latest Call of Duty/Halo/Titanfall/whatever, or the latest pretentious crap full of "deep messages" like Spec Ops: The Line. Have you been around youtube or other forums looking at Watch Dogs related stuff? These same consumers are now the ultimate game critics and are saying WD is the epitome of decline and the highest peak of failure to deliver on past promises.

My bad. I misread. I apologize.

I'd still say it's a positive thing that this game is recieving a lot of flak for its flaws, even if the people criticising it are usually not very descerning. But you're right that it's kind of ridiculous that it's only Watch Dogs that recieves this treatment.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'd still say it's a positive thing that this game is recieving a lot of flak for its flaws, even if the people criticising it are usually not very descerning. But you're right that it's kind of ridiculous that it's only Watch Dogs that recieves this treatment.

The same thing happened with the original Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 2, but their sequels still sold tons.

Machocruz

Arcane
So this is another game where each gameplay approach is just as good as another? This was sold as "the hacking game," so is hacking vital to your survival and success? Or is it like the NuStealth games where you are superman, so sneaking around is ridiculous.

Ringhausen

Augur
They should've made the game about stalking and serial killing. Vigilantism is pretty boring.

And boy did it feel dumb going apeshit on the street, mowing down people with an assault rifle GTA style and then have the news coverage start playing about "some people disagreeing with the vigilante's methods".

baturinsky

Arcane
So this is another game where each gameplay approach is just as good as another? This was sold as "the hacking game," so is hacking vital to your survival and success? Or is it like the NuStealth games where you are superman, so sneaking around is ridiculous.

"Hacking" is mostly just using gadgets and environment Arkham City-style. Mostly, cameras - in this game they are your best friends, you can "possess" them and bounce from one to another as long as there is a line of sight. There are missions, build completely around camera hopping.

But yes, most of time you can ignore hacking and/or stealth and just kill everybody.

There is also a lot of vehicle chases and I really like when you are the one running away. AI acts very natural when chasing/searching for you both on foot and on wheels - they are not omniscient, but they spread out and sieve the area when they lose you.

Gozma

Arcane
I played it some on a bro's Xbone. I am really not qualified to criticize this genre 'cause I haven't played one significantly since GTA3, but hey. The random missions out in the overworld are pretty good, with lots of variations on themes, and your best practices change significantly as you unlock more stuff. Lots of freedom in the methods you use. The MP 1v1 hacking game is a fun little hide and seek thing.

The big thing that jumped out at me is how astoundingly bad and stupid the writing is. The dialog just made me dizzy it's so poorly constructed and cringey. I dunno how you could make the main character seem more like a Batman voice douche or make the game more ludonarratively dissonant. This is not just me having issues with the GTA ripoff genre, I thought Sleeping Dogs did a pretty good job.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks

The same thing happened with the original Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 2, but their sequels still sold tons.
Can't speak for Far cry 3 yet, but Assassin's Creed 2 was a big improvement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom