Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Perkel

Arcane
Found amazing deal:

http://www.dealzon.com/deals/valkyria-chronicles-pc-dl

13,85$ instead of 17,99€ which is like 30% difference.

So how the anime representative of this? I tried to watch it, but it was too mediocre to capture an attention for more than a few episodes.

As i liked VC1 i tried to watch it.
Frankly game is way better written. Anime gone full weaboo and like you i said fuck it after like episode 3.

I am planning to do VC1 --> VC3
fired up VC3 for a while and seems from first few minutes to fix VC2 writing problems.

Gonna try VC1 on hard.

Grinolf

Arcane
Frankly game is way better written. Anime gone full weaboo and like you i said fuck it after like episode 3.

Well, I didn't have any problem with 'weabooism", whatever that means, but with how the anime, that being centred purely around a specific conflict, didn't spent any efforts to make said conflict interesting, as I didn't see any reasons to care about either side. And characterwise, protagonist was too blatant copy of Wenli, his friend looked like someone who would just die in the middle or the end of the series, and main heroine was simply boring. The jewish sister was ok though.

Avellion

Erudite
Early impressions from people who played the PC version have said that the game is surprisingly well optimized and ported to PC, with load times being extremely small.

Maybe Creative Assembly can learn a lesson or 2 :troll: (Yes, yes, I know, optimizing total war is a lot harder than optimizing Valkyria Chronicles, just taking a jab at how badly optimized those games are regardless).

On a serious note, it is nice to hear that the port is not a lazy one, I seriously have had enough of those.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
Am I the only one who thought 2 was better. Yes, the story in 2 makes you cringe a bunch but the story in 1 is trying to be serious and I feel this game does better to keep things light. I also think the gameplay improves quite a bit in the second one.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
Based on the 10 pages before your comment, yes, yes you are.

Well, its not really possible for me to take a game series like this too seriously (even with the World War II overtures) and in 2 I was expecting to roll my eyes constantly anyway. And the game play undeniably improved IMO.

I also played 3 which went back to the more serious tone and made a few extra strides in gameplay. For me it took a big step back by encouraging so much class shifting. Basically killed my desire to finsihed VC3.

kentable

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Thanks for the discount tip Perkel. I found a similar deal under GreenmanGaming VIP section. But wtf, 25 gig install? I guess it's time to install a new HDD or three.

Perkel

Arcane
Its only 15GB and it is dual audio also game has ton of good quality CGI in between missions.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Spotted @GAF:

valkyria-chronicles-3-1024x576.png

valkyria-chronicles-5-1024x576.png

valk-chronicles-2-1024x576.png

Perkel

Arcane
Game apperently doesn't have any upper limit on resolution.

Durante posted 8k setting at 144hz

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Can't wait for the game to unlock and this thread turn into a debate about squads WAIFUS!

Been ages since I played it, so it will be like everything's new... except for the level layouts, that I somehow still remember most. :P

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Someone remind me to sell my PS3 copy, clearly this version is the only one I should care about.

Thank America for Veteran's day tomorrow. All that free time just to play Valkyria Chronicles.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
ETA 10 hours and today it the Polish Day of Independence. How very appropriate.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If this requires a $60 gamepad to play, I'm out.

Martius

Liturgist
http://www.pcgamer.com/valkyria-chronicles-pc-port-analysis-durantes-verdict/
Controls in menus are mapped directly from the console version, without mouse support.
As for the second point, it certainly came as a shock to me initially, recalling the dark times of keyboard-only controls in Japanese PC ports. However, after playing the game with mouse and keyboard for about 6 hours I can say with confidence that it’s merely a minor inconvenience. This is due to two reasons: as I’ll detail later, mouse support is great in the central meat of the game—its tactical battles; and the keyboard controls work fast and intuitively in the menus, with a great default set of keybindings.
If thats true then its not that bad. I was afraid of no mouse support at all but I think we can endure menus without it.

Perkel

Arcane
If this requires a $60 gamepad to play, I'm out.

If you play console port game without pad you are doing it wrong.

doing it right:

Get working used DS3 pad
get BT3.0+ dongle
get motionjoy 7.0+
get "better DS3" program.
add better DS3 to startuplist

if you do it this way DS3 will function absolutely the same as if your PC would be PS3.

Martius

Liturgist
Hm, I dont know why but I can play it right now! Maybe its some bug or just nice surprise from Sega. I will see how it playS with mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
UNLOCKED. TO YOUR STATIONS PEOPLE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom