Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Oh fucking hell. I just mailed getgamesgo.com asking them what-the-hell about the description on their site calming that [...]Within this struggle a hero named Welkin, and his fellow soldiers of the Federation's 7th Platoon[...]. This is their response:

Hi,

Thanks for your message and for letting us know.

We are given the text for the webpage from the publishers Sega. They then approve it or ask us to amend or adjust anything on that page. We’ll put your comments to them, but just so you’re aware it seems its identical text that’s given to Steam too.

Thanks,
XXXXX(blip)
Apparently SEGA's PR department, after 6 years, forgot what the game was about.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
So, any reason to actually buy it on PC if I already own it on PS3? Are there any mods or player-created content coming?

Oh fucking hell. I just mailed getgamesgo.com asking them what-the-hell about the description on their site calming that [...]Within this struggle a hero named Welkin, and his fellow soldiers of the Federation's 7th Platoon[...].

I can't remember the whole plot, but wasn't Gallia and Federation allied at some point of the game? And then betrayed by it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I already found out that I was wrong.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, any reason to actually buy it on PC if I already own it on PS3?

I can think of 2 reasons:

- The PC version includes all the DLC as well as the Hard difficulty mode (dunno if the latter was in the PS3 version too).

- You want to support more PC ports like this in the future.

Personally I'm buying it because of reason 2 no matter what.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
So, any reason to actually buy it on PC if I already own it on PS3?

I can think of 2 reasons:

- The PC version includes all the DLC as well as the Hard difficulty mode (dunno if the latter one was in the PS3 version too).

- You want to support more PC ports like this in the future.

Personally I'm buying it because of reason 2 no matter what.
But I already have all the DLC's, which are mostly just for flavor (short as fuck). Now hard mode is great, it was reason enough for me to complete the game second time a year later. That was REALLY challenging I'll tell you.

Err, why would I want to support PC ports if I own a console..?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Err, why would I want to support PC ports if I own a console..?

Because you should think of all of us who don't own a console (but want to be able to play good games nevertheless) / think of PC gaming in general? :P
I suggest you join the Dark Side instead. Buy PS3 today, so you can:

- Play some really, REALLY fucked up jRPGs you never heard of. Like Resonance of Fate, for instance. Oh, the horrors you will see...
- Do the dumbest thing in your life: buy Skyrim on PS3! Experience TES game as it was MEANT to be played: no mods, joystick controls, and shitty graphics. Clean and vanilla experience, oh yeah!
- Play fighting games with japanese players online! This is a whole new level of getting pwnd!
- Pay 60$ for the game, 20$ for all the DLCs and THEN buy it on PC again, to support other gamers!

Oh, the joy of owning a console!

Drakron

Arcane
Well to be fair, there is one as exclusives but right now that just means Nintendo and Sony ... Uncharted is not going for PC and neither will be the Wonderful 101.

But thats it, back in the PS2 generation ... yes, a lot of games that were exclusive outside first party games but today its too simple to simply port to PC as well, Demon Souls isnt going to PC for a simple reason, SCE was involved and Sony have no interest on porting it for the PC.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Well to be fair, there is one as exclusives but right now that just means Nintendo and Sony ... Uncharted is not going for PC and neither will be the Wonderful 101.

But thats it, back in the PS2 generation ... yes, a lot of games that were exclusive outside first party games but today its too simple to simply port to PC as well, Demon Souls isnt going to PC for a simple reason, SCE was involved and Sony have no interest on porting it for the PC.
Exclusives, yeah. I kept repeating that to myself too. But as times passes, more and more games are ported on PC, so my list of self-reassuarance keeps getting shorter. Valkyria Chronicles left it too. *sigh*

So what I got left? Demons Souls, God of War series, MGS 4. That's it, I suppose. Never was a fan of Uncharted and never heard of Wonderful 101.

Drakron

Arcane
Valkyria Chronicles left it too.

Sega isnt first party since the Dreamcast and they moved from the Xbox to now to about everything.

Its only odd as being old but its still Sega, not locked as they dont have a horse in the console race anymore ... plus the "exclusives generation" ended with the PS2, PS3/Xbox 360 was multiplatform and things are continuing down that path, right now its only a question if you want Sony first party or Microsoft first party and the way things are the Xbox is entirely redundant as Microsoft is abandoning first party.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There's also some other fun stuff on consoles, like backlog on PSN, or some digital release games like Hard Corps: Uprising.

The only way to play the greatest mecha sim series of all time, Armored Core, is also only possible on consoles (I am purposefully not counting emulation, since emulation doesn't give anything back to the supply side of gaming).

And of course, fighting games.
Most of them are on Steam now.

Though it's an older version of BlazBlue.
P4 Arena is also only on consoles (fun fact: And the only region-locked PS3 game evar), the Steam BlazBlue is Calamity Trigger (the first of its series, home version of Chrono Phantasma has twice that number and two additional DLC characters; Chrono Phantasma has so far only been released on PS3 and Vita, and only got limited digital release in Europe, I ordered my Collector's Edition from Kwa), Steam also lacks the HD Remix of Street Fighter 2, and the rereleased online version of Street Fighter 3: Third Strike. What Steam's got is Street Fighter IV, Mortal Kombat, and the latest King of Fighters.

Not to mention I'd feel like an asshole if I wasted time setting up the computer in the living room and the telly, fighting games are meant to be played sitting on a sofa.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What Steam's got is Street Fighter IV, Mortal Kombat, and the latest King of Fighters.
And Injustice and Skull Girls. There are still a few though you can get though yes.

Not to mention I'd feel like an asshole if I wasted time setting up the computer in the living room and the telly, fighting games are meant to be played sitting on a sofa.
I don't understand this at all. I've had a dedicated livingroom PC for years now. With a $10 bluetooth adapter, it's almost as smooth an experience as the PS3.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Yakuza games are really fun and exlcusive to the PS3/PS4. I'd rebuy them if they got a PC release.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
A modern PC + HDMI cable + BIG fucking TV + dvd player with 5.1 sound system = perfect graphic-whoring station. For all your FPS and other Skyrims.

I only play console for multiplayer experience, since PC online community is in most cases shitty due to anonymous. Dark Souls be the proof of that. Console online community, on the other hand, tends to be more humane. Exclusives are mostly one-timers, with little or no replayability at all. Fighting and racing games are kinda fun, but you get tired of them eventually. And then there are jRPGs. I just can't take it anymore, my sanity is rapidly flying away afte all those FF XIII, FF XIII-2, Reonance of Fate, White Knight Chronicles - they are utterly HORRIBLE! But on a whole different level.

Disgaea 3, 4 & D2, Ni no Kuni, Sengoku Basara, Nier... I'm sure there are a few other jRPGs.
I never played neither of them. Why do I always make wrong choices when it comes to jRPGs?

So I mostly play slow-paced cRPGs and strategies on my laptop.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
http://www.nichegamer.net/2014/11/sega-has-taken-a-huge-loss-turning-to-online-sales/

Sega recently released some of their income records for the past two years to the public, and it’s not really pretty. On top of that, they released a statement regarding the majority of their policy going forward.

The company has seen a significant portion of their sales—a large, significant portion—coming from online purchases, as opposed to physical ones. With that in mind, Sega is now looking toward their online sales marketing to hope to make up some of the difference.

In fact, Sega is going as far as restructuring its entire corporation, just about. They already have plans to restructure their companies into three major business groups by April of 2015:

• First is a pachislot and pachinko division focused on the machines produced primarily by the Sammy Corporation.
  • Second is the Entertainment division, focused around Sega Corporation’s network game business.
  • Last is the Resort division, focused on the development of hotels, golf courses, and facility businesses among others.
Of course, the harshness of the market was blamed for the downturn in physical sales but, as any consumer (at least outside of Japan) will tell you, Sega simply doesn’t manage their assets well abroad. Valkyria Chronicles coming to PC is a move in the right direction, but even that is toward digital only.

On the other hand, maybe this sudden shift to digital output will finally give Phantasy Star Online 2 the push it needs …

Read more at http://www.nichegamer.net/2014/11/s...-turning-to-online-sales/#kFPFLkRMf6PGcCqk.99
Free Market, Fuck Yeah!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I thought SEGA already made most of their money from PC. Doesn't that imply online sales?

I'm probably just not smart enough to be a SEGA executive.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
SEGA's top priority in terms of a business is maintaining Game Dev Hell (read: Sonic development teams).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom