Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Talos Principle 2

ferratilis

Magister
I still haven't played a good game this year, hoping this will be the first one. Good price, as well. Slightly cheaper if you own the first one.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Shiieet, looks dope, this red rock gives some Myst 4 vibes
I can barely meet the min requirements...

TTP2.jpg

3 others

Scholar
I'm surprisingly psyched for this. The first Talos Principle was a stellar combination of audiovisual craft, clever puzzling and solid middlebrow sci-fi. This looks to be more of the same.

It's as clear a Day 1 purchase as there's going to be these days. I'm not gonna watch/read/consume any more previews since the decision is already made. Gonna go in blind as a bat.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Not gonna dive into it immediately, I'm not yet to finish Road To Gehenna.

Btw how is the expansion compared to the base game?

3 others

Scholar
Not gonna dive into it immediately, I'm not yet to finish Road To Gehenna.

Btw how is the expansion compared to the base game?
It's shorter and gets straight to the point (i.e. no ramp-up with tutorial levels), but essentially you get more & better Talos Principle. The theme is a bit different with a bunch of other robots poasting in their local rpgcodex while waiting for the end of the world.

I really liked that you no longer have to collect EVERY star to access the bonus levels.

3 others

Scholar
The demo is (apparently) out. It's visible in Steam store search but the link directs to the main game preorder page instead. However, a direct Steam link seems to work: steam://install/2312690

A 22,5GB demo downloadable... damn, I'm getting old.

Beowulf

Arcane
Ok, the demo is quite lengthy and features the signature pseudo-open spaces the first game had.
I don't really like how they shifted from having philosophical undertones to fully fledged dialogues and voiced characters, as the writing and ideas are rather mediocre so far. But in the puzzles department it looks like more of the same, which is good in my book.

KACtUSj.jpeg

WQPZhTz.jpeg

X00u2kk.jpeg

06D1CF63923D07336EBE53264DB452EB2DBA27D3

4B8EEA1879870A9160473BD476D8C40C03921E70

A85E0BEBBCCA0B8017D1CD195745EB542B84122B

Last edited:

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I have similar thoughts on the demo. The dialogue itself did not impress me with how vulgar and casual it is especially when compared to the first game. One of the themes in the first Talos Principle involves the development of consciousness and personality which I would then assume that artificial lifeforms trained on thousands of years of text would be less crass in their speech. Right now the dialogue delivery reeks of something found in a medium budget Netflix show. At the moment the only other complaint I have is how the game appears to be revisiting the philosophy of whether a machine can be human or not. It appears the game might dabble into societal stagnation and the uncertainty of the future but so far the philosophical excerpts provided have not piqued my interests. Still the puzzles are good and the new tools shown will allow for interesting ideas. As of now I will likely purchase the game day one.

Last edited:

3 others

Scholar
Started replaying Road to Gehenna to prep my brain for Talos Principle 2. Damn these puzzles were memorable. I can recall all the main levels but fortunately only a few of the solutions off the bat. The first playback puzzle took me ages to get going.

Hopefully the platforming will be less fidgety with the new engine.

ferratilis

Magister
Every Devolver game is on GOG, don't see the reason this one wouldn't be as well.

They really talk too much. Sense of isolation was a big part of the first game. But it looks great, regardless.

Beowulf

Arcane
The full release feels rushed and it shows that the team didn't full grasp Unreal Engine workings yet.
There was a lot of small stutter during transitions in the demo, so they added some shaders precaching for 1.0, but there is no info about that when you launch the game for the first time, so the intro just lags incredibly for half a minute or more depending on your specs.
Same for HDR not working properly for some people and confusing DLSS and DLAA settings.

But still - the puzzles are more of the same, which is great and you don't really notice the technical side of things when you start playing.

Beowulf

Arcane
Ok, the writing is so poor I dread any more of NPC's conversations or reading those time capsules. It pretends to ask important questions and quote deep philosophy but in reality it is very flat and rather immature in its tone.
We have our fellow robots asking us about the meaning of sacrifice and progress and just a mere seconds of sprinting away you can browse through a cat images gallery.

Technically the full release has a lot of problems with lighting, shimmering, unnecessary rendering in certain places and so on, I'd refund it and wait a couple more months if I hadn't already played >2 hours.

ferratilis

Magister
Every time I break the patient gaming rule, I get reminded why I became a patient gamer in the first place. But they'll definitely sort those issues out. As for the writing, it's a bummer, because the first one was competently written.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
It's weird cuz Jonas Kyratzes' writing is decent overall. As for the tech problems they should be fixed by the time it is released on GOG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom